Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If I could find a balance between a an antelope rifle for relatively long range and work in the timber for elk I would have one rifle for me and one for the wife. But as it stands I have about 5 in the safe for these two purposes.

Such are the perils of the age of specialization we live in... smile

Nimrods of another era grabbed a 270. 30/06,7 mag or 300 mag and made it work.....toss in elk and sheep and mule deer in open country.And plains game in Africa,and Asian mountain game as well. All with one rifle.

We can do it if we read less, shoot and hunt more. wink

Ha, there is the root of the problem. I have a big long heavy .260 and a nice light .243 that are a excellent pair on the prairie, antelope and such. I have a Tikka t3 .300 and a Ruger 77(7x57) for deer and elk in mountains( hunt at same time). So in reality for me and the wife we each have one gun to hunt with, they just happen to be different guns depending on whether I drive East of the house ( prairie) or West( mountains) The k98 in 8x57 is just sort of a back up. although I have shot a few deer with it.
If I was smart I would just by a pair of tikkas in .260 or 6.5x55 and we could be happy, one would have to be a compact because the wife is barely five feet tall.