Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got this in an e-mail as I hunt the Commonwealth each season.

Yes, it's legit, and yes, it's now part of the VA Hunting Regs.

Originally Posted by VDGIF
Natural Deer Urine Attractants Illegal in Virginia

Effective July 1, 2015, it will be illegal to possess or use deer scents/lures that contain natural deer urine or other bodily fluids while taking, attempting to take, attracting, or scouting wildlife in Virginia.

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) poses a significant risk to the long-term health and stability of the Virginia white-tailed deer populations. Since it was first found east of the Mississippi in Wisconsin in 2002, CWD has been found in a total of eight eastern states, including Virginia. To date, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) has spent over one million dollars on CWD monitoring and management efforts. Importation bans on whole carcass and certain carcass parts (i.e., brain and spinal cord) from high-risk CWD areas (including areas or states infected with CWD or any North American enclosure intended to confine deer) are already in place in Virginia, along with a ban on interstate movement of captive deer and elk. Reducing the use of natural deer urine attractants by prohibiting the possession or use while afield for the purposes of taking or attempting to take, attracting, or scouting will further minimize the risk of introducing CWD into a new area of Virginia.

Why is the use of deer urine attractants risky?
The infectious proteins (i.e., prions) known to transmit CWD have been found in the urine, feces, and saliva of infected individuals.
To make these commercial scents, urine from captive elk and/or deer kept outside of Virginia is collected over a grate system that does not prevent contamination from either feces or saliva. The “urine” product is not treated chemically or with heat to kill the infectious proteins because these treatments would also secondarily destroy the desired scent characteristics. The infectious proteins causing CWD are extremely resistant to degradation and may persist in the environment for years in contaminated soil, thereby posing a disease transmission risk to deer for extended lengths of time. Additionally, many of the facilities are located in areas or states with CWD. Deer in Virginia that taste or sniff these products may actually be exposing themselves to CWD harbored by deer living hundreds of miles away that were used to collect the infected urine.

Why did the Department decide to ban these urine-based products?
The VDGIF is taking a pro-active approach on this issue and has banned possession and use until it is proven that prions are not spread in commercial deer urine products, rather than continue to risk introducing CWD to new areas until it is confirmed that urine attractants do spread prions. VDGIF’s intent with this regulation is to protect our deer hunting heritage by ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities to deer hunt as are available to Virginians today and to protect the long-term health and stability of the Virginia deer herd. Both of these goals can be achieved, in part, by trying to minimize the areas in Virginia infected with CWD.

What does “possess or use” a natural deer urine attractant mean?
It will still be legal for products that contain natural deer urine or other bodily fluids to be purchased and sold in Virginia. However, it will not be legal for individuals to have these products in their possession or on their person while afield for the purposes of taking or attempting to take, attracting, or scouting any wild animal in Virginia.

Can I collect and use urine and/or tarsal glands from deer I kill in Virginia?
You cannot use these fluids afield anywhere in Virginia. Possession or use of any natural deer urine, feces, blood, gland oil, or other bodily fluid while afield for the purposes of taking or attempting to take, attracting, or scouting any wild animal becomes illegal in Virginia starting July 1, 2015.

Are there any legal alternatives to natural deer urine lures?
Yes, there are synthetic products that can be used to attract or lure deer but do not pose any secondary risks for CWD transmission to Virginia white-tailed deer. These products are readily available at sporting goods stores and online retailers.

Why should I worry about CWD in Virginia?
Population models predict that CWD will lead to significant declines in deer populations over time. Current research in Wyoming suggests that white-tailed deer numbers are significantly lower in diseased areas than in areas where CWD has not yet been diagnosed, and CWD infection prevalence has risen to nearly 25 percent in adult bucks in some areas of Wisconsin since the initial discovery of CWD in 2002.

Not only are deer an important part of Virginia’s natural heritage, they are also important to the economy. Deer hunting in Virginia generates over $600 million in economic activity, according to data from the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s 2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation for Virginia. Over 20,000 jobs were related to hunting in Virginia in 2011, according to a report by the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

This prohibition on the possession or use of deer urine attractants while afield was enacted in order to protect Virginia’s deer populations and our Virginia deer hunting heritage by ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities to deer hunt as are available to Virginians today. For more information on CWD, visit our website at: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/ .

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The VDGIF is taking a pro-active approach on this issue and has banned possession and use until it is proven that prions are not spread in commercial deer urine products, rather than continue to risk introducing CWD to new areas until it is confirmed that urine attractants do spread prions. VDGIF’s intent with this regulation is to protect our deer hunting heritage by ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities to deer hunt as are available to Virginians today and to protect the long-term health and stability of the Virginia deer herd. Both of these goals can be achieved, in part, by trying to minimize the areas in Virginia infected with CWD.

Interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess one will simply have to hunt into the wind.

1Minute
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Interesting.

Agreed. They've taken the "prove it's safe" approach vs the "prove it's harmful" approach.

Consider that VA has had rather severe outbreaks of EHD and blue tongue in the herd over the past three seasons, and the correlated drops in herd size and hunter harvest. Also, considering that so many of those lures and scents come from commercial deer pen operations (think about what it takes to essentially keep a doe in estrous constantly, and to harvest every drop of urine from her), the "prove it's safe" approach might not be such a bad idea.

VDGIF has done a pretty good job of managing the deer herd in VA for decades; I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Regardless, it's already a reg for this season so putting the word out makes sense.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Guess one will simply have to hunt into the wind.

The winds in most of VA are almost never constant, especially in the mountains. The only thing you can go by is that the winds will swirl on you and change direction throughout the day (often throughout the hour).

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you use scents, I have a bunch of synthetics my kin in Michigan gave me.

I don't use them in my current terrain. Most of my areas have only one way in, so its not like I can play the wind on any given day.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
If you use scents, I have a bunch of synthetics my kin in Michigan gave me.

I don't use them in my current terrain. Most of my areas have only one way in, so its not like I can play the wind on any given day.

Whatcha got? PM me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Yeah, we are going to have to rethink the cover scent plan.

It useful to hear what synthetics are in use by the Campfire crowd, and what the results were.

I agree with 4ager, the state does a decent job of management from what I have seen over the last seven years.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy

It useful to hear what synthetics are in use by the Campfire crowd, and what the results were.

I got two complete sets of Buckfever scents - all synthetic.

4ager has a set spoken for.

You want the other?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I haven't used any scents since I was a kid and it hasn't hurt me.

I have a feeling the banned scents will still be available in stores and guys will continue to use them.

IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I haven't used any scents since I was a kid and it hasn't hurt me.

I have a feeling the banned scents will still be available in stores and guys will continue to use them.

Likely, though the reduction in the supply will be something that VDGIF takes an interest in this year, to be sure.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RWE

I got two complete sets of Buckfever scents - all synthetic.

4ager has a set spoken for.

You want the other?

Yes please.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have your address, I'll get them on the way.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Sent you a PM as well.

I need to log off for a bit, will be back on later, and follow up.

Thank you!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I agree with 4ager, the state does a decent job of management from what I have seen over the last seven years.

I've been using red fox urine as my only cover/attractant for 30+yrs. I use the urine sold at trapper supply houses. I keep a quart bottle in a large plastic tote with my clothes,boots,and any gear used. A month before season I take the lid off the bottle. I also carry a small spray bottle with me when hunting. When I get set up I'll spray the foliage around me. Needless to say after all this time my gear is well saturated with scent. Too many positive incidents to mention but I've had deer trail me to stands or get spooked away by vehicles or hunters and return to me sometimes bringing other deer with them. No bad experiences. Seems there is some kind of relationship between deer and red fox I've noticed over the years. Many years ago when I did a lot of groundhog hunting it was not unusual at all to see a fox within or around a group of deer feeding in fields at evening. Only time I use a deer scent attractant is when making and hunting a mock scrape. I just started hunting Va. the year before last. Couldn't hunt at all last season due back surgery. So I guess I'll quit using the deer scent. I hunt Shenandoah Co. which is a CWD restricted county. But like you and 4ager I do agree with what VDNR is doing.

