Unless something has changed, Bugle publishes yearly a survey taken among successful elk hunters, I believe, at an annual convention.

As I recall, the average distance for all in the survey from all elk-hunting states ranges from 110-130 yards. What this means in reality is people who enjoy target shooting at live [elk] targets at ranges dramatically exceeding 200 yards are in a distinct minority - thank goodness.

Others conclusions or deductions might include: many older firearms and cartridges will do a more than adequate job; muzzleloader hunting is a reasonable option, and probably more fun; more attention could be paid to watching with wider view binocular, and stalking with wind in your face; in learning about elks' food and cover preferences during the hunting season; and on, and on.

Final hint: Using Craig Boddington's rifle will not make you a good hunter. Too many hunters waste too much money buying advertising hyperbole.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I realize that I'm painting with a very broad brush and the answers will vary greatly, but I'd like to know the average distance in which your taking elk with a rifle.

If it's not too much to ask, please include the distance of your closest rifle kill, distance of your longest rifle kill, the average kill distance and the state and type of terrain you're hunting.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell