I was in my 30s and bought "the elk rifle" for the trip - wood stocked Rem 700 in 338 WM. Developed a load with 250 gr Partitions over the summer. I squeezed ever last ft/sec from the load and recall it running right at 2700. It killed out both ends. I never shot an elk with it. About day 3-4 of that trip I decided a 10 lb wood rifle in 338 wasn't needed or appreciated after hauling it around. That trip started me down the looneyism trail - I knew I didn't need a 338 to kill an elk and 10 lb rifles in the mountains suck.

My next adventure was a SS Abolt in 300 WSM. Liked it well enough but wasn't overly fond of the 'recoil pad'. Traded it for a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. Discovered 300 magnums in light rifles recoil a bit. Then went to a SS Rem 700 DBM 30-06. Didn't like the DBM so traded it for a Rem 700 in 300 saum. Worked well enough but started to really grow fond of M70s. Sold the saum and bought my current M70 EW in 300 WSM. Still have a SS m70 30-06 in the back of my head so doubt I'm done yet......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.