I've hunted deer along the Colorado River just up stream from the mexican border for many years. I've run into lots of odvious illegals over the years.
I've never had a problem or even the slightest threat from any of them. But I've always been armed. I had three of them walk into our camp asking for help one dark night as we about to hit the bags. That did shake us up a bit, but, again, no problems.
Had several conversations with a local who worked as a volunteer for the sheriff's search and rescue unit. He carried a Colt National Match 1911 and two extra magazines of hardball. It was not for hunting according to him. He told me that most of who we'd meet were poor people who were no threat to us. But he also said that really bad criminal sorts and terrorists would also used the same routes. Anyone traveling alone, particularly if dressed for hiking, can easily be one of these. The worst of these sorts however were the guides who the "poor people" would hire. Locally known as coyotes, they were ruthless people who were known to abandon families with children in remote desert areas during the summer months. He had actaully found some of these groups both near death or dead. He made it clear to us to never turn our backs on these sorts. And to be armed at all times. E