I set my effort up in a Lime Plant "Boneyard", and had access to a gazillion 10-20 truck tires, and a PILE of heavy industrial mechanisms,.....A "44" Rockwell-Eaton hub served as the turret / pivot,....it's axle planted in compacted Fines.

The "Barrel" was cobbled up on an old articulating conveyor belt carcass. It had both elevation and traverse functions (hand screws) The bench RODE the barrel, ...and was nothing very much more than a tractor seat and a small table top. Properly balanced, the thing was a real success, and quietened down some complaining, newly arrived yuppies in short order,.....if you can't hear it, you can't complain about it.

There are an INFINITE number of ways to build / design one of these, and I'd be more than happy to assist anyone interested in getting one up through their design phase.

Hell,....for considerations based solely on filthy lucre, I'll build you one (you supply the tires.)

The fellow who suggested this was "redneck" doesn't know sound suppression from schitt. .....probably don't know schitt from bean dip, either.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/18/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain