My first came through my family. My eldest cousin owned it and was a great hunter and marksman. He served our country with distinction in Vietnam and was awarded a couple of Bronze stars along with several purple hearts, an All American swimmer at IU, and successful attorney who practiced law in Colorado and Wyoming. He unfortunately passed away in 84'

His step father (which was his father)then had the rifle and it sat in a gun cabinet in his basement in Kenmore, NY until 2008 when he called me and asked if I wanted it. I of course said yes and he sent it to me.

Time in the basement wasn't kind to the rifle, the finish was mostly gone and wood gray to the point you couldn't even see grain. The metal had a white scum crusted to it, it had a un-ground whiteline recoil pail, missing front sight, extractor was jeweled and just kind of ugly. I don't think my Uncle could even stand to look at it all those years, his death was very hard on the family.

I decided to rescue it back to the condition it deserved. I refinished the stock, lifted dents and dings, cleaned metal up with steel wool and break free, found sights, found extractor, and put new optics on it. I was able to take a pronghorn in Kansas with it and send a picture to my uncle shortly before he passed away. A decorated WWII veteran himself and a great man.

1961 270 fwt

[Linked Image]