Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by ingwe
As long as negative opinions on effectiveness of the little rounds and experience with same remain in inverse proportion to one another, the debate will continue.
My experience killing deer with .22 CF's goes back to the 80's and amounts to roughly 40 deer. I think they're adequate when used with reasonable care and skill. I don't think they're the ultimate deerslayers and they do have their limitations/shortcomings. Contrary to popular opinion here, deer can and do run off after being well hit with .22 cal. bullets and often leave skimpy or nearly non existent blood trails. Hence they might not be the best choice in heavy cover for someone whose tracking skills are less than exemplary. Of course this evaluation in all honesty may not apply with the use of modern "super bullets" like TSX'S as I've never used them.

BH your synopsis is right on.The 22s aren't the ultimate...the new bullets help immensely, but great care and not a little skill must be applied. In the right hands they are truly as good as anything, in the wrong hands they are as bad as anything.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe