Further Update:
Took the rifle to Dick Williams in Saginaw, the other Remington factory service center. Since the first shop took no interest whatsoever, I still had the paperwork. Was waited on at the counter by a gunsmith. When I told him what I was experiencing, he listened and agreed that the rifle would shoot better. It just came back a couple of days ago . . . Loaded up some of the popular 39 gr Sierras and proceeded to shoot a 1/2" group. You bet I'm pleased!
What did they do? Exactly as Drx-ring above suggested . . . Cut a new 11 degree crown. The receipt also says "bedded recoil lug". This is a rifle with a factory aluminum bedding block, but recall that when I got it, the rear screw had no bearing on the block because the fiberglass behind it was too high. He bedded th lug, leaving the bottom of it free. He also relieved and bedded the first 1-1/2" of the barrel. I'm so pleased that it shoots the way you'd expect when you spend almost a thousand dollars on a varmint rifle.
I can't say enough good about Dick Williams' shop. You can bet you know where I'll send anyone who asks in the future!!