Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Still remember it like yesterday even though this season will mark 25 years for me.

Rifle was a Ruger boat paddle .270 Win with a Leupold vari-xII 3-9. It was my first rifle and i bought it with lawn mowing money about 1 month before deer opener.

I shot my first buck on the second day of season with a 130 Balistic Tip. Well i shot him with 5 actually, all behind the shoulder landing in about a 3" area. Only about 1/2 of 1 bullet penetrated the lungs and was found mid heart. That bullet chunk weighed 58grs IIRC. Last Ballistic Tip i ever shot aside from varmint rounds.

3 weeks later i shot a nice 5x5 bull on opening day with a 140 Partition.

That rifle with the NP's accounted for several more deer and elk before i traded it off on a custom 700 in .264WM

These days its eithery 338 RUM or if hiking a long ways my Montana in 300WSM.

Damn, I'll bet you miss the old boat paddle ruger don't you??

BSA I had one of those boat paddle rugers in a 280 Remington that thing would stack 140gr Remington cor lckts onto small groups like a real dumb ass traded it off.

Ha ha John. I had an opportunity to buy a real nice stainless boat paddle 270 win for $270.00. We were on vacation at the coast at the time and I didn't buy it because it was a 270. Now that's a dumb ass for you!!!! blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA