Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
I know this has been discussed before. Since Brad mentioned it, anybody care to share benchers technique with lightweights?

The answer, "about like everything else" sums it up nicely. But with a caveat...

For me, a small bag under the mag and another under the heel. Then hold just as you would shooting offhand or kneeling. The bags just take the shakes out.

I do believe the lighter the rifle, the more sensitive it is to different technique. This is why I want my bench technique to mirror, as closely as possible, my field technique when shooting my 84M. I tried shooting groups using the bags this way, then off a bipod without holding the forend. Ha, a shotgun patterns better when shooting off the bipod with no forend support. The 84M in 338 Fed is pretty light at 5lb 12oz and really moves if not supported. The actual groups were .8" and 3.5". But if handled just as it is in the field, it shoots fantastically.

OTOH, when shooting my 26" bull barreled .308 Win (Savage 10FP), I can use a bipod, bags, shoot one hand or two, it matters not.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To answer the OP, I would say nothing, for the same price, off the shelf compares.

Hell, I've owned a couple of dozen and making sure action screws were properly torqued and the scope was properly mounted were all that were ever necessary for me to be able to easily find an accurate load. The constant mention of the "need" for the "fixes" and "tweaks" in the shortactionsmoker thread seems to be very scary to some. In looking at that thread you will see that everything therein is so easy a twelve year old can do it and costs nothing. If one or multiple of those suggestions help someone, that's great. I've actually used those fixes/tweaks to help with other rifles.

The only thing that has ever made me consider shying away from Kimbers is the fact that the homunculus from Alaska jumped on the Kimber Montana bandwagon years after I did. Guilt by association ya know.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/06/15. Reason: I corrected a spelling error.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I too agree there is nothing in the market place in the same category as an 84M.
After numerous trials with other makes and models, many of which were adequately accurate, I have gone back to the Montana's for all my needs.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by deflave
A Remington XCR2 in an Edge stock weighs the same as a Kimber Montana?

Travis

Close enough to where it won't matter 99% of the time.

An XCR2 will fend rust much better. An Edge stock will be resistant to scrapes and gouges.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
ended up getting a 84M classic select .308 last night off gunbroker-gonna slap a leupold 6x42 on it and go kill stuff!

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
At-a - boy, don't over think it. Great choice. Enjoy the new rig.

Originally Posted by lubbockdave
ended up getting a 84M classic select .308 last night off gunbroker-gonna slap a leupold 6x42 on it and go kill stuff!

The Lord loves humility.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
84M in 308 is a no brainer do all rifle. Enjoy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can find an old European Brno 21H around. I compared mine in 7x57 to our Kimber 84M Classic in 7-08 that wears a 2-7 Leu.

The 21H weighs 7#9oz with a 3-9x33mm Leu in the original factory mounts.

The Kimber Classic is lighter at 6#12oz however the 21H is cool with it's butterknife bolt handle and signed "made in czechoslovakia" on the barrel and zbrojovka brno Nardoni Podnik on the receiver. The 21H weighs 7#9oz with a 3-9x33 Leu in orignial cz mounts.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Savage_99
If you can find an old European Brno 21H around. I compared mine in 7x57 to our Kimber 84M Classic in 7-08 that wears a 2-7 Leu.

The 21H weighs 7#9oz with a 3-9x33mm Leu in the original factory mounts.

The Kimber Classic is lighter at 6#12oz however the 21H is cool with it's butterknife bolt handle and signed "made in czechoslovakia" on the barrel and zbrojovka brno Nardoni Podnik on the receiver. The 21H weighs 7#9oz with a 3-9x33 Leu in orignial cz mounts.

[Linked Image]

The Brno is cool but not really comparable, especially talking Montana. it's an 8 lb rifle VS a 6 lb rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your a tool maker with big strong hands the Brno will be a Bridgeport and the kimber a toy.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JFC Dave ... you SOLD me a perfectly good 84M 7mm-08 a couple years ago. Once I figured out how to hold a 7# rifle on bags it got down right boring flinging sub-inch triangles with 120 NBT's and it keeps shooting fine in the field.

Get yourself a time machine, don't list mine for sale, and be perfectly happy with your corrected temporal arc, cuz you're not getting this one back.

GE

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
JFC Dave ... you SOLD me a perfectly good 84M 7mm-08 a couple years ago. Once I figured out how to hold a 7# rifle on bags it got down right boring flinging sub-inch triangles with 120 NBT's and it keeps shooting fine in the field.

Get yourself a time machine, don't list mine for sale, and be perfectly happy with your corrected temporal arc, cuz you're not getting this one back.

GE

Sounds like Dave might be kicking himself in the azz for selling that Kimber... Probably more so after reading the posts from this thread..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

GE

Sounds like Dave might be kicking himself in the azz for selling that Kimber... Probably more so after reading the posts from this thread..

Oh please....I have bought and sold so many over the last 10 years, and there are several I'd love to have back. It is my sickness...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe you just need a small group of us that share your tastes in rifles to "subscribe" to your buy/sell list so we can either talk you out of things or at least be in a position for you to know where they went to in case you need ask how their doing or see pictures down the road?

GE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your a tool maker with big strong hands the Brno will be a Bridgeport and the kimber a toy.

LMAO!

Yeah, and if folks are like you (a do nothing joke of a moronic SOB who doesn't hunt aside from sitting on hay bales and hasn't killed anything at all in the last quarter century) none of it matters at all.

Go back to being invisible, DumbassDon.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haven't read the entire thread, but my Nosler Patriot is a heckuva great hunting rifle. Very well built, and very accurate. Nosler's CS is top notch.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe you just need a small group of us that share your tastes in rifles to "subscribe" to your buy/sell list so we can either talk you out of things or at least be in a position for you to know where they went to in case you need ask how their doing or see pictures down the road?

GE

love this idea!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Haven't read the entire thread, but my Nosler Patriot is a heckuva great hunting rifle. Very well built, and very accurate. Nosler's CS is top notch.

I'm glad I've never had to use CS on my old pre 64 model 70's... wink whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 4ager

LMAO!

Yeah, and if folks are like you (a do nothing joke of a moronic SOB who doesn't hunt aside from sitting on hay bales and hasn't killed anything at all in the last quarter century) none of it matters at all.

Go back to being invisible, DumbassDon.

Too true, I can recall S99 making negative comments about the Brnos and dissing me for my enthusiasm for them, he has the consistency of *Skippy PB* and about the same level of intelligence.

I have owned about 20 Brnos & CZs, since 1965 and three Kimbers and base my opinions on actual use in BC, not on pointing rifles across pastures to take photos for display on internet forums.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (163bc, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 35 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,333
Posts18,505,972
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.