Average distance is WELL under 200 yards, probably somewhere between 80-120 yards,and keep in mind if the average is lets say 100 yards theres a bunch of 40-50 yard shots to average in with the few rather rare 190-270 yard shots.
yeah! all the magazine articles I read make it seem like 400-700 yard shots are normal, but obviously the area you hunt has a huge effect on your average opportunity for even seeing an elk. elk are not stupid, during the first few hours of hunting pressure they rapidly travel to steep, remote or well wooded cover, thats less pressured to avoid most huntersyes I'm sure theres areas in CO. and WY. where youll get longer shots, but I darn sure have used a 358 win, 340 wby 35 whelen,and 375H&H a whole lot more under 200 yards than over that distance.
a couple years back we had a club meeting and we took a brief survey and in 30 plus years not a single member had even had the opportunity to see or shoot at any elk out at 300 yards, most were shot at an average ranges closer to 120 yards which means a good amount were shot at 30-60 yards in the thick timber
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Id also point out that several times Ive helped guys pack out elk they shot at "350-500 yards" what when we paced out the place they shot from to the dead elk sure , took less paces and the guys held dead on with a 2" high at 100 yard zero and the bullets miraculously, shot remarkably flat! needed no hold over to hit near the aim point , even with a 358 win or 180 grain 308 win