Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Way over 50% were moving, some flat out. Like Miles and NoKnees, I grew up hunting deer in drives or with hounds. A standing shot was a luxury you very seldom enjoyed. Learned to lead game a LOT. One of my best blacktail was at full throttle about 150 yards away. I put the crosshairs on his nose and hit him just in front of his tail TWICE. Not my best shooting...
When hunting brush, I learned to shoot the deer in the air. Why? Because they can't changed direction once they leave the ground and are on a predictable arc. Just like shooting quail.
Since I hunt on stands now and usually by myself most are standing these days.

This, especially at close range with deer leaping and bounding through woods on a leasurely 3/4 speed while well ahead of hounds. Many have been missed by normally good shots, even with shotguns, when deer have dodged sharply on seeing a hunter move to take the shot. Its best not to move until it starts going up as it cant change direction, but you best be quick as on rising quail and take the shot before it hits the ground.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/21/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.