Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Why is it that liberals always have great faith in doing more of what has already failed?

Because they think they are smarter the everyone, so they think THEY would not fail where their ilk have failed before.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I don't think the concept of "shrinking middle class" holds much water.

The American populace is the wealthiest the world has ever known. And that includes those living under the .Gov defined poverty line.

My Grandparents worked 16 hour days, six days a week scratching a living out of the dirt on eighty acres to keep their family of eight fed, clothed and warm. The entire family in a two bedroom cinder block home built by their own hands.

They had running water and an inside toilet, and so were considered upper middle class in these parts.

Today a person earns less than what the gov't calls poverty. But they have never cut a stick of firewood in their life, have never shoveled taters out of the dirt for their kids dinner.

They work 25 to 40 hours a week, get a nine thousand dollar tax refund check, gov't assistance with heat bills, groceries, and rent.

They spend 100 hours a week in front of the TV, gaming system, or computer. They carry a six hundred dollar smart phone around and pay $150-$300/month phone bill. And if they have ever missed a meal in their life.......it is only because their drug/alcohol habit took precedence over eating.

And they call them self poor. And WORSE, Obama calls them poor.

When the inevitable collapse of our artificially inflated economic system does occur. A BUNCH of folks are going to find out just exactly what the definition of poor is.

I'd love to post this on Facebook, but it would be plagiarism. I've got some relatives I'd love to have read this.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

The American populace is the wealthiest the world has ever known. And that includes those living under the .Gov defined poverty line.

My Grandparents worked 16 hour days, six days a week scratching a living out of the dirt on eighty acres to keep their family of eight fed, clothed and warm. The entire family in a two bedroom cinder block home built by their own hands.

They had running water and an inside toilet, and so were considered upper middle class in these parts.

Today a person earns less than what the gov't calls poverty. But they have never cut a stick of firewood in their life, have never shoveled taters out of the dirt for their kids dinner.

They work 25 to 40 hours a week, get a nine thousand dollar tax refund check, gov't assistance with heat bills, groceries, and rent.

They spend 100 hours a week in front of the TV, gaming system, or computer. They carry a six hundred dollar smart phone around and pay $150-$300/month phone bill. And if they have ever missed a meal in their life.......it is only because their drug/alcohol habit took precedence over eating.

When the inevitable collapse of our artificially inflated economic system does occur. A BUNCH of folks are going to find out just exactly what the definition of poor is.

I'd love to post this on Facebook, but it would be plagiarism. I've got some relatives I'd love to have read this.

It's not Plagiarism if you give proper credit and do not claim it as your own.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So you took plenty of charity and handouts. Not everybody will do that and instead suffer greatly. Doesn't sound like you did any great things as far as bettering yourself either but everybody on here likes to toot their own horn to high heaven for doing nothing special. Oh, and don't be completely stupid, If welfare was completely shut down tomorrow the gov't would continue to steal just as much of your money as they do now. They'd just waste it on something else instead.

Now now, don't be bitter and jealous. You could do it too!

If going from nothing to upper middle class with skills and an education, the means to provide for my family isn't bettering myself then clearly we have very different definitions of betterment.

I owe it to those who invested in me and my future out of their own generosity to continue to improve. If you don't think I'm humbled by their compassion and moved to pay it forward you're sorely mistaken.

No shame in charity when it's needed. The shame is dwelling in welfare. People there feel entitled to it. The Nation owes me my government cheese! Those that receive charity know the people that have invested in them. They are their faces and cross paths regularly. There is a higher sense of accountability with that. Hard to hold your head high and look them in the face of you aren't honoring them by bettering yourself.

I don't claim to have done anything spectacular. I was up front and honest with the fact that I'm where I am now much due to the fact others have given of themselves to help me.

Try to find the expression of embarrassment, humility, and sheer gratitude on the face of a welfare recipient when they cash that government check. Compare that to the face of a charity recipient.

Hell, the only reason I came back here this week was to update some of those that helped me right here. I owe it to them to show that their investment wasn't wasted.

Not bettered you say...

Some people just want to remain bitter and full of excuses for their lot....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good for you. Everything I have and everything I've learned I got myself with no handouts or help from anyone. I don't have a need to account for any "investments" to anyone for anything. I wouldn't want it any other way.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Indeed something to be proud of!

