On my very first elk hunt I set off into the woods with a scoped, 7 ½ inch, Ruger Super Blackhawk loaded with Federal’s now discontinued 220 grain silhouette bullets. I was able to hunt elk that year at least partially most days for about 6 weeks without being able to close the distance on the bulls I did see. Finally, with several days left to go in the season, I borrowed a Remington 660 in 308 to try to put my first elk on the ground. The weather was miserable, torrential rain mixed with snow at times. A lot of miles from my truck I popped out of some timber into a meadow and there was my bull standing 15 yards away. A 150 grain Remington Core Lokt slipped behind the near shoulder did the trick.

2 years later, however, I was able to get it done my Super Blackhawk. This time I was using 240 grain hard cast lead bullets; and a single one of these at a little over 100 yards behind the shoulder got her done. The rag horn bull was completely unaware of my presence and never reacted to the shot at all. About 20 seconds after the shot the elk simply tipped over and the hard work began. Almost 30 years ago but still one of the most fun hunting experiences of my life.

[Linked Image]