Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dirtfarmer,

The information about trying a slightly faster powder with Partitions didn't come from the Internet ether but Gail Root, who was the head bullet designer for Nosler for many years.

But I have also found that adding a grain or two more of the same powder can help. This is partly because most modern powders are designed to burn most consistently at 60,000 PSI or even more, but it probably does help Partition obturate as well. (Too many handloaders still give up if a "starting" load doesn't shoot all that well, having been told by too many people, including some gun writers, that milder loads usually shoot better. Which is BS.)

I also suspect the reason so many handloaders give up early when loading a more costly bullet like a Partition early is price. Which is why I normally start with a lower-priced bullet of the same weight and style when working up a load for a pricey bullet, finding out which powders and loads work best before switching to a Partition, TSX, Berger, Lapua or whatever for fine-tuning the load.

I have also owned and used a bullet runout gauge for at least 25 years now. One of the many things it taught me is that all the tools that supposedly result in straight-seated bullets don't help nearly as much as KNOWING which loading tools and techniques work by measuring your loaded rounds.

Good info, John, as always.

I feel better already, knowing it wasn't a senior moment or Fire rumor. I've enjoyed more than my share of both lately... laugh

DF