Hi bcraig,
while I have used and recommend many 6x's and can attest to their ruggedness my last buy was a vx3 that has been hard used and remains spot on. It is on a lightweight 260 in S and K rings.

Three points you may consider:
1. No one mentioned the improved erector springs of the VX3 and up. I am not sure if lesser models carry this recent feature. Verbiage from Leupold - "The twin bias spring exerts up to 30 percent more holding force on the erector, virtually eliminating erector system backlash and stress on the vital internal workings of the scope. This means your VX-3 will be with you for hunt, after hunt, after hunt."

So comparing reliability against other or older models is not apples to apples as I see it. This should inspire confidence.

2. Nor have I heard reference to proper mounting. Stuff you know but.. few would ever admit to improperly mounting a scope or contributing to a failure. If things are loose, scopes get jarred. If the rings are over- tightened it can be hard on the scope and as much bearing surface as possible is a good recipe. I have seen a LOT of loose mounts in my time. I like to coat most rings in silicon. Along those lines have also used the Burris inserts. I wonder how many using those inserts, properly tightened, have failed? Not saying never but.... know what I mean?

3. I discovered I MUCH preferred the variable set BELOW 6x when taking to field. Field of view seems an undersold spec. I get comfort and faster target acquisition. I bought the scope thinking the benefit would come above 6x and was thankful to have it on my last and longest shot ever, but it is easier to crank up when needed as opposed to more frantic cranking down when something pops up close.

An FX would be a great scope, would love to try one but so is a VX3. I compared it to my older M8 6x42 and the VX3 was definitely brighter and truer- so that is some indication of how far they have come.

Just food for thought.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius