Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never ran over 265's in SBH.
Prefer the Dragoon frame.
Never liked the Bisley frames, look or feel.
Shot one when they first came out.
Didnt hurt, just felt funky.
I get kinda low on the frame, the gun doesn't slide. So I can shoot right, thumb left and get a few shots off before the gun does move in the hand.
Another reason to not shoot 300's.
That grip would probably have me rather purpled.

Did shoot some warm stuff from a Smith 329PD a guy had.
Hated the sights.
Factory wood grips weren't bad.
They were cast bullets of 255gr IIRC.

For a side arm, not a primary hunter........change the sights and that might be dandy.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/24/16.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
(sic)

If a Redhawk could be built with a 5" barrel, and an action as light and smooth as a S&W, then that would probably take top shelf. It just has not happened yet.

A buddy had a pair of redhawks worked over by Magnaport. I'd put a redhawk with a good action job up against any S&W. With the street price of a 5 1/2" redhawk ~$200 less than a 629, you pretty much cover the cost of an action job.

Now if the barrel just has to be 5", starting with a 7 1/2 and wacking it down will kill the price differential

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'd put a redhawk with a good action job up against any S&W.

I have to second this.

My own Redhawk (5.5" barrel) has an amazing trigger. I bought it used and suspect the previous owner had some work done to it since it is unlike the previous Redhawk I had. It is on par with a lot of older Smiths that I have handled and shot and better than several of them.

My Smith M69 however has an absolutely atrocious trigger. Heavy with a lot of creep. SA is good...but still not as crisp as my Redhawk.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
5" 629 Classic DX

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
The grip frame and action are significantly better on the Super. I know lots of folks can't get past the aesthetics.

I would be in that group. But I do like the Redhawks.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

As to industrial espionage, if I remember the story right, supposedly Ruger scored some spent casings from the trash at either Remington or Smith and Wesson and crafted their first revolvers around them.

That's the story I remember as well. I believe it was out of Remingtons trash. Someone found them and took them to Bill Ruger.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had a fair number of 44's over the years mostly Ruger but I do like Smiths as well. First 44 I brought to Alaska was a model 29 nickel, which was sweet. Back then the 629's were harder to find then hens teeth and when you did you paid a kings ransom for them. My first one I was shooting 328 grain HC made by a guy named Ace Dube. Good load only about 21 grains of W296 but it didn't hold up. Went to the Ruger Super Blackhawk 7-1/2" which was too long to carry so had it cut down to 5-1/2". I've had that one the longest. It just flat points well for me and in Alaska the first shot can be important. I've had several 629's over the years after they added the endurance package. But the Redhawk is my next favorite. Even have a BFR in 44 Mag. Nice gun too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
...and in Alaska the first shot can be important.

When / where is the first shot NOT important?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just target practice. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nothing meaningful to add, just padding my post count to get some arr-eee-ess-pee-eee-cee-tee. whistle

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
Any revolver with the name Freedom Arms engraved on the side. There are Rugers or BFR's that sometimes are "just as accurate. But none can match the build quality or accuracy (on average) built into every Freedom Arms. The quality of the actions are second to none.
Expensive yes, but quality always is.

I love Freedoms as much as the next guy, but I will put BFRs up against them any and every day of the week with regards to accuracy. They build 'em well with match-grade barrels. Fit and finish and aesthetics it's no contest as FA hands-down wins, but accuracy...... Have some box-stock Rugers that will get it done on the range as well as any higher end guns. Times have changed IMHO.

My main concerns about a BFR's is the action and plow grip. By the time you get the grip modified, custom grips added, and then have a gunsmith go over the action you are close to what you could of bought a Freedom Arms for in the first place.
Both are nice in their own right but the FA would tend to hold a higher % of resale value.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The grip frame and action are significantly better on the Super. I know lots of folks can't get past the aesthetics.

I would be in that group. But I do like the Redhawks.

The first time I shot a SRH I got over the aesthetic issue. Having a revolver that was mechanically extremely accurate and just as importantly one I could shoot to it's accuracy potential is all I care about, i.e. the aesthetics of a small group.

Also the SRH is lighter than the std Redhawk.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a fair number of 44's over the years mostly Ruger but I do like Smiths as well. First 44 I brought to Alaska was a model 29 nickel, which was sweet. Back then the 629's were harder to find then hens teeth and when you did you paid a kings ransom for them. My first one I was shooting 328 grain HC made by a guy named Ace Dube. Good load only about 21 grains of W296 but it didn't hold up. Went to the Ruger Super Blackhawk 7-1/2" which was too long to carry so had it cut down to 5-1/2". I've had that one the longest. It just flat points well for me and in Alaska the first shot can be important. I've had several 629's over the years after they added the endurance package. But the Redhawk is my next favorite. Even have a BFR in 44 Mag. Nice gun too.
"Ace Dube"...tff

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by CraigC
Nothing meaningful to add, just padding my post count to get some arr-eee-ess-pee-eee-cee-tee. whistle

"You can't find that here." Kenny Chesney

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My problem with ALL .44 Magnum revolvers is the size of the gun it's self, I do not have large hands and most .44 magnums are just a bit too big to be comfortable for me to carry and shoot.

The N-Frame S&W is just a bit too large for my hands...and even then the N-Frame is a bit small for a steady diet of high-pressure .44 ammo. The K-Frame would be "right" as far as feel....but would definitely be too small for .44 Magnum pressures. The L-Frame would be "OK" for carry, but very marginal as far as proper for the .44 Magnum pressures.

My first .44 Magnum was a Ruger Super Blackhawk which was a great revolver but I quickly realized it was a bit too large for my hand size. I replaced it with an original Ruger Flattop .44 Magnum .

This, to me. is the "perfect" .44 Magnum revolver. It feels right on my hands and is accurate and robust enough for my use. I "know" it is a bit light for extended use with .44 Magnum ammo. But it is a .44 MAGNUM. How many "thousands" of rounds am I likely to shoot with a .44 Magnum? For the 200-500 rounds a year I will likely shoot...it will do just fine and carry so much easier.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My main concerns about a BFR's is the action and plow grip. By the time you get the grip modified, custom grips added, and then have a gunsmith go over the action you are close to what you could of bought a Freedom Arms for in the first place.
Both are nice in their own right but the FA would tend to hold a higher % of resale value.

I have found that FAs do not actually hold their value. They can found on the used market for around $1,200.00 give or take and in fact I have never paid more than that for any of mine, and for the initial expenditure they need a trigger job as well. BFRs on the other hand are hit or miss on the trigger. Some are quite good out of the factory, and in fact every one that I have owned has been good. The guns can be had new for less than $1,000.00 and $325.00 will get you a modified grip frame and a custom set of grips made for your hand. Have you checked Premier Grade prices lately? They're nearly $2,800.00. Not a real bargain IMO, as I can have a full-blown custom built for just about that much. Again, JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Fotis
Is which one and why? I am not referring to custom guns but generally commercially produced.

The BEST commercially produced 44 magnum revolver ever? I know of nothing that compares to the Freedom Arms M83 Premier Grade revolvers. There are several 44 revolvers that are a better value out of the box, but none that equal the M83PG.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'll stick with the FA premiers, and you can stick with the BFR's or customs:)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have found that FAs do not actually hold their value. They can found on the used market for around $1,200.00 give or take and in fact I have never paid more than that for any of mine, and for the initial expenditure they need a trigger job as well. BFRs on the other hand are hit or miss on the trigger. Some are quite good out of the factory, and in fact every one that I have owned has been good. The guns can be had new for less than $1,000.00 and $325.00 will get you a modified grip frame and a custom set of grips made for your hand. Have you checked Premier Grade prices lately? They're nearly $2,800.00. Not a real bargain IMO, as I can have a full-blown custom built for just about that much. Again, JMHO.
Some joint blew BFR's out for $700 two or three years ago.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I believe that was when CDNN got rid of a bunch of BFR's in 500 JRH. One heck of a deal for those that bought them.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,863
Posts18,478,602
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.