Originally Posted by forpest

So, some method of noise reduction is needed. Suppressors not an option, as there are too many rifles to shoot. .
I've also heard (on the internet, for what its worth) that shooting through several tires can also reduce noise.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Range mounted suppressors are the only option. The gimmick that makes them work and be legal is that there is no necessity to attach the firearm and the suppressor.

As noted shooting through several tires has been known to work. There is a long ago article in Gun Digest - somebody with back issues on disc may chime in.

It's a tradeoff between using tires which may be a more familiar shooting experience with normal sights and such for the distances involved or a more compact muffler system that may block sights and such or maybe a combination for more noise suppression. If it were mine I'd pay attention to parallax and to both unburned powder and other fire hazards.

See e.g. https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=366753 and a myriad of other discussions on a wide variety of other boards. Apparently there are jurisdictions that define anything to reduce noise, such as an indoor range, as prohibited silencers to which others have responded with a laugh test.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 05/12/15.