-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have always loved blued steel and walnut,but seems when I buy black matted steel and plastic,( for half price)the bullets all seem to group nicely,which is what I'm after.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think the RAR has replaced the 77 as Ruger's top seller. My 77 is a real solid rifle with pretty wood and steel and shoots terrifically (after a trigger job, free float of the barrel, glass bedding etc.) it is my favorite rifle but it is after all a tool, a means to an end and not an unfired safe queen investment piece.

The RAR I got this year in 30-06 will be an extra for me and my grandsons first big game rifle. I did have to put one of those Sims vibration rubber grommets on the barrel - not because I wanted to tune it - the barrel was just too light to balance right and hold steady. I shot 2 sub MOA groups today at 100 yards one with 150 grain factory cheapies and one with 180 partitions and the 130's my grandson shoots group just as well.

Ugly and effective is preferable to pretty and finicky for my hunting purposes.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sometime in the mid sixties, I was young, married, had two kids, and was working entry level pay. Remington had just come out with the ugly 600 series at a MSRP of $99.95. A friendly LGS guy put me into one for $75 and for a small down and 30-60-90 payout. I went to Gibson's and got a set of Weaver mounts at about $7 and one of their house brand scopes for about $10. I used a 1" black target paster for a target. Once zeroed, the 6mmR, put three touching on the paster, and again, and again.

Then came the 788 a few years later. Another cheap date that folks soon found to work better than a red neck girl.

The arms companies often put out finely engineered low cost stuff that works, often better than the top of the line, but they have NO SOUL, for lack of a better description. You can't be seen in public with them, but make fine truck guns.
Jack

Last edited by jt402; 08/23/15.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jt402

The arms companies often put out finely engineered low cost stuff that works, often better than the top of the line, but they have NO SOUL, for lack of a better description. You can't be seen in public with them, but make fine truck guns.
Jack

Pretty much....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SOUL is a word that people who spend too much for something use to justify the extra expense.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
SOUL is a word that people who spend too much for something use to justify the extra expense.

You'll know when you find a rifle with soul. Sounds like you are making excuses for being a cheap bastid too....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

You'll know when you find a rifle with soul. Sounds like you are making excuses for being a cheap bastid too....

Rifles have no 'souls', that's invented for the guys like you to not feel guilty about jerking off to 'fine' wood.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JPro

[Linked Image]

Your taste in beer matches your taste in rifles!

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Not his taste in mowers...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Don't hate on the Beast! grin

There are times when "going cheap" isn't that bad of an idea. Beer to stash in the camp fridge isn't going to be top notch, and the rifle to bang around on the tractor or Polaris might be more of the wal-mart variety. The other two main rifles we use for those purposes are pawn-shop 788's. I went SS RAR so I could just leave this one behind the seat of the truck all the time and not sweat the humidity changes. Pun there..... (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ringworm
Not his taste in mowers...

Definite points on the JD.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

There are times when "going cheap" isn't that bad of an idea. Beer to stash in the camp fridge isn't going to be top notch, and the rifle to bang around on the tractor or Polaris might be more of the wal-mart variety. The other two main rifles we use for those purposes are pawn-shop 788's. I went SS RAR so I could just leave this one behind the seat of the truck all the time and not sweat the humidity changes. Pun there..... (grin)

I do not judge.... grin.

Travis

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Drinking the Beast the next step is admitting you have a problem whistle

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I believe the Ruger American rifle will eventually dominate.
Reasons:
1. Kenny Jarrett has stated in a number of places that a three lug action will out perform a two lug bolt. I think he is serious because he set up to produce such an action. Also, I think he knows what the heck he is talking about. By the time you get a complete action together you will have spent at least 1600 bucks.
2. The magazine box is a cousin, design wise, of the rotary magazines in the Savage 99 and Manlicher Schonoer (sp) which were praised for having the best systems ever designed.
3. A push feed action with a center feed clip is extremely reliable. In fact it is just as reliable as a control feed out of a double stack magazine box. The model 1911 pistol, the Glock, and just about all modern semi automatic and automatic rifles (AR's) use such a system and they never fail to feed.
4. The barrel nut system, that allows one to quickly and easily change barrels is a big advantage.

It is inevitable that there will be many aftermarket parts.

The primary the detraction regarding the Ruger American Rifle is that it is readily available and reasonably priced. Also, it works really well without a bunch of upgrades.

Just wait until Jewel makes a trigger for it.

Last edited by RinB; 08/24/15.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RinB
It is in the evitable that there will be many aftermarket parts

Wish they'd hurry up on decent replacement mags.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read somewhere that Draganov said that designing the magazine was the hardest part of the Draganov rifle project. Took them a year to get it right. Ruger rushed it, in my opinion.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by RinB
It is in the evitable that there will be many aftermarket parts

Wish they'd hurry up on decent replacement mags.....

What he said....

I put mine in a Boyds and it is a nice shooting rifle, but don't like the magazine.

Good Shooting!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have both a RAR, in 7-08, and my beloved, old M77 tanger in 7mag sitting side by side in the safe. The RAR is in the same league as my Glock - it is a tool that does what it was designed to do, and does it well. The M77 is a whole 'nuther story. After 37 years, it is still a beauty in my eyes, one look at her takes me back to when I was a 21 year old kid driving my '71 Beetle home from the gun shop with my first new rifle. She has earned her place as 'queen' of the safe. I'm just a sentimental ol' fool, I guess.

Last edited by JeffyD; 08/27/15.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought long and hard about an American the other day, but finally plunked down my bucks for a Weatherby Vanguard S2 stainless. It was, on average, about $200 more than the stainless RAR, pretty much dinner and a movie these days. I'll cook the dinner, watch something on Netflix, and call it even.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
mebbe you should go hungry tonight and lissen to the radio.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,983
Posts18,480,914
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.