I had an issue once when quail hunting in San Diego County, California, several miles north of the Mexican Border. I returned to my truck to see a line of about 150 people walking passed it. A few of them were armed. All I had on me was a 20 gauge Ugartechea side by side.

One of the armed men pulled a pistol on me and told me to leave in Spanish and then very bad English. I responded by telling him his problem was that he masturbated too much, told him we could both just leave each other alone or I'd turn his head in to a salad bowl with my Uggie. My yellow lab started to growl at him, and he backed off. I kept my gun on him as he did this, opened the door on my truck without taking my eyes off him, reached in for my 92F, pointed that at him, put my shotgun in my truck, reached in to my back pocket, produced my Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Badge....

I had another incident closer to the border that same day.

I decided that, while the quail hunting seemed good, I'd stick to my old haunts in San Bernardino and Kern counties and points north, as the quail hunting down there in San Diego County wasn't worth the drama I had experienced that day.