Originally Posted by erich
In another thread about handguns it was suggested that instead of a light back up handgun I should abandon hunting with my drilling and instead opt for an AR with multiple 30 round mags due to a possible run in with armed drug dealers or bandits.

Has anyone or does anyone know of a person here in the U.S. that had to fight his way out of LEGAL hunting situation where he needed multiple high capacity mags or died because they had exhausted the ammo for their standard hunting rifle or shotgun?

Actual experience or documented knowledge, not "I know a guy whose cousin" kind of story.

I ran up on one particular grow operation a few years ago on NF land here in Southern Oregon. I was carrying a Savage 99 in .358 Winchester loaded with 5+1, and a Ruger 5 shot 357 wheelgun. Extra ammo was stored in my pack. There were several armed guards positioned around the hidden operation. All were carrying some sort of high capacity semi auto's slung over their shoulders on straps. They also had at least two additional magazines each in belt pouches. Overhead nets concealed the grow from aerial surveillance, with thick 1" cables strung from tree to tree to support them. I remember a freshly bulldozed road through the forest leading into the grow.
By the time I recognized what it was, I had been spotted by at least two of the people there. While my wife speaks spanish, I don't, so I have no idea what they were shouting as they all became aware I was in sight of them. Many thoughts raced through my mind at that instant. Where to conceal myself... was there a big log or tree I could jump behind for protection from flying lead? Exactly how many people were here? Which pouch was my extra ammo in and would I be able to retrieve it to reload while taking fire?!
The first shots may have just been warning shots, because I don't remember hearing any bullets buzzing by me. I dove to the ground and crawled back towards where I'd come from about 30' until I found a 30" fir tree to jump behind. 30" trunk, 150' tall, not 30" tall fir!! By now the bullets were spraying bark all around me and striking the tree fast. I couldn't look around the tree on either side as the bullets were just ripping it up. The only solution was to hit the dirt and sneak to a shallow ravine I remembered crossing just a few yards back. Maybe I could get enough cover to either make an escape or avoid getting hit. I don't know how I made it back to the ravine w/o being hit, the bullets were cutting up the brush all around me. Maybe they couldn't see me clearly in the rhododendrons with me in full camo, I'll never know. Later I discovered I'd been hit 5 times, so who knows, maybe I did take a couple then??
Once in the ravine the shooting stopped. I heard lots of talk but I couldn't understand it. I got the impression they had fanned out to search for me. I was hearing shouts all over the woods now as they circled and searched for me.
The first one I shot was creeping silently along with his AR at waist level, finger on the trigger. I jumped up and shouted "Nacho Libre'
Amigo!!", just in time to see him turn towards me before the 200 grain Hornady Spire point from the 358 (loaded to 2400 fps with a middle of the road load of IMR 4198) caught him in the juggler. He fell to the ground clutching his throat, blood squirting out between his fingers as he went down. In retrospect, I got over-penetration so I'll check out the 180 BT's next. Anyway, back to the story. As the rest heard the shot they rushed my position. I emptied the Savage, claiming 5 of the growers with my 6 shots. I think I under-led the one I missed, he was running top speed as I swung on him. I tried to remember my bird hunting and clay shooting, but I just blew the shot, plain and simple. Anyhow, the next 5 all fell cleanly to the Ruger 357 with Winchester 110 grain HP factory loads. Most were at hand to hand range but there wasn't time to retrieve a knife so they got the bullets instead. The one at 50 yards was a fluke, I don't claim to be any kind of crack shot, just dumb luck on that one. His head exploded well, but I'm thinking for the longer shots a guy should stick with the 125's. I can't say enough about the effectiveness of the little 110 on illegals though. Mighty impressive.
As the bullets rained in on me I was able to reload both weapons while surveying my environment. Upon reloading I was able to get another 8 potheads with my sloppiest shooting of the day. The last one fell to my Spiderco because I just couldn't get reloaded in time. Oh well, it was time to sharpen it anyhow. I wish Savage had thought to make 30 rounders for the old 99, that would've been sweet.

In all, I'd say no, I haven't felt a real need for more firepower than a regular hunting rifle and revolver. Sure you need a knife for close work, but hey, we're hunting here so duh, of course you have one. By then it's just cleanup detail anyhow. So if I was the Op I wouldn't worry too much about it. Might want to bring along a few bandages though so you don't have to rip up your scent lok camo clothes for tourniquets. That sucks. Especially since the knife gets all dulled up sawing on neck bones.

JMO. YMMV.

LOL