Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I realize I could be chasing a handful of possible issues

1987 Ford Ranger 2.9

Basically my run around fishing/hunting truck, maybe put 500-700 miles on it a year.

Started to occasionally last year studder/die for a moment after being warmed up. You could drive it all day and it wouldn't do anything and the next time 10-15 minutes into whatever trip you were on it would do it. Might happen once or twice and not happen again.

Started to increase in frequency, but still pretty irregular.

Yesterday it was fine in the AM, got to work (9 miles away). Had to make a field visit (reason I took the truck) and it was pretty bad after I started to head back.

Than it didn't miss a beat for 20 miles and got really bad. It's a manual, so I left it in gear and it finally picked up again.

Did what I had to do, headed back and missed maybe one time really lightly.

Think I changed the plugs on it a handful of years ago (not many miles). Wires are old, but in decent shape. Cap/rotor were changed last year.

Wondering what to start with first? Thinking maybe the fuel pump(s). Dread that thought on a 29 year old MN vehicle. Would probably pull the box off, figuring that would be easiest.

Any other thoughts opinions. Kind of partial to this thing, my dad bought it new and I really like it for a beater but hate to start throwing a bunch of money at it.

Sorry for the long read....

Thanks

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could be anything, bad fuel, plugged fuel filter from a rusty tank etc.

You're just going to have to try to narrow it down one thing at a time.

Start with each system, check it out, then move to the next one.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Run it at night and watch the engine in the dark. Look for sparks off the wires and distributor that would indicate a voltage leak.

I have an 87 Bronco II with the same engine. I'm having a head gasket problem with a little water leaking into a cylinder. That will make it miss some. Are you losing water but not seeing a leak or water in the oil?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
EGR valve?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My 84.5 2.8L just died one day. Turned out to be the ignition module on the back of the distributer.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Catalytic Converter could be getting clogged or breaking apart inside and blocking the exhaust. Had it happen twice and was only when warmed up.

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hope to start put-zing with it this weekend, weather permitting.

Thought about the head gasket previously, doesn't really loose any coolent and the radiator doesn't bubble. I know these 2.9's are notorious for cracked heads as well. Doesn't really have those signs either.

Might have to just think about moving on, not going to just start throwing money at it left and right.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
and here I always thought that was just the way they were from the factory... some bright Idea Fuel Saving Plan mandated by the EPA... whistle

or another example of Ford "Quality"... grin

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
another example of Ford "Quality"... grin

Everything flipping vehicle has it's issues, much less any that have spent 29 years in MN/WI winters.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
ya , check the plug wires in the dark....they can look OK and still be arcing all over the place

IC B3

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
She died about 3 blocks from my place yesterday... Was going to go to the dump quick and come back and start working on her frown

Fuel pump ordered, so I'll start there. Soaked the crap outta the bolts holding the bead on and hopefully that's not too much of a pain in the a$$ to take off and slide back vs going in from underneath.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an '85 F150 with the 300 six and it was notorious for having the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold come loose as well as the mounting bolts for the carb. After a while it just became routine to grab a ratchet and some sockets and crank them all back down.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like bad gas. If it sets a lot run non ethnol with some stabilizer..

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Sounds like bad gas. If it sets a lot run non ethnol with some stabilizer..

It does normally sit quite a bit, but the last few months I've been using it quite a bit and have filled it up a few times at the same station I normally use with no issues in my other vehicles.

This problem has been progressively getting worse and finally escalated.

I just put a new starter and transfer case motor on it this winter along with four tires, so I'll throw a few more bucks at it and hopefully buy a few more years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Check the fuel pressure, there is a port on the fuel rail. Should be around 39 psi. Also, have you ever replaced the IAC valve (idle air control)? They have a tendency to get plugged and stick. Pull it off and look in the port hole. Probably plugged.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had an 87 Ranger that did the same thing. The problems. as I recall, were always electrical. The last time it died on the road was because of a bad "fusable link", which was a cable on the left side of the engine compartment when viewed from the front.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I had an 87 Ranger that did the same thing. The problems. as I recall, were always electrical. The last time it died on the road was because of a bad "fusable link", which was a cable on the left side of the engine compartment when viewed from the front.

That sounds like maybe the shutdown for the fuel pump in the event of an accident perhaps?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1

That sounds like maybe the shutdown for the fuel pump in the event of an accident perhaps?

There's a relay in the passenger side of the foot-well that does that and that's been by passed a LONG time ago.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like you are on the right track with the fuel pump. You will need to empty the tank and drop it of course. Be ready for the possible need to cut and replace the hanger Bolts, they might be too rusted for the nuts to come off.

Just a suggestion...I would replace the whole Fuel Module rather than just the pump, screen and seal because the gauge resistor will also probably be about worn through.

One thing about this, even if it ends up not being the fuel pump it was probably ready to quit any day anyhow so it's good Preventative Maintenance towards the future.

The line quick connector clips are fragile...

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Surgery started yesterday afternoon - Got three of the six bed bolts removed, cut off the other three.

So I'm going in from the top after lunch and when a buddy will be here to help lift the bed off. No way I was going to attempt it from below.

Have a whole new pump/module ready to slip in (hopefully easily) and will keep my fingers crossed from there. I'll go after the relay next if need be. After that, I might be parting ways.

Contemplating buying a new crew cab 1/2 ton and getting rid of my jeep that I normally use for a daily driver.

3/4 diesel sits in the garage for heavy hauling needs. Not going to use that as a daily driver and it's paid for and really not depreciating in value with the ever increasing cost of heavy duty trucks.

Long story short, wish me luck... Really like my little truck and never concerned about it being dirty or getting scratched.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.