So why are you here advocating welfare so much? Surely if you could do it, others can too. You didn't need the Government. I didn't need the Government. Why does every other Tom, Dick, and Harry need it so bad?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm not advocating welfare at all. Just saying I can certainly understand why some folks choose to go on it when working for a living often pays considerably less and provides a much less extravagant lifestyle. Look, things have changed a bunch here since I got out of school. My very first job {factory} after graduating HS in 1979 paid me 134.00 per wk. take home. My rent at the time was 125.00 per month. I had no problem paying rent, utilities, food, etc.. on that and keeping a dependable vehicle on the road. Fast forward 36 years and you won't find an entry level job anywhere around here that pays anywhere near enough to live off. Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment now runs 6-700.00 per month and entry level factory jobs {if you can find one and that's a big IF} are paying 4-500.00 per week GROSS. No way in hell anybody's gonna LIVE on that without gov't help or just going without a bunch of things they need. Like lunch, new tires, a good vehicle, heating oil, health care etc etc.. Things have gone down the shytter economically and it needs to change or more and more people are going to just give up and go on welfare..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lotsa guys on here been plenty poor

me included.

gettin started in the real world was not as easy as it looked from behind a school desk.

but real poverty is in the 6 inch space between your ears

as others have opined, if you can't make a life in this country the greatest place of opportunity as witnessed by so many trying to get in here.

the only system at fault is the one inside your head that tells you "I can't"

can't never could do nothin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HAJ

your story makes me so proud of you and the guys on this fire that helped you.

so very decent of you to give them the props they deserve and your attitude about it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Generosity of others helped immensely. The last 2 months were in the front yard of a family at this time of year. They allowed us to use their facilities.

I've been all over this planet. I've seen real depravity. American poor are far far from that...

We are blessed to be American

Depravity is everywhere. Deprivation also. Just saying.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Dan, By all means.

Copy and paste at will!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Why is it that liberals always have great faith in doing more of what has already failed?

Because they think they are smarter the everyone, so they think THEY would not fail where their ilk have failed before.

Yup, arrogant and delusional.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm not advocating welfare at all. Just saying I can certainly understand why some folks choose to go on it when working for a living often pays considerably less and provides a much less extravagant lifestyle. Look, things have changed a bunch here since I got out of school. My very first job {factory} after graduating HS in 1979 paid me 134.00 per wk. take home. My rent at the time was 125.00 per month. I had no problem paying rent, utilities, food, etc.. on that and keeping a dependable vehicle on the road. Fast forward 36 years and you won't find an entry level job anywhere around here that pays anywhere near enough to live off. Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment now runs 6-700.00 per month and entry level factory jobs {if you can find one and that's a big IF} are paying 4-500.00 per week GROSS. No way in hell anybody's gonna LIVE on that without gov't help or just going without a bunch of things they need. Like lunch, new tires, a good vehicle, heating oil, health care etc etc.. Things have gone down the shytter economically and it needs to change or more and more people are going to just give up and go on welfare..

You do realize that capitalism is supposed to work exactly that way. That is, NYS has priced itself out of its own market and can no longer compete as a legitimate entity, so it is suffering the pains of bankruptcy. It is a slow slide into irrelevancy. Your theoretical young-guy-trying-to-get-started could simply move to a productive, booming state and make $100k in his first year with no higher education, so long as he has a driver's license, can pass random drug tests, and shows up on time everyday.

Leave NYS and live a little!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good for you. Everything I have and everything I've learned I got myself with no handouts or help from anyone. I don't have a need to account for any "investments" to anyone for anything. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Looks like you're a stupid [bleep], if you have to live in a van down by the river.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

First and foremost I am against "blacklists," such as what happened in Hollywood during the late 1940s and through the 1950s. I believe that in this country a person can believe whatever he or she wants and not be punished for it.

On the other hand, I believe a company, such as a studio in the case of the Hollywood blacklists, has the right to employ or not employ whomever it wishes, for whatever reason. It is the studio's money to spend as it wishes. I do not agree with what the studios did, but they had the right to do so.

What I have always found, however, to be the height of hypocrisy is the fact that the screenwriters, etc. in Hollywood who were members of the Communist Party USA, or the Communist Party International, or were "sympathizers, who always screamed "First Amendment Freedom of Speech & Freedom Of the Press!!" yet believed in the destruction of the Constitution and the replacement of our Constitutional Republic with a communist form of repressive government.

They were so ignorant and naïve of what communism entailed they couldn't imagine that under communism, they would have been the first to have been stood up against the wall and shot ... or they would have survived only if they wrote precisely what they were ordered to write. Freedom of Speech/Press doesn't exist under communism.

Another great hypocrisy of the communist screenwriters, et al, was the fact they loved the money, perks, privileges and glamour of Capitalism in Hollywood, but despised the Capitalist system that brought them these "comforts."

To this day, that attitude exists among many of Hollywood's elites and wannabee elites, except today, they self righteously call themselves "progressives" and the ideology "progressivism."

As usual, hypocrites one and all.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
in other words L.W. , Democrats!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Looks like you're a stupid [bleep], if you have to live in a van down by the river.

If you gathered that I live in a van by the river from any of that you're the dumbphuck. But then we both already knew that.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Just going on what you've already stated. Don't be hard on yourself, you were obviously taught by an idiot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's a shame your mother didn't have any kids that lived. But then whores are likely to have diseases that complicate childbirth.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I was counting my emergency $100 dollar bills in my wallet.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 12 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 803 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,219
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.