I have been relocated by my firm 8 times since the early 90's and have had no issues with having the moving company transporting my firearms.

I do list them all with serial number on their manifest (to include optics)that I do provide to the driver on the day of the move.
I pull everything out of my gun safe, lay the shelves in the bottom of the safe; they load the safe on the truck empty.
All of my long guns are packed on soft cases and the thick gun socks and I fill the safe, handguns are in gun socks or rugs are squeezed in the spaces. Once the safe is full I close the door and lock it.
When I arrive at the destination we reverse the process.

The only time I altered this process was when I was transferred from the UP to CT as the driver was routed through Canada and just to be safe I packed my handguns in hard rifle cases and put them in the back of my Jeep with the lab.

So far all drivers have taken loaded ammunition (all packed in .50 cal. or 20 mm cans) and reloading components.

It is amazing what a couple of hundred bucks to the driver and lunch for the packing/loading crew will do.

I've never had a damaged firearm during these moves; I can't say my trophies have faired so well, but nothing too bad.

YMMV

StarchedCover

Semper Fi