Salt Lake City is like any other city in our country wrt living there... good and bad with all! I agree with what most have already said.

I've lived in my share of places (west/midwest) over the years, including Alaska; SLC; Fargo, N.D.; Kansas City; Hutchinson, KS; Southern California; and various other towns in Utah. Here is my take and I will add that I am LDS.

Good:
1. Salt Lake is relatively clean and safe for a typical city. Still has some tougher areas and not as "sheltered" as it used to be.
2. Great climate! SLC is basically in a high desert valley surrounded by beautiful mountains which collect lots of snow in the winter for recreation and fill beautiful streams and lakes in the summer for recreation, all locally! You can be outside year round and enjoy yourself!
3. Proximity to outdoor "paradise" elsewhere. SLC is within 2-3 hours drive formally other beautiful areas along the Wasatch Front and western Wyoming. SLC is only 3-6 hours away from southern Idaho, Sun Valley, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, central Wyoming, Flaming Gorge, the Western Slope of Colorado, Moab, multiple southern Utah National Parks like Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, etc., Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and St. George to the south.
4. A longer days drive or easy flight out of SLC will get you to Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, LA, the Bay Area, or Boise if you really want to go.
5. Quality higher education: UofU, Westminster, SLCC locally with easy access to BYU, UVU, Weber State, and Utah State University.
6. Health Care: UofU, IHC, HCA, and Iasis as well as smaller facilities are well established in the Salt Lake Valley.
7. Entertainment/Arts: Professional sports like Jazz basketball, baseball, hockey as well as college sports. Ballet West, Capitol Theatre, Sundance Film Festival, multiple nice museums as well as concert venues.
8. Cultural Diversity: The LDS church has fostered some of this as well as probably limited it at the same time. The Salt Lake Valley (and Carbon County to the south) are probably only about 50% LDS now and it is perceptible. Many like to criticize the Church for it's influence even today, but dating back to Brigham Young's planning for the valley in the 1850's to today's majority of legislators and lawmakers, it is part of what has kept SLC desirable and nice as a place to live and raise a family, like it or not.
9. LOTS of accessible public land with reasonable hunting and fishing opportunities.
10. Public transit: UTA is continuing to expand their transit routes along the Wasatch Front making it easier to get around if you do not want to deal with the traffic. You can now take a combination of high speed trains, electric trolleys to get from Provo in the south to Ogden in the north and out to Salt Lake International if you want for a reasonable fee.

Bad:
1. The Wasatch Front has been "discovered". It does not seem that long ago that total population of the state was 1-1.5 million people. Now it is closer to 3 million if not more... much of that is concentrated along the Wasatch Front which extends from Ogden through Salt Lake and down to Provo. It is very densely populated and feels a lot like "Southern California North" at times. The development has brought convenience, variety, and jobs to the area, but not without a price. The freeways have become more congested for longer periods of the day and many, including myself, choose to commute. I commute weekly from up north to work in Utah County where I maintain an apartment. The 80-90 mile drive on congested, sometimes snowy or foggy roads from Prove to Ogden can take their toll on you for sure , but that is the price I pay to have a little breathing room, a trout stream in the back yard, and a beautiful view of the mountains from my deck!!! Many others commute from the Heber Valley, Park City, the Tooele Valley and other locations to find a little "space", peace, or quiet.
2. Winter inversions and overall general air quality. Part of what makes the area so scenic also creates problems with air movement many times during the year, particularly in the winter. The parallel-running mountain ranges run north-south. The Wasatch Front is also bounded by low valley "passes" south of Provo and north just above the Idaho border. Stagnant air gets trapped easily in the basins year round and it takes a major storm system to clean them out. Automobile traffic (increasing), refineries, manufacturing, wood-burning, and livestock all add to the problem! I remember one particularly bad year (1983-84) when it seemed like 3 or 4 weeks went by when you could not see downtown SLC from the UofU up on the hill where I was a student at the time. It was cold, ugly, and quite depressing. The only reprieve was to get up into the mountains where it was sunny and 20-30 degrees warmer!!!
3.There are a lot of hunters and fisherman in Utah competing for a finite amount of public land access. Development has had a lot of negative impact on winter range for mule deer especially, as well as agricultural land for pheasants. However, Elk remain strong as do other upland birds like forest grouse and chuckars. Turkey numbers are growing. Quail, huns, sage hens, and sharptails are limited. Waterfowl hunting can be good at times for a desert... not the midwest however! Fishing is excellent for trout, especially in reservoirs. Streams can be great as well but access can be limited in many instances. There are warm water options as well in multiple reservoirs but once again, it would be hard to compare it to the midwest! Much of the best big game hunting in now found in limited entry tag formats or on private land at a price regulated by supply and demand!!! I find myself wandering off to Wyoming more frequently for antelope, deer, and elk and returning to Kansas or the Dakotas for my pheasant "fix" each fall.
4. Diversity... some struggle more with this than others. I think if you sit inside all the time, dwell on the traffic going through your local LDS church parking lot or temple during the week, and want a liquor store on every corner you might have problems being happy! Get outside, enjoy what the region has to offer, be a good friendly neighbor, and politely tell your neighbors if you don't care to meet the local missionaries and you'll be fine. LDS people have to do the same thing when living outside of Utah and they are in the "minority". Some people are better at this than others.
5. Job market. While the Utah economy is strong for a number of good reasons. The local job market can be a little quirky. Being a "desirable" place to live for many reasons and being predominantly LDS, the job market can be tight and competitive for the best jobs. These same forces tend to drive salaries down compared to elsewhere. My best job professionally, taking everything in to consideration, was in the midwest. I knew this would likely be the case when I came "home". It was worth it to me!!!

Utah is a great place, not perfect, but very nice. I suspect from my limited experience that Minnesota is the same!

Good luck with your choice!!!