Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No, the law requires one be in fear of serious bodily injury to themselves, or another, as justification. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Fear alone is inadequate. The fear must be reasonable by an objective standard. Standing passively with hands raised is inadequate, regardless of how much actual fear the officers subjectively felt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm betting that second video is from the body cam that all LE IN Texas is required to wear

I dunno that the Sheriff's Dept. has 'em yet, the local reports said neither officer was wearing one.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The video I've seen on TV appears to have been shot with a cell phone, over a fence, from a 2nd story window across the street.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Standing passively with hands raised is inadequate

I saw a guy raise his hands, but he didn't look at all passive to me. If I had to pick between a) he was surrendering or b) he wanted to draw 'em in closer, I'd pick "b".

JMHO....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Again when was the last time you faced someone who was angry/mentally unstable, and who was armed with a knife?

I'm married, so its not exactly all that rare of an occurrence. smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimy

Again when was the last time you faced someone who was angry/mentally unstable, and who was armed with a knife?

Stop thinking with your dipstick, Jimy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I have dealt with individuals armed with knives enough times to one thing...when confronting them and attempting to put hands on. You're going to get cut. In 15 years I was cut twice

One time cost me a couple hours of surgery and 4 weeks off from work. The second cost me 11 stitches

If he had had a knife in his hands, raised or not and was within 21 feet and not responding cognitively/appropriately to LE commands and was acting aggressively, either physically or verbally then it was was a justifiable use of force

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I have dealt with individuals armed with knives enough times to one thing...when confronting them and attempting to put hands on. You're going to get cut. In 15 years I was cut twice

One time cost me a couple hours of surgery and 4 weeks off from work. The second cost me 11 stitches

If he had had a knife in his hands, raised or not and was within 21 feet and not responding cognitively/appropriately to LE commands and was acting aggressively, either physically or verbally then it was was a justifiable use of force

I'm copying your post and measuring my kitchen, I think I'm inside the twenty one foot rule, the little woman better watch her chitt, and make better coffee from here on out!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

No, the law requires one be in fear of serious bodily injury to themselves, or another, as justification. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Fear alone is inadequate. The fear must be reasonable by an objective standard. Standing passively with hands raised is inadequate, regardless of how much actual fear the officers subjectively felt.

I'm betting Pat knows more about tx's use of force laws than you do

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoulda shot the guy responsible for this:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

If that is the case, you should divorce your husband.

whistle

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Chicks dig scars, hell you owe him one!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I'm betting that second video is from the body cam that all LE IN Texas is required to wear

I dunno that the Sheriff's Dept. has 'em yet, the local reports said neither officer was wearing one.

Birdwatcher

Body Cams are not required, but mobile video recorders are. They will be, and funding was just approved by the State to buy some yesterday.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
20 years ago, we joked about having to wear a video camera on our shoulder while we worked. Shouldn't have laughed so hard at the idea...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
http://www.kristv.com/story/2993852...cial&utm_source=facebook_KRIS_6_News

check out video in link.

CORPUS CHRISTI -

Local attorney Thomas J Henry is now representing the family of a man killed by two deputies in Bexar County.

Video of that shooting was released on Tuesday, and raises serious questions about whether deadly force was justified.

The video was shot by a citizen with the cell phone down the street.

It shows Flores shot twice by two deputies while he appears to have his hands in the air.

"This still photograph shows Mr. Flores in his front yard, with his hands up," said Henry on Tuesday as he pointed at one of several large posters, "This is critical because this video appears to demonstrate that the immediate danger of death or serious injury to an officer or another officer had passed."

Henry says it was a domestic dispute involving Flores and the mother of his child, born 21 days earlier, that brought deputies to the home.

A spokesperson for the sheriff's office said those deputies tried to use non-lethal force to detain him, but it didn't work, so they resorted to gunfire.

Henry worries the shooting could impact future standoffs between suspects and police.

"If you put your arms up, and that's not enough to say 'I give up', and you get shot and killed, what does that say for people who are willing to give up?" he questioned.

Henry has also learned that another citizen shot a similar video, and it could shed even more light on what happened.

Henry wants that video released by the county.

"I think all people in the community, in the state, and in our country want to see that second video to confirm whether it clarifies was he holding both of his hands up when he was shot and killed," he said.

According to Henry, a civil rights lawsuit in federal court isn't a certainty yet, but based on what he knows right now, it's highly likely.

A grand jury is expected to review the shooting to decide if the deputies should face criminal charges for their actions.

UPDATE 9/2/2015

Various media sources are stating that Flores had prior convictions for aggravated robbery and assault with a deadly weapon.

Comments

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So here is a video, taken at the Wal-Mart in Lubbock a week or two ago. This guy has his hands up and down several times, but I don't believe there is anyone here that would think he was no longer a threat. It took 4 police with multiple bean bag rounds, and I think maybe a tazer as well, to take him down.

You less than lethal force guys should watch this. Life isn't so simple in the real world as it is the theoretical one. He didn't go down until he took a bean bag to the head, which can very easily be lethal.

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onli...ficer-use-less-lethal-force#.Veb6UPlVhHw

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
20 years ago, we joked about having to wear a video camera on our shoulder while we worked. Shouldn't have laughed so hard at the idea...

Right? I remember telling myself..."Thank God I'll be retired before I have to learn how to use a computer"

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

Body Cams are not required, but mobile video recorders are. They will be, and funding was just approved by the State to buy some yesterday.

I actually thought I had heard it from you, my mistake

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I saw the vid everyone else did, and of course I wasn't there so can't pass correct judgement, but my first thought was that could have easily been a " Fun with Tazers" moment....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You did, but it was the MVR.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 204guy, 46 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,232
Posts18,504,391
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.