Last edited by EZEARL; 07/14/15.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Last edited by EZEARL; 07/15/15.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by EZEARL

I've been using red fox urine as my only cover/attractant for 30+yrs. I use the urine sold at trapper supply houses. I keep a quart bottle in a large plastic tote with my clothes,boots,and any gear used. A month before season I take the lid off the bottle. I also carry a small spray bottle with me when hunting. When I get set up I'll spray the foliage around me. Needless to say after all this time my gear is well saturated with scent. Too many positive incidents to mention but I've had deer trail me to stands or get spooked away by vehicles or hunters and return to me sometimes bringing other deer with them. No bad experiences. Seems there is some kind of relationship between deer and red fox I've noticed over the years. Many years ago when I did a lot of groundhog hunting it was not unusual at all to see a fox within or around a group of deer feeding in fields at evening. Only time I use a deer scent attractant is when making and hunting a mock scrape. I just started hunting Va. the year before last. Couldn't hunt at all last season due back surgery. So I guess I'll quit using the deer scent. I hunt Shenandoah Co. which is a CWD restricted county. But like you and 4ager I do agree with what VDNR is doing.

I have access to hunt up by Lebannon Church, same county.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/15/15.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I hunt the GW National Forest near my daughter's place in Jerome.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Was at Walmart this eve in front royal, and they just put out a bunch of the banned scents. I am sure they will sell many.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been expecting this.

There is evidence that suggests that the spread of CWD is, at least in some cases, due to human activity. Game farms, involved in, among other things, the production of scents and captive breeding in the attempt to breed "super deer" have been found to contain infected animals, not only deer, but elk. Any farmer can tell you how hard it is to keep deer out of places you don't want them. It's just as hard to keep them in places you do. Once the prions, which are extremely difficult to destroy, get introduced to an area by infected animals or other means, they are pretty much there forever. If urine-based scents have the potential to spread CWD, banning them is an excellent idea. WV has been discouraging the practice of baiting for a while, but hasn't banned it yet, except in CWD zones. I expect, and hope that soon they do it statewide to help slow down the spread of this crap. A couple of the best hunting areas in WV fall in the CWD zones which means that you can't take any deer harvested there out of the area until the potentially infected parts have been removed. This, as a practical matter, puts those areas off limits to traveling hunters. I just hope that it's not too late for restrictions to have an effect, given that CWD spreads naturally once introduced, whatever the source.

There's going to be some serious wailing and gnashing of teeth over this in VA.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Was at Walmart this eve in front royal, and they just put out a bunch of the banned scents. I am sure they will sell many.

The same type of sales happen/happened with the deer feed at Gander Mountain stores, big sign posted in the store with the VA state bans on feeding deer, and the pile of feed corn bags holding the base of the sign.

While I would agree that the scent use and the feeding will continue, I think the penalty levied in getting caught will stop some.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

There's going to be some serious wailing and gnashing of teeth over this in VA.

I doubt it. By and large, VA deer hunters trust VDGIF because they've done a damned good job for decades managing the deer herd in the state, and by and large VA deer hunters want NO chance at CWD taken. With synthetic scents on the market, there are options.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hunting over bait is the #1 "deer hunting" tactic around here. #2 is road hunting which I figure will rate plumb off the charts with this baiting ban.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
vdgif has done nothing but screw up our deer herd in the mountains of va. they have allowed hunters to take so many does that our deer populations have dropped way off.you guys that think they have done a good job must live in or near the cities or in eastern va.cities are full of deer ,eastern va. where i hunt is just starting to see some drop in the deer herd. to many coyotes and a fast growing bear population(bear population will really grow with the new bear tag we much buy this year),and bad mass crops have thinned the deer herd to where there are hardly any hunters on the national forest these days.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Another main reason for the low number of hunters in the NF is the no ATV/UTV's allowed restriction. There may be some areas they're allowed I don't know. But not the parts I hunt. In fact if you go back far enough on the access road your allowed in only on foot. Also as far as I've been able to determine you cannot quarter a deer to get it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you check your deer by phone or online (new this year in WV), there should be no reason that you can't quarter it for convenience in recovery, as long as all parts bear a tag with the ID number you get when you check it. The carcass is just like one checked the old way in that it must bear the check tag until butchered.

I just verified this with the LE officer in District 2.

The banning of ATVs on public areas is a blessing, even for an old fat man. The last thing we need is a bunch of lazy asses zooming in and out of the woods all day while serious people are trying to hunt. Disabled people can get a waiver.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/22/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1
It's been legal for quite a few yrs now to quarter and pack a deer in WV. VA says no as of the yr before last anyway.

Another +1
"The banning of ATVs on public areas is a blessing, even for an old fat man. The last thing we need is a bunch of lazy asses zooming in and out of the woods all day while serious people are trying to hunt. Disabled people can get a waiver."

When I can't cut it anymore it'll be there for those who are willing to work to get to it. Doesn't seem too many out there like that anymore though.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter
vdgif has done nothing but screw up our deer herd in the mountains of va. they have allowed hunters to take so many does that our deer populations have dropped way off.you guys that think they have done a good job must live in or near the cities or in eastern va.cities are full of deer ,eastern va. where i hunt is just starting to see some drop in the deer herd. to many coyotes and a fast growing bear population(bear population will really grow with the new bear tag we much buy this year),and bad mass crops have thinned the deer herd to where there are hardly any hunters on the national forest these days.

I hunt St. Mary's, Ramsey's Draft, Three Ridges, the Priest, Mt. Pleasant, and a lot of the surrounding areas. I couldn't disagree more; deer numbers there have never been huge. A total mast crop failure fall before last combined with outbreaks of blue tongue and EHD over the past two to three years (area dependent) did more to the deer populations than anything else and VDGIF had nothing to do with those (nor did bears, coyotes, doe tags, or anything else).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager

I hunt St. Mary's, Ramsey's Draft, Three Ridges, the Priest, Mt. Pleasant, and a lot of the surrounding areas. I couldn't disagree more; deer numbers there have never been huge. A total mast crop failure fall before last combined with outbreaks of blue tongue and EHD over the past two to three years (area dependent) did more to the deer populations than anything else and VDGIF had nothing to do with those (nor did bears, coyotes, doe tags, or anything else).

if you hunt ramsey's draft and you don't think bear population has anything to do with the lack of deer in that area then you must have been asleep in the stand for the past 10 years. the vdgif closed roads at the bottom of shenandoah mountain just to make a huge wilderness area to dump problem bear from the base of the shenandoah national park where i live. if you hunted highland 20years ago you would know that there were very few bears ever killed in western augusta and highland counties until they started dumping all those bears. then came the coyotes . the vdgif had a camera on a bear den a few years back and one bear drug 26 fawns to the den that spring.there have been very few deer found to have disease in that area according to my many friends in side the vdgif. this bear tags thing comes from one thing,the bear hunters not wanting the average deer hunter to be able to kill a bear when they see one. its total greed by the bha . one of my friends in the vdgif is actually the man from our region that helps make the game laws . he has been fighting to stop this tag for 3-4 yeasr now. the bear hunters have to much pull in the whole state.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've hunted that area twice in the last several years. Used to hunt it a lot back in the 80s when I lived there. Don't know about the causes but I saw the least amount of deer and deer sign (almost non-existent) and more bears than in the past.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've hunted that area twice in the last several years. Used to hunt it a lot back in the 80s when I lived there. Don't know about the causes but I saw the least amount of deer and deer sign (almost non-existent) and more bears than in the past.

Bear numbers are up; no doubt about that. Two years ago, we had a total mast crop failure. No hickory nuts, beech nuts, acorns, nothing, so EVERYTHING moved around more and ate whatever it could find. Last year was a decent mast year. This year is shaping up to be epic.

Over the last three seasons, a lot of those areas have had very severe outbreaks of blue tongue and EHD, with estimates ranging from 20 to 40% mortality throughout the deer herds, and some areas quite likely higher than that.

Where'd you hunt, if you don't mind the inquiry?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PM sent. I'd like to keep up on how the mast crop turns out and how many deer y'all see in the mtns. I've been wanting to come back and next year could be the year if things work out.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll gladly relay all the info I can. You've done the same, and more, for me and others looking for info on elk.

This year has been the wettest summer I can remember and the vegetation is taking FULL advantage of it. I think this fall and next, and perhaps the one following (depending upon the flowering season for the mast trees next spring), may be truly incredible. That, of course, is both a blessing and a curse.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, I can remember one year hunting up there, the acorns were so big and thick it was like walking on marbles. We'd jump lots of deer walking on the trails in the dark, and then not see any once the sun came up. They didn't have to move at all to feed.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep. That's the curse of it. I know those years well. They are even worse if it's been relatively wet and there are pocket waters or small creeks with water; they just bed in the laurel thickets and hardly move at all.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
At least you can hunt on Sundays.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
At least you can hunt on Sundays.

Only private land, for now. Yeah, it's still f'ked up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If so, the deer hunters need to get organized and fight back. There's gotta be more Bambi killers than Yogi slayers. In the mean time, pony up the $20 and kill some bears.

Our tag in WV is $10, and I buy one every year in case I see a bear, and in case I really want to shoot 'em.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Piss in the scrape yourself . works just as well as deer urine

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have been going down to hunt WV deer for years. The area I hunt is public land, and the deer population there is way down compared to when I started hunting there. It may be a good thing. I hunt up by that CWD area.
The low deer population is the result of the hunters themselves. Constant whining about wanting bigger racks. I live in PA and KNOW first hand what happens when you try for bigger deer. The first thing done is make war on does. You drop the deer populations and the coyotes clean out the turkeys. More food-more bears move in. We see them walking around down town. I remember bounties on owls and foxes. It just made healthier foxes. It just seems that most people cannot learn the lesson. You cannot control nature without something going haywire.
[Linked Image]

Front page of my newspaper last week. I see them around my house all the time. This is a stones throw from the County Courthouse.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any time someone from PA starts whining about deer management, I laugh.

The VA deer herd numbers are down from historic high numbers due to blue tongue and EHD. They'll rebound, and well. Bear numbers are up, a lot.

This whole "fight back" thing is just stupid. There's nothing to "fight back" over.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep, I can remember one year hunting up there, the acorns were so big and thick it was like walking on marbles. We'd jump lots of deer walking on the trails in the dark, and then not see any once the sun came up. They didn't have to move at all to feed.

Was it in 85? That was biggest mast year I remember.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, I hunted there in 85 and killed my best whitetail but the year I was talking about was (I think) 94-95. Could have been 96.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made the "fight back" remark over the new fee being charged for the bear tag, based on the premise that the hound men had gotten that implemented to reduce the incidental bear kill by deer hunters. Hound hunters of bear (and deer) seem to be well organized in VA and wield considerable clout. I have no evidence that bears are responsible for any reduction in the deer herd.

We had a localized outbreak of EHD a few years back in this area. I found about a dozen carcasses in the 150 acre park I walk my dog in. It looks scary, but there was no lasting impact on the deer numbers that I can see. I think the dry weather had concentrated the deer around the available water so the gnats were able to spread the infection. We have plenty of deer, but not many places to hunt.

What fresh Hell is this?
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, I hunted there in 85 and killed my best whitetail but the year I was talking about was (I think) 94-95. Could have been 96.

The mid-90s had some crazy mast crops, depending upon where you were in the state. There was another similar mast crop in central VA about 4-5 years ago, too. It's all cyclical, to a degree.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I made the "fight back" remark over the new fee being charged for the bear tag, based on the premise that the hound men had gotten that implemented to reduce the incidental bear kill by deer hunters. Hound hunters of bear (and deer) seem to be well organized in VA and wield considerable clout. I have no evidence that bears are responsible for any reduction in the deer herd.

We had a localized outbreak of EHD a few years back in this area. I found about a dozen carcasses in the 150 acre park I walk my dog in. It looks scary, but there was no lasting impact on the deer numbers that I can see. I think the dry weather had concentrated the deer around the available water so the gnats were able to spread the infection. We have plenty of deer, but not many places to hunt.

The hound hunters are vocal because they are a dying breed.

If you think the tag fee for bear is an issue, take a peek at the turkey season dates that have been pushed through by turkey hunters pissed about deer hunters shooting "their" turkeys. You need to take a damned calendar into the field with you to remember when you can and can't shoot the damned things.

I agree that the EHD and blue tongue outbreaks seem to be worse or more widespread during drought years. Overall, I'm not concerned about the deer herd numbers in VA, nor am I (overly) pissed about $20 for a bear tag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got no patience with "sportsman" that want to limit others' activities so they can practice their "pure" version of the game. When I hunted in Virginia years ago, one of the attractions was the opportunity to take deer, bear, or turkey, whichever showed up. Made it seem like the good old days. I did shoot a jake one fall. I also passed on a monster gobbler because he was too far for me to make a head shot. I did enjoy watching him work his way across the slope above me.

Within reason, I just think folks should be able to fill their tags in whatever way floats their boat and leave it up to the game people to keep the harvest in line with good management.
But then, I'm a pretty bad person; I even eat bass.

What fresh Hell is this?
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've got no patience with "sportsman" that want to limit others' activities so they can practice their "pure" version of the game. When I hunted in Virginia years ago, one of the attractions was the opportunity to take deer, bear, or turkey, whichever showed up. Made it seem like the good old days. I did shoot a jake one fall. I also passed on a monster gobbler because he was too far for me to make a head shot. I did enjoy watching him work his way across the slope above me.

Within reason, I just think folks should be able to fill their tags in whatever way floats their boat and leave it up to the game people to keep the harvest in line with good management.
But then, I'm a pretty bad person; I even eat bass.

Agreed, on all counts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a petition is already going to get rid of the bear tag. this year should be a great mass crop,with deer herd numbers way down it will make finding deer even harder.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, good luck on the petition. It probably won't go anywhere, but why not try if you feel that aggrieved by it?

As for the herd numbers and hunting this year, yeah, it's going to be a tough year with the bumper mast crop and numbers down. So what? The herd numbers are still WAY above where they were even twenty years ago. I don't recall folks bitching back then about too few deer. In fact, it was the opposite - that we had deer freakin' everywhere, especially as compared to the numbers in the late '80s or back even further.

The kill numbers prove it, too. Take a look here: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/deer/harvest/index.asp

Last year's kill numbers are almost exactly the same as the total from 1999. 2013, of course, with the total mast crop failure, was a huge take year (hmmm... can't possibly be that we shot too many that year, combined with EHD, could it?), so the numbers were going to be down in 2014 regardless.

Here are the kill numbers from last year, showing a greater drop in the take East of the Blue Ridge than West of it: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/deer/harvestsummary.asp

This, too, is significant:

However, the magnitude of the 2014 deer kill decline was greater than anticipated. There are several possible explanations. First and foremost are the liberal either-sex deer hunting regulations (doe days) the Department has had in place since 2008. These liberal regulations were expected to eventually result in a decline in the deer herd and the annual deer kill totals, even without the added impact from hemorrhagic disease (HD), which showed up in at least 28 counties in eastern Virginia this past fall prior to the opening of deer season. In the past, HD has caused 20-35% declines in the annual deer kill within counties in Virginia. Typically these HD-impacted deer herds recover after 2-3 years. In addition, acorns were plentiful during hunting season, reducing the need for deer to move long distances in search of food, making them less vulnerable to hunters. Without these other factors, liberal deer seasons would likely reduce the deer kill more gradually, over a number of years.

The deer herd is fine. This year's take will be between 180k and 200k, depending upon how many does VA hunters decide to take. If we want the herd to rebound faster, we'll VOLUNTARILY take less does this fall. If we don't control ourselves, then it will take a few seasons longer before we're back up into the 220-230k average again. FWIW, myself and the guys I hunt with have already self-imposed a limit on ourselves this year of no more than 2 does each, and those have to be those big ol' grey faced mule-eared bitches.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...bc031d6-8141-11e4-ae06-dfbc409bec94.html

“I agree with (Matt) Knox (of VDGIF) that it’s probably not any one factor. When you combine heavy EHD die-offs with heavy antlerless deer harvests over a number of years, you’re not going to have as many deer,” Burke (president of Woodford Hunt Club in Caroline County) said.

“We’ve had some people wondering if we should stop hunting. I don’t think we should stop hunting, but we should probably make sure we don’t get greedy, and when people see three or four deer, encourage taking just one,” (Roger Summers of Top Secret Hunt Club) said.

Knox has consistently maintained much of the power to manage deer populations rests in the hands of the property owners or managers.

For those who fear deer populations have dipped too severely, he advises, “Just restrict your female deer kill.”

Simply put, we've got way more deer now than during most any time in the past. As VA deer hunters, we've gotten greedy, lazy, and complacent and think that we ought to be able to shoot a deer every time we go into the woods. This season, we might actually have to hunt again and work for it.

Last edited by 4ager; 07/24/15.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

The mid-90s had some crazy mast crops, depending upon where you were in the state. There was another similar mast crop in central VA about 4-5 years ago, too. It's all cyclical, to a degree.

Back in January 2011 I took the dog squirrel hunting around Paddy's Run. The acorns were like a carpet. I've never seen so many, and this was in January.

Hopefully this wet summer helps the squirrels bounce back too. They got wacked by the acorn failure two years ago.

Circles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a good local crop in Jefferson County, WV last year; not so good that you couldn't walk, but decent. I haven't been in the woods yet, but based on the good rainfall and the performance of my fruit trees (which reflects the frost damage), it should be good as well. Lots of acorns makes it tougher, I suppose, for stand hunters, but I think it might lead to more natural game movements that benefits still-hunters. Once the Orange Army thins out, I like to poke around a bit on foot. Now that I've rejoined the archers, I hope to cash in around the paw paw patches too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4ager,where i hunt we haven't seen any of those old does for 2 years now. i believe some of those older deer didn't survive the lack of mass 2 years ago.our club members talked about this last year and know one was seeing those herd does.everyone i know has complained about the lack of deer for atleast3-4 years now. a club that i hunt on some near richmond was down 50-60 deer last year. my club in nelson county was way down also.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
4ager,where i hunt we haven't seen any of those old does for 2 years now. i believe some of those older deer didn't survive the lack of mass 2 years ago.our club members talked about this last year and know one was seeing those herd does.everyone i know has complained about the lack of deer for atleast3-4 years now. a club that i hunt on some near richmond was down 50-60 deer last year. my club in nelson county was way down also.

I know those areas very well (better than you might believe in fact).

Yes, numbers are down. EHD, blue tongue, and all of us shooting the schit out of what we saw in 2013 with the mast crop failure will do that.

The "herd does" are still there; seen several already this year. Shoot them, as they don't reproduce as well or as often and leave the breeder does be. The rate of the herd recovery will depend upon how well we do that and not much else.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Filling all your tags in Virginia is almost to easy if you like killing a bunch of does. During the two week season i never see less than 50 or 60 does.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Filling all your tags in Virginia is almost to easy if you like killing a bunch of does. During the two week season i never see less than 50 or 60 does.

With bonus tags, "filling all your tags" means well over 100 deer per season.

If you're talking the six on the initial license, then yeah, I agree. You also hunt far SW VA, IIRC, and there are less deer there than in the areas that I and srwshooter hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was checking out the new WV hunting regs last night and discovered that they've established a "No Feeding" buffer zone around the CWD area. A good idea that should go statewide.

If the CWD prions are present in saliva, then bait piles, salt licks, and all those sweet deer treats are potential vectors.

Has anyone seen any response from the hunting industry to the VA ban or other similar restrictions?

What fresh Hell is this?
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was checking out the new WV hunting regs last night and discovered that they've established a "No Feeding" buffer zone around the CWD area. A good idea that should go statewide.

If the CWD prions are present in saliva, then bait piles, salt licks, and all those sweet deer treats are potential vectors.

Has anyone seen any response from the hunting industry to the VA ban or other similar restrictions?

"Industry" is essentially ignoring it; anything for a buck (pun there).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are way less deer everywhere i hunt,we have a camp in highland near headwaters that we stopped hunting 6-7 years ago because you can hunt high or low and you are lucky to see any deer on that part of shenandoah mtn.i hunt southeast of richmond,numbers are falling in those areas to.i have 2500 acres in nelson county everyone in that area has complained for the last 3-4 years about not seeing many deer.

last year was a great mass crop,the year before you were lucky to find a acorn. this year is good against the blue ridge and should be good in most of the state.i have a few small tracts that i hunt that are close to home. they are surrounded by farm land .plenty of corn and beans so they eat good every year. i usually manage to get a descent buck on one of them.i have a huge bear coming thru my yard this year. maybe he'll stick around.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
[quote=Pappy348]I was checking out the new WV hunting regs last night and discovered that they've established a "No Feeding" buffer zone around the CWD area. A good idea that should go statewide.

Prions have been found in soil samples in Hampshire County.

So two questions. How will the no feeding(article actually says "baiting")ban be enforced and will it apply to food plots. After all the main objective is to keep deer from congregating. Which they do anyways.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
there are way less deer everywhere i hunt,we have a camp in highland near headwaters that we stopped hunting 6-7 years ago because you can hunt high or low and you are lucky to see any deer on that part of shenandoah mtn.i hunt southeast of richmond,numbers are falling in those areas to.i have 2500 acres in nelson county everyone in that area has complained for the last 3-4 years about not seeing many deer.

last year was a great mass crop,the year before you were lucky to find a acorn. this year is good against the blue ridge and should be good in most of the state.i have a few small tracts that i hunt that are close to home. they are surrounded by farm land .plenty of corn and beans so they eat good every year. i usually manage to get a descent buck on one of them.i have a huge bear coming thru my yard this year. maybe he'll stick around.

I hope you get a shot at that bear, and I'm not surprised he's coming through your yard. wink

As for the rest of the areas, I haven't hunted Highland as much as I'd like - I need to do that more. I don't hunt SE of Richmond but I know a bunch that do, and they've not been much other than happy. As for the Nelson County 2500 acres - that's odd, to put it mildly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good points. It seems likely though, that transmission of the prion would be more probable from a pile of corn, mineral block, or other concentrated food source than in a green field. The plan's not perfect, but at least may help slow the spread. Once the prion is in the soil, it's apparently pretty much forever. Some folks are going to continue to feed and bait through ignorance and/or stubborness. Such is life.

If I were a farmer, I'd keep my mineral blocks close to home to help keep the deer away from them. CWD isn't supposed to be transferable to humans, but livestock might be another matter.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see this Buck on my Virginia Place on a regular basis . Here he is on the trail cam. I have six different bucks on the trail cam and a bunch of does every time i check it. This is the best one so far on the cam. He is getting bigger on the 1st photo. The date on the camera is the right,but time on the first photo is wrong should have am not pm , i forgot to set the time when i changed the batteries, that has now been corrected..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The regs say no baiting or feeding, no doubt because intent would be hard to prove. Also, a lot of folks feed wildlife just to watch them.

Bird feeders are exempt, provided they aren't set up so as to attract deer as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we have guys that lease land along the park that are feeding everything year round. they could care less about the law. bears coming thru my are crapping yellow corn piles year round.the only place they can get it is a feeder most of the year.va. needs to stop the baiting year round a enforce the law.no fun hunting over a bait pile to kill anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of you guys hunting any in southwest VA? Smyth, Washington, Grayson or Tazewell?

Last edited by Holston; 07/28/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cheaters gonna cheat.

'Twas ever thus.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Anybody want some Buck Bombs cheap...?

I haven't been in the woods yet, our scouting won't start until next month. Crops look good here as well in NOVA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i won't go til i have to. chiggers eat me up.never used a buck bomb. i haven't really used much of anything last few seasons.i figure i hunt where they live,i'm a firm believer in seat time.i'm seeing a few nice ones now. saw 3 big ones near richmond a few weeks ago,one will go close to 24in. saw 3 -8pts at the house this week,one of them was real nice and heavy.i never go to my favorite little tract of land til opening day of bow season. i always know where the food and water is on that land. early season thats about all that matters.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Holston
Any of you guys hunting any in southwest VA? Smyth, Washington, Grayson or Tazewell?

Wythe for me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My mother's side of the family is from Grayson County and I started my deer hunting there.

I have also hunted in Smyth and Washington County.

Currently, we hunt in Ashe Co, NC about 2.5 miles from the Grayson County line.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys are pretty close. Most of my hunting is in Smyth. I hunt a little bit in Tazewell and Grayson, but not too often.

Clinch Mountain and Skulls Gap are where I'm usually at.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I did some scouting several years ago around the lake on top of the mountain above Big Tumbling Creek. Plenty of bear sign but I never hunted it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of bears in that area. Seen a few good bucks come from the back side of the lake in the past couple years.

If you're up that way again, don't turn off and go towards the lake. Keep going and stay right at the shooting range. You'll see a sign that says "Panther Lick". Great place to hunt if you walk to the top.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks. If I'm ever over there again I'll check it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are pretty close. Most of my hunting is in Smyth. I hunt a little bit in Tazewell and Grayson, but not too often.

You ever hunt any over around Sugar Grove, VA?

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunted Grayson for many years and the country around Mount Rogers has lots of deer, but it is rugged mountain land and hard to find them . Getting them out is a long drag since no motor vehicles allowed, you don't see many bucks but when you do see one it is usually a good one. We always camped at the head of Middle Fork. You can also go in from White Top Mountain but it is a 5 miles walk just to get to the trails that take you to Mount Rogers . You can also start from Highland State Park, which parts are legal to hunt on during the Deer Season. My family used to own 1000 acres in Tazewell County and it was the best deer hunting place i have hunted in VA. I never hunted there i didn't kill a buck. The farm was sold when the family owners pasted away and i have cried every deer season since. The farm is now a Sub Division. Grayson around Mount Rogers is your best bet for a really nice buck, but be ready to suffer bad weather and lot of walking if you want to find one. I'm to old for this place any longer and afraid to hunt there now because i'm feared i might kill one and just can't drag these heavy deer for miles like i did when i was young

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunted Grayson for many years and the country around Mount Rogers has lots of deer, but it is rugged mountain land and hard to find them . Getting them out is a long drag since no motor vehicles allowed, you don't see many bucks but when you do see one it is usually a good one. We always camped at the head of Middle Fork. You can also go in from White Top Mountain but it is a 5 miles walk just to get to the trails that take you to Mount Rogers . You can also start from Highland State Park, which parts are legal to hunt on during the Deer Season. My family used to own 1000 acres in Tazewell County and it was the best deer hunting place i have hunted in VA. I never hunted there i didn't kill a buck. The farm was sold when the family owners pasted away and i have cried every deer season since. The farm is now a Sub Division. Grayson around Mount Rogers is your best bet for a really nice buck, but be ready to suffer bad weather and lot of walking if you want to find one. I'm to old for this place any longer and afraid to hunt there now because i'm feared i might kill one and just can't drag these heavy deer for miles like i did when i was young

My grandfather's old place is about five miles south of the Grayson Highlands Park entrance off of Hwy. 58.

If you can get back into the public land a good ways ( think 5 miles plus) some big bucks can be found.

My uncle killed a 163 ten point and 140 8 point back in there.

Its big rough country and there is enough elevation to make for some really nasty winter weather in there during deer season.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/30/15.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm to old for this place any longer and afraid to hunt there now because i'm feared i might kill one and just can't drag these heavy deer for miles like i did when i was young

Sounds like an old hunting partner of my grandfather. He was hunting WAY back in some of those same VA mountains and had gotten situated overlooking one of those nice, big draws with a thicket at the bottom and a good creek down the middle. He said one of the biggest bucks he'd ever seen came sneaking out of that thicket headed up the draw toward the laurels at the head of the draw. Up came the rifle and the sights settled on the buck, just as his mind went "wait a minute... that's a big damn deer... way down there in that hole... and the truck is over four more draws just like this one... and you ain't no spring chicken".

Pard said he stood up, waved his arm, and shouted "BYE!" The buck stopped, looked up, and then went right back where he came from (and not all that fast, either).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just don't want to kill a deer that bad any longer to kill myself trying to get it out. Same reason i don't hunt Elk any longer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Yea, not as much as I used to, but I hunt there every year.

Dry Creek, Dickie's Creek and Slab Town to be specific.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I use to bow hunt there in the 80's .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, not as much as I used to, but I hunt there every year.

Dry Creek, Dickie's Creek and Slab Town to be specific.

Used to be a lot of deer in those areas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dickie's Creek isn't near what it used to be. One good buck from Dry Creek (that I'm aware of) in the past few years.

No one camps there anymore, a lot of bear hunters always in Dry Creek.

Slab Town has a ton of deer, and a ton of hunters.

Last good one I know of that came out of the area...
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's a hoss!

We used to hunt The Dry Run Wilderness area (even before it was a wilderness area) Killed 2 bucks there the same morning in 93. I thought i was going to die getting both of them out!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dickie's Creek isn't near what it used to be. One good buck from Dry Creek (that I'm aware of) in the past few years.

No one camps there anymore, a lot of bear hunters always in Dry Creek.

Slab Town has a ton of deer, and a ton of hunters.

Last good one I know of that came out of the area...
[Linked Image]

That is a beast of a buck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a hoss!

We used to hunt The Dry Run Wilderness area (even before it was a wilderness area) Killed 2 bucks there the same morning in 93. I thought i was going to die getting both of them out!

Given how rough some of that country is I have always been puzzled why VA will not allow a hunter to quarter and pack a deer out.

We can in NC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a hoss!

Given how rough some of that country is I have always been puzzled why VA will not allow a hunter to quarter and pack a deer out.

We can in NC.

We can, you just have to call it in first. I agree it's a stupid law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a hoss!

We can in NC.

We can, you just have to call it in first. I agree it's a stupid law.

You leave the deer to go call it in and the critter will be on the way to somebody else freezer before you get back.

Hopefully. they will change the regulation.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/30/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its a phone-in checking system. once you call you can bring it out in quart bags if you like.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You don't have to check it in first. You have to check it in prior to vehicular transport of the game animal, or at the conclusion of the hunting day, whichever occurs first and without unnecessary delay.

https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/gamecheck/

The "unnecessary delay" allows for hunters that are outside of cell range when darkness falls to call in the kill ASAP once they get to cell range. That does not mean that you can't cut it up and start (or completely) haul it out prior to making the call; it just means that you have to make that call as soon as such a call is feasible.

The system is a whole Hell of a lot better than it used to be, that's for damned sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to 3 different wardens...

If I decide to take a deer apart to bring it out, if I haven't called it in and received a number, I MUST have EVERY piece of the deer other than the internal organs. Otherwise, I will be ticketed if caught.

This was told to me by 2 different wardens in person, and one on a phone call.

I know from experience, you can't beat these grey areas in court. It sucks to get misdemeanor charges for something that isn't "wrong" or even clearly illegal. But they will pin it on you every time.

My advice, either call it in if you plan on quartering/deboning...or start dragging.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
According to 3 different wardens...

If I decide to take a deer apart to bring it out, if I haven't called it in and received a number, I MUST have EVERY piece of the deer other than the internal organs. Otherwise, I will be ticketed if caught.

This was told to me by 2 different wardens in person, and one on a phone call.

I know from experience, you can't beat these grey areas in court. It sucks to get misdemeanor charges for something that isn't "wrong" or even clearly illegal. But they will pin it on you every time.

My advice, either call it in if you plan on quartering/deboning...or start dragging.

I'll be at a Hunter Ed training seminar soon; I'll get the temp on this from VDGIF then and there.

I won't disagree that a lot of wardens interpret things differently based upon personal viewpoints rather than the language of the laws/regulations, and that's slow to change.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Page 30 of the 2015-2016 VA hunting regs, just for clarification on the question at hand:

Checking Bear, Deer, Elk, and Turkey

General Information

• It is unlawful to destroy the identity (sex) of any animal until it is checked. After the appropriate tag has been validated (notched), successful hunters are allowed to dismember the carcass to pack it out from the place of kill as long as they do not destroy the identity of the sex and all the parts of the carcass (excluding internal organs) are present when the animal is checked.

• All bear, deer, elk, and turkey must be checked by all hunters, including license-exempt hunters, upon vehicle transport of the carcass or at the conclusion of legal hunting hours, whichever occurs first and without unnecessary delay.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/huntin...ting-and-trapping-regulations-digest.pdf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
over 50% of the deer killed in va have never been checked in .this stupid bear thing is only going to make this worse.when they piss off 75-80% of the hunters just to make 25% happy this will happen.

Last edited by srwshooter; 08/06/15.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
over 50% of the deer killed in va have never been checked in .this stupid bear thing is only going to make this worse.when they piss off 75-80% of the hunters just to make 25% happy this will happen.

You piss and moan considerably.

Where in the Hell do you get the "over 50% of deer killed in VA have never been checked in" stuff?

That somehow people (who is the question) being pissed over $21 is somehow going to turn otherwise lawful hunters into game thieves and poachers (especially when tags are unlimited and cheap) on deer is just silly.

You are pissed about $21, obviously, but damn, it ain't that big a deal.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I've wondered how many really get checked now. With the phone in system does the VADGIF really care?

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I've wondered how many really get checked now. With the phone in system does the VADGIF really care?

No, in some respects, they really don't care.

They are trying to get a better handle on bear numbers and bear hunter numbers (thus, the tag) as well as turkey, and neither of those are going full phone/e-check in because of it.

Good Lord, I'd hate to imagine what some folks would do if they ever tried to hunt out West where they had to draw a damned tag instead of buying a fist full for relatively little money every year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Good Lord, I'd hate to imagine what some folks would do if they ever tried to hunt out West where they had to draw a damned tag instead of buying a fist full for relatively little money every year.

We have it made in that respect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that a lot of folks around here are like me in that a bear tag is an investment in Maybe.

I buy a tag every year because I might see one, but have yet to make a special trip to the woods looking for one. If I lived in an area where they were more common, it might be different. I do like the fact that the season runs concurrent with deer season.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well,i know that over 50% of the deer i hear about friends and friends of friends killing never get checked in at all.the vdgif has fixed it so they save all the money they can with there phone in system.i hunt all over the state and i see the same thing everywhere i go.we have people in high places in the vdgif that could care less about game,they just want the insurance companies off there back when it comes to deer .

its not that hunters are pissed about the 20.00 for the bear tag . its the fact that all we've heard for the last few years is that the growing bear population has to be brought under control.you people don't live in the highest populated area for bear in the state,i do. when one farm kills 27 bear on damage tags you know you have to many bear. one man killed 11 on that same farm 2 years ago. i've seen 25 trapped and relocated in a month within 1 mile from my house. we don't need any reason for hunters not to take a bear if they see one. having to pay extra for a bear tag will stop lots of hunters from buying it.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well,i know that over 50% of the deer i hear about friends and friends of friends killing never get checked in at all.

That says more about the people you're associating with than anything else. I've hunted the Commonwealth for nearly 30 years, and hunt with a lot of guys that have done so for far longer - most of them in or very near to areas that you say you hunt - and I can NEVER remember a single one of them not checking in a deer or even talking about knowing someone who didn't check one in. This includes every member of a very large hunt club in Nelson County (a county you say you hunt), as well as friends and family that hunt up and down the Shenandoah Valley, the Eastern Shore, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula, and in several areas around Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, and NoVA. Maybe more than 1/2 of the deer people you associate with don't get checked in, but that's a far cry from making the same assumption about the entire kill across the state.

the vdgif has fixed it so they save all the money they can with there phone in system.i hunt all over the state and i see the same thing everywhere i go.we have people in high places in the vdgif that could care less about game,they just want the insurance companies off there back when it comes to deer .

Good f'kin' grief. The VA deer herd is larger now than it has been at any time more than 20 years prior and will rebound from the mast crop failure and two disease outbreaks to increase beyond the historic maximum in just a few short years. If VDGIF was in league with insurance companies to somehow knock the population way down, they are going about it completely ass-backwards.

its not that hunters are pissed about the 20.00 for the bear tag . its the fact that all we've heard for the last few years is that the growing bear population has to be brought under control.you people don't live in the highest populated area for bear in the state,i do. when one farm kills 27 bear on damage tags you know you have to many bear. one man killed 11 on that same farm 2 years ago. i've seen 25 trapped and relocated in a month within 1 mile from my house. we don't need any reason for hunters not to take a bear if they see one. having to pay extra for a bear tag will stop lots of hunters from buying it.

I have lived in, and hunted, that area. I know bears and bear hunters quite well. The Parkway and Skyline Drive right adjacent to your area is a huge driver in bear population numbers and in problem bears, and there's no hunting there.

If someone is going to bitch about $21 over a bear tag, and I'm sure there will be a few, they'd likely not take a bear anyway - it'd be too much work.

VDGIF has managed the deer, turkey, and bear populations of the Commonwealth extremely well for quite some time. I have more than a little confidence in them knowing what they are doing from a biological standpoint, and far more trust in them than in folks that refuse to check in 1/2 of the deer they take when there are unlimited and very cheap tags available.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It's probably in this thread somewhere but how much for a nonresident bear tag?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
$151.

Here's the other kick about the "extra $21" for residents.

Buy the damned Resident Sportsman's License for $133 and the Bear License is included. That's a whopping $10 more than the same Resident Sportsman's License last year and has all the same tags as it has had before.

Resident Sportsman's License (age 16 and older)
Includes hunting license, bear license, deer/turkey license, archery license, muzzleloading license, freshwater fishing license, and trout license.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp#license-fees

For a hunter that hunts in more than one county, that license is the only one that makes sense. A resident hunting license costs $23 ($16 if only for one county), deer/turkey license is another $23, muzzleloader another $23, archery $18, fishing is $23, and trout is $23. Buying the licenses separately costs $133, so by buying the Sportsman's License, you're getting the $21 bear tag for free.

Much ado, about nothing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own 80 more acres of land and two homes in VA that TN, but still buy NON-RESIDENT licence since I live in TN most of the time. I buy the NR license because I hunt different places other than just my own land. I won't buy the Bear Tag because if I see a bear it will most likely be on my own property and I don't need a license there.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Oh well. So much for that. WV's is $162.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I own 80 more acres of land and two homes in VA that TN, but still buy NON-RESIDENT licence since I live in TN most of the time. I buy the NR license because I hunt different places other than just my own land. I won't buy the Bear Tag because if I see a bear it will most likely be on my own property and I don't need a license there.

Another very valid point. BTW - you don't even need to buy the nonresident license.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/licenses.asp#what-license

License Exemptions

All persons, except those listed below, must purchase the proper licenses before hunting or trapping. Where exempt, the exemption means the individual is exempt from the basic hunting license; bear license, deer/turkey license, archery license; muzzleloading license; trapping license; and Virginia Migratory Waterfowl Conservation Stamp. All seasons, bag limits, and checking requirements apply.

Resident or nonresident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner's parents, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish (on inland waters) within the boundaries of their own lands.
Tenants, on the land they rent and occupy, are not required to have a license, but must have the written permission of the landowner. Persons who lease property and do not permanently reside there are not exempt from license requirements.
Residents, 65 years of age and over, do not need a license to hunt or trap on private property in their county or city of residence.
Resident hunters under the age of 12 are not required to have a hunting license or hunter education. Nonresident hunters under the age of 12 need a hunting license but do not need hunter education to purchase one. All hunters under the age of 12 may not hunt unless accompanied and directly supervised by a licensed adult.
Residents under the age of 16 are not required to have a license to trap when accompanied by any person 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid Virginia trapping license.
Any person who is not hunting, but is aiding a disabled person to hunt when such disabled person possesses a valid Virginia Disabled Resident Lifetime hunting license or a Virginia Resident Disabled Veteran Lifetime license is not required to have a license.
Any Indian who "habitually" resides on an Indian reservation or a member of the Virginia recognized tribes who resides in the Commonwealth is not required to have a hunting or trapping license; however, such Indian must have on his person an identification card or paper signed by the chief of his tribe, a valid tribal identification card, written confirmation through a central tribal registry, or certification from a tribal office.
Stockholders owning 50 percent or more of the stock of any domestic corporation owning land in Virginia, his or her spouse and children and minor grandchildren, resident or nonresident, do not need a license to hunt, trap and fish within the boundaries of lands and inland waters owned by the domestic corporation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I purchase NR License so I can hunt where I grew up in Lee County my property is in Montgomery County

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Are there any deer in Lee county?

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well,i know that over 50% of the deer i hear about friends and friends of friends killing never get checked in at all.

That says more about the people you're associating with than anything else. I've hunted the Commonwealth for nearly 30 years, and hunt with a lot of guys that have done so for far longer - most of them in or very near to areas that you say you hunt - and I can NEVER remember a single one of them not checking in a deer or even talking about knowing someone who didn't check one in. This includes every member of a very large hunt club in Nelson County (a county you say you hunt), as well as friends and family that hunt up and down the Shenandoah Valley, the Eastern Shore, Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula, and in several areas around Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, and NoVA. Maybe more than 1/2 of the deer people you associate with don't get checked in, but that's a far cry from making the same assumption about the entire kill across the state.

the vdgif has fixed it so they save all the money they can with there phone in system.i hunt all over the state and i see the same thing everywhere i go.we have people in high places in the vdgif that could care less about game,they just want the insurance companies off there back when it comes to deer .

Good f'kin' grief. The VA deer herd is larger now than it has been at any time more than 20 years prior and will rebound from the mast crop failure and two disease outbreaks to increase beyond the historic maximum in just a few short years. If VDGIF was in league with insurance companies to somehow knock the population way down, they are going about it completely ass-backwards.

I have lived in, and hunted, that area. I know bears and bear hunters quite well. The Parkway and Skyline Drive right adjacent to your area is a huge driver in bear population numbers and in problem bears, and there's no hunting there.

If someone is going to bitch about $21 over a bear tag, and I'm sure there will be a few, they'd likely not take a bear anyway - it'd be too much work.

