I'm getting on in years, don't shoot as much as I once did, and have sold all the magnums. I am a bit frugal, so I do not go out and buy the newest and greatest upgrades.

I have, I think, seven Vari-X III. Five .3.5-10AO and two 2.5-8. Some have clicks, some friction. Also a Vari-X II Ultralight 3-9 EFR, and an M8 3X. Leupold makes better these days, but these are just too good to toss. My newer scopes are Burris, Redfield Revolution and Bushnell Elite 4200. I scored really good buys on these three and they are giving good service up until now.

Likely the most used with stress among the Leupolds is the Ultralight EFR. It has lived on a.22 and a .243, but the test was it has hundreds - if not thousands - of rounds from a springer air gun under it's belt.

I may be lucky, but I have ad no failures. Some of the Vari-X IIIs have done time on magnums up to .338. Most have served on .270 / .30-06 class rifles.

My next new purchase will be the new VX-2 UL3-9EFR. The shortcomings that most members grump about that model are non issues to me. I also see a need for a 6x36.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero