There are some good rifle ranges and the whole valley is well stocked with all manner of outdoor shops. Hunting, RVing, skiing, you name it the Salt Lake Valley has a shop for it.

The suggestion to live close to work isn't a bad one. But there are longer distance commutes that aren't bad. Great neighborhoods in most all parts of the valley, just depends on what you like.

I lived in the area for 9 years and if I move back to the West, it's not on my radar for top picks. That said, I would pick it over most any place I know of in the mid/upper midwest. You'll be close to a lot of fun outdoor places, but so are lots of folks. It can take a bit of travel to really get away from the crowds, but you're a 5 hour drive away from a great diversity of landscapes and things to do.

Unless you are LDS, be prepared to be a religious minority. It wasn't that big of a deal for me, but was for my wife. To sum up the social aspect of SLC, I'd say it's the friendliest place I've been but the hardest place to make friends. I'm sure that would've changed had we/I made a more concerted effort to get involved in groups and activities.

Last edited by pointer; 04/20/15.