VDGIF has managed the deer, turkey, and bear populations of the Commonwealth extremely well for quite some time. I have more than a little confidence in them knowing what they are doing from a biological standpoint, and far more trust in them than in folks that refuse to check in 1/2 of the deer they take when there are unlimited and very cheap tags available.

va deer herd may be larger then ever but we are losing deer mainlt to predetors faster then ever.we had a vdgif estimate of 53% of our deer herd on the shenandoah national park starve to death do to deep snows back 2008-2009. the herd is no where near where it was before that. disease,coyotes and bear have been steadily hurting the deer every sense. i'm telling you EVERY HUNTER i know is complainng about the lack of deer .you don't live here so you may be lucky enough to hunt one or two places where you are seeing good numbers.

i know a good friend in the vdgif has been fighting trying to stop this bear tag and get the problem areas a extra tag or longer season for atleast 5 years. he just happens to our regional guy that sets in on all the meeting and helps right the game laws.he tells me all the time that you can't fight money.

va needs to get rid of some doe tags and the bear tag if they want a good deer herd in the western part of the state.then if we're lucky we will have good mass crops for a few years in a row.once you cross shenandoah mountain the deer must have a good acorn crop to survive bad winters because there is very little farmland with crops.i can show you many hunting camps in highland county that never get used now because they have very few deer.

Last edited by srwshooter; 08/07/15.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The "$21 is too much" line didn't work, because it's incorporated into the Sportman's license.

It further failed because landowners don't even need to buy a license at all on their own property, taking out your "I have too many on my place and so do my neighbors, and we won't shoot over $21" bit.

The 50% poached argument fell flat.

The "VDGIF is in league with the insurance company" part was laughable and still born. What next; did the Farm Bureau import coyotes to control the deer herd? Yes, I've heard that lunacy before, too, but it fits with the other red herrings you've chummed out there.

Now, you're going with the "you don't live here" approach? You don't live in Highland, Nelson, or outside of Richmond; all areas you say you hunt. That rules them out. Oh, and I hunt Nelson as I have for nearly 30 years A LOT. I also hunt Rockbridge, Amherst, Highland, and a few others, with a bunch of them bordering the Parkway and Skyline Drive; the same ones that you're complaining about having no deer (odd, 'cause there are a bunch drug out of there every fall). No one is bitching about bears or other schit; they are commenting on the disease outbreak and making a commitment to shoot fewer does and only old does BY CHOICE. It's really easy; just don't pull the damned trigger.

No schit the herd numbers are down from all time highs; VDGIF figures (that I provided a link to earlier in this thread) show that, and the rationale of 1) mast crop failure, 2) we hunters taking a schit ton of deer that year (figures prove that, too), and 3) two to three years (depending upon exact location) of EHD and Bluetongue outbreaks will do that.

A $21 bear tag, that is included in the Sportman license, and from which landowners are exempt, ain't gonna prevent the herd from rebounding quickly. What will is a lack of restraint on the part of hunters in VA. Perhaps get that through to the poaching crew you hunt with? It'll do a lot more good than bitching about bears.

Last edited by 4ager; 08/07/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
everything i've said works,you just have no clue.when you get to va. you go to any checking station and just ask how much its down.especially in the mountains. you will learn the truth.you don't enen have a stake in this never ending battle we are fighting.you obviously understand nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What you said about the parks is spot-on.

For a number of years I hunted on a farm about a mile from the Gettysburg battlefield. Within a few days of the opening of the season, many deer just crossed over into the park to ride out the storm. Several times I ran into town for a sandwich and saw literally scores of deer grazing peacefully on the site of Pickett's Charge. No bucks, though. The parkmis severely over- browsed, which you can observe by driving along Confederate Avenue and looking down through the adjacent woods. It's browsed clean to a height of about five feet so you can see the fields on the other side.

The Park Service employs snipers to thin them out, rather than allow bow hunting as practiced by some county and state parks.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/09/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
everything i've said works,you just have no clue.when you get to va. you go to any checking station and just ask how much its down.especially in the mountains. you will learn the truth.you don't enen have a stake in this never ending battle we are fighting.you obviously understand nothing.

The check stations are irrelevant now with the phone and Internet check system in place. Asking a check station how much the deer numbers are down makes about as much sense as asking the mailman how much bill delivery is down when folks are paying online.

"When I get to VA", huh? That's some funny schit right there. Even more so with "this never ending battle" thrown in. What "battle" is that?

It is obvious who understands what, though. That much is very clear.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What you said about the parks is spot-on.

For a number of years I hunted on a farm about a mile from the Gettysburg battlefield. Within a few days of the opening of the season, many deer just crossed over into the park to ride out the storm. Several times I ran into town for a sandwich and saw literally scores of deer grazing peacefully on the site of Pickett's Charge. No bucks, though. The parkmis severely over- browsed, which you can observe by driving along Confederate Avenue and looking down through the adjacent woods. It's browsed clean to a height of about five feet so you can see the fields on the other side.

The Park Service employs snipers to thin them out, rather than allow bow hunting as practiced by some county and state parks.

Many Parks in VA are that way as well.

Once bear season opens in VA, you won't find deer up high along the Blue Ridge Parkway (dog-running bear hunters use that as a corridor to hunt the National Forest off either side), but you better be REALLY careful driving the Skyline Drive at all once deer season opens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well, i talked my man in the vdgif this morning and he is telling me that they have only seen a few cases of disease in the ramseys draft area. he says the same thing i do that bad winters,lack of mass and coyotes and bears are more to blame for the deer herd decline in western augusta,highland and bath counties.he talked about the number of hunting camps in those area's that are for sale. we have a nice camp just across the mountain from ramsey's that we never use for hunting.

20 years ago i could go to that camp and every parking spot along the roads leading to the GWNF would have a camper in it.he told me that last year opening rifle season they saw 3 campers on the same road.a guy that was with him said he hunted near there on private property for 4 days last year. he never saw a buck and only saw 2 small does. oh he said he heard a total of 3 gunshots in that time. he also told me that he was sorry he couldn't stop the bear tag from coming and that it wasn't going help at all in my area.

you don't much have to worry about driving the skyline drive if you live near it because locals don't go up there much anymore. its turning into a tourist trap as they keep raising fees . i used to ride it and see hundreds of deer in a few hours. now you see very few deer most trips .the deer we have figured out that most of the food is on farms,not on the park.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well, i talked my man in the vdgif this morning and he is telling me that they have only seen a few cases of disease in the ramseys draft area. he says the same thing i do that bad winters,lack of mass and coyotes and bears are more to blame for the deer herd decline in western augusta,highland and bath counties.he talked about the number of hunting camps in those area's that are for sale. we have a nice camp just across the mountain from ramsey's that we never use for hunting.

20 years ago i could go to that camp and every parking spot along the roads leading to the GWNF would have a camper in it.he told me that last year opening rifle season they saw 3 campers on the same road.a guy that was with him said he hunted near there on private property for 4 days last year. he never saw a buck and only saw 2 small does. oh he said he heard a total of 3 gunshots in that time. he also told me that he was sorry he couldn't stop the bear tag from coming and that it wasn't going help at all in my area.

you don't much have to worry about driving the skyline drive if you live near it because locals don't go up there much anymore. its turning into a tourist trap as they keep raising fees . i used to ride it and see hundreds of deer in a few hours. now you see very few deer most trips .the deer we have figured out that most of the food is on farms,not on the park.

So, you've got a friend that works for VDGIF. GREAT! Join the club. The kill numbers out of those areas haven't dropped compared to where they were 20 years ago. In fact, they are higher now. There are less people hunting those areas now because the hunting is still as hard as it ever was, but there are more deer in much easier to hunt places so folks go where it's easier to get deer.

Agreed on the Skyline Drive; always been a tourist trap; just more of MD and DC are finding it now.

Still waiting to find out what "battle" is raging without end, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the battle to stop the idiots in richmond inside the vdgif from ruining va. hunting . we fought from 2004 -2010 to stop them and the DEQ killing off all the fish in our river systems. we put in lots of hours to get laws changed to stop the dumping of garbage along the rivers and to get sewage treatment plants filtration of discharge water upgraded. fishing is getting better now. if you want to see how bad the state will lie to you then you shoulda been in those meetings.if it weren't for a few good people that had some pull in the state we would have never gotten anything changed. we already have the state hunting split into eastern and western regions. its a real PITA sometimes to keep up with all the rule changes from county to county,but we really need more changes in certain areas to control bear populations.

happy hunting.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
the battle to stop the idiots in richmond inside the vdgif from ruining va. hunting .

Whoa..... Ho'kay..... yeah, VDGIF has been on an agenda to "ruin" hunting in Virginia. Yep, and the numbers prove it, right?

Total for Virginia 1947 4019
Total for Virginia 1948 5162
Total for Virginia 1949 6910
Total for Virginia 1950 5699
Total for Virginia 1951 7230
Total for Virginia 1952 10874
Total for Virginia 1953 11797
Total for Virginia 1954 14079
Total for Virginia 1955 14227
Total for Virginia 1956 20855
Total for Virginia 1957 22473
Total for Virginia 1958 26841
Total for Virginia 1959 28969
Total for Virginia 1960 36145
Total for Virginia 1961 32875
Total for Virginia 1962 38838
Total for Virginia 1963 38391
Total for Virginia 1964 31179
Total for Virginia 1965 27983
Total for Virginia 1966 26156
Total for Virginia 1967 24934
Total for Virginia 1968 28041
Total for Virginia 1969 34150
Total for Virginia 1970 38138
Total for Virginia 1971 42369
Total for Virginia 1972 48775
Total for Virginia 1973 60789
Total for Virginia 1974 61989
Total for Virginia 1975 63443
Total for Virginia 1976 63671
Total for Virginia 1977 67059
Total for Virginia 1978 72545
Total for Virginia 1979 69940
Total for Virginia 1980 75208
Total for Virginia 1981 78388
Total for Virginia 1982 88540
Total for Virginia 1983 85783
Total for Virginia 1984 84432
Total for Virginia 1985 101425
Total for Virginia 1986 121801
Total for Virginia 1987 119309
Total for Virginia 1988 114562
Total for Virginia 1989 135094
Total for Virginia 1990 160411
Total for Virginia 1991 179344
Total for Virginia 1992 200446
Total for Virginia 1993 201122
Total for Virginia 1994 209373
Total for Virginia 1995 218476
Total for Virginia 1996 209743
Total for Virginia 1997 198561
Total for Virginia 1998 179027
Total for Virginia 1999 190043
Total for Virginia 2000 187878
Total for Virginia 2001 215872
Total for Virginia 2002 214847
Total for Virginia 2003 237035
Total for Virginia 2004 221492
Total for Virginia 2005 215082
Total for Virginia 2006 223775
Total for Virginia 2007 242792
Total for Virginia 2008 256382
Total for Virginia 2009 259147
Total for Virginia 2010 222074
Total for Virginia 2011 233104
Total for Virginia 2012 215241
Total for Virginia 2013 244440
Total for Virginia 2014 192186

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/deer/harvest/index.asp

Yep, those numbers from the first VDGIF deer season in 1947 through the last numbers from the 2014 season show that VDGIF is trying t ruin hunting in VA; those bastards. (sarcasm font off). We only have more deer than at almost any time in history (save for the herd recovering from two/three disease outbreaks and a mast crop failure), more bear, more turkey, more publicly accessible lands, more tags, and better PR in the state for hunters than at any time in history as well. Oh, and a Constitutional amendment to protect our right to hunt (that VDGIF supported), too. If that's "ruining it", I'll take it.

we fought from 2004 -2010 to stop them and the DEQ killing off all the fish in our river systems. we put in lots of hours to get laws changed to stop the dumping of garbage along the rivers and to get sewage treatment plants filtration of discharge water upgraded. fishing is getting better now.

Who the Hell is this mysterious "we" and WTF are you talking about with VDGIF and DEQ trying to dump garbage in the streams and them NOT supporting the sewage treatment plant upgrades? You've come up with some ludicrous schit in this thread so far, but damn, that might take the cake.

if you want to see how bad the state will lie to you then you shoulda been in those meetings.if it weren't for a few good people that had some pull in the state we would have never gotten anything changed.

Again, who is this mysterious "we"?

we already have the state hunting split into eastern and western regions.

That split has been in place since the early 80s, at least. Ain't no way that mysterious "we" can claim that, or that it's recent.

its a real PITA sometimes to keep up with all the rule changes from county to county,but we really need more changes in certain areas to control bear populations.

happy hunting.

Considering that you've already stated that the group you hunt with doesn't give a damn about rules (refusing to check in 1/2 of the deer they take), why the Hell are you bitching about rules?

Considering VDGIF's track record of managing game populations in the Commonwealth, they'll have a better handle on bear populations than you give them credit for - and it's still just as easy to take a bear now as it was before (buy the damned Sportsman license, just like before).

I never thought I'd meet a VA hunter who bitched as inconsistently and with as little factual support as a PA hunter, but I guess there's always one.

Last edited by 4ager; 08/09/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we are the group of hunters and fishermen that do not want to see thing go down hill any more then it already has. people who actively fight the state when they lie to us over and over about things are being dumped into our rivers .

the state DID NOT support sewage treatment plant discharge upgrades and infact lied to everyone for 4-5 years about the fish kill problems we have on the shenandoah and james rivers.we fought and got the turkey and chicken litter dumping rules changed to better control the runoff into our rivers. we also fought them in meetings where they would just plain lie to groups of people that were concerned about fish kills along the shenandoah river. they actually showed pictures of pets being walked and them crapping on pavement at a newly opened mall in waynesboro and blamed this on the fish kills.

at the same meetings they posted a map of the river system that clearly showed the bacteria levels along every section of river. there own maps showed 8% average bacteria levels above most sewage treatment discharge pipes and a increase to a average of 35% below the plants.ofcourse they said this wasn't a problem.they lied and lied til we got tired of listening to the lies. at the same time they were issuing permits to dump way to many biosolids (human dry waste from sewage treatment plants that is used for fertilizer on farms)along the banks of the rivers. i finally contacted the ward burton foundation about the sewage treatment plants discharges now putting clean enough water back in our rivers. ward was then on the governors board and the game commission board.
he agreed that we needed to fix this problem and began to push to fix the problem. after 2 years of pushing them we started to see sewage treatment plants upgraded on the shenandoah and now the fishing is getting better.don't tell me that i don't know what i'm talking about when it comes to fish kills on the shenandoah river because i spent 5 years doing nothing but fighting to have this fixed. all along staying in almost daily contact with our regional bioligist at the verona office. we were finding sores on bass everytime we fished and reporting conditions along the river daily. at the time i had a custom built jet boat and was fishing most of the troubled areas weekly.we also set up stations along the river to do weekly water samples to see if anything was changing.the river is finally getting better after a long fight with the state.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
we are the group of hunters and fishermen that do not want to see thing go down hill any more then it already has. people who actively fight the state when they lie to us over and over about things are being dumped into our rivers .

the state DID NOT support sewage treatment plant discharge upgrades and infact lied to everyone for 4-5 years about the fish kill problems we have on the shenandoah and james rivers.we fought and got the turkey and chicken litter dumping rules changed to better control the runoff into our rivers. we also fought them in meetings where they would just plain lie to groups of people that were concerned about fish kills along the shenandoah river. they actually showed pictures of pets being walked and them crapping on pavement at a newly opened mall in waynesboro and blamed this on the fish kills.

at the same meetings they posted a map of the river system that clearly showed the bacteria levels along every section of river. there own maps showed 8% average bacteria levels above most sewage treatment discharge pipes and a increase to a average of 35% below the plants.ofcourse they said this wasn't a problem.they lied and lied til we got tired of listening to the lies. at the same time they were issuing permits to dump way to many biosolids (human dry waste from sewage treatment plants that is used for fertilizer on farms)along the banks of the rivers. i finally contacted the ward burton foundation about the sewage treatment plants discharges now putting clean enough water back in our rivers. ward was then on the governors board and the game commission board.
he agreed that we needed to fix this problem and began to push to fix the problem. after 2 years of pushing them we started to see sewage treatment plants upgraded on the shenandoah and now the fishing is getting better.don't tell me that i don't know what i'm talking about when it comes to fish kills on the shenandoah river because i spent 5 years doing nothing but fighting to have this fixed. all along staying in almost daily contact with our regional bioligist at the verona office. we were finding sores on bass everytime we fished and reporting conditions along the river daily. at the time i had a custom built jet boat and was fishing most of the troubled areas weekly.we also set up stations along the river to do weekly water samples to see if anything was changing.the river is finally getting better after a long fight with the state.

Waaaayullll, Gaaawwwllleee!

You managed that all by yourself?

I'll be ever so sure to contact the James River Association, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, the Chesapeake Bay Commission, the Riverkeepers on every one of those rivers, the shellfish lobby and fisherman's groups, Trout Unlimited, and all the other lobby groups just to let them know they didn't do schit on that and that the EPA mandates on river water quality requirements were not needed. Why, you did that all by yourself against the "evil" VDGIF (who had no say in it), and VA DEQ that remarkably lied in those meetings and yet supported your line position in other meetings and hearings.

Of course, not one damned bit of this fantasy has anything to do with any of your previously held positions on hunting on this thread (that have been debunked), or much of anything else either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
enough of your stupity.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
enough of your stupity.

Yep. Stupidly, I posted facts, figures, and basic math in relation to license fees, herd numbers, management, and most other points.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,221 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.