Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys I'd really like to encourage everyone to have a small First Aid kit of some sort.

Mine is in a small flat plastic 'box'. It has small & large band aids, 1 needle, antibiotic cream etc. the box and contents are small and the weight is negligible.

For yuse older guys on blood thinner -- good band aids are important.
Ask me how I know. <grin>

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/03/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Power bars (2)
Gatoraide (1)
surgical gloves (3 pair)
socks (1 pair)
Matches (2 small boxes, packed separately in waterproof containers)
Firestarters (at least two different kinds)
Flagging tape (6 precut pieces)
Skinning knife
Boneing knife
para cord (6 ft)
Ammo (extra 10 rounds)
Twine for attaching carcass tag
Whistle
Compass or GPS
Map

If I am way out in the back of beyond, I will also carry a GPS, map, lightweight shelter, a small FA kit, and more food.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 04/06/16.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wont mention my full pack, but a few things I have not seen on the list:

Sagen saw - handy for cutting pelvis
Pee Bottle - old quart drink bottle so I dont have to let it fly off the deer stand.
Heat seat - Must have in MN for the deer stand.
2 orange cloths / bandana's - use these hang in trees when tracking on a thin blood trail or to mark where you shot on at a deer on the trail so the buddies come to help know where to look. Flagging tape doesn't work as well as a square cloth because it blends in with the thin white popple trees.

I try to get most of my stuff in the back of thin nylon orange bird vest that I wear under my heavy jacket(s) to minimize pack size. The thin vest lets me keep stuff on my body, take jackets on to regulate heat, stay legal when I am gutting or working hard dragging a deer.

Two drag ropes. One for the obvious and the other for making a double loop shoulder strap set up and roll up my heavy jacket to keep my hands free when walking or dragging.

BTW - film canisters can be found fee at older camera shops that develop film, but those supplies are drying up with time. I like to put the PJCB's in a double bagged sandwich bags because the container is soft and squishy to fit in pockets better.
I keep many items on me in case I get separated from my pack or am hanging from a safety strap. Always need the ability to start fire, call or text someone, whistle to signal (versus screaming...), and a knife to cut myself down with.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
BUMP

I pulled this OP up from 3/16 to RE read the posts of others to remind myself of a few ideas and others might be interested.

I have refreshed my first aid kit and put in new latex gloves along with new batteries in my headlight.

BTW - SKANE I ain't usin a cougher OR butt out (tool) grin.

Originally Posted by jwall
I'm NOT talking 'backpack hunting' just a Day Hunt Pack. What do you NORMALLY carry for A Day Hunt?

I like/prefer light weight rifles because you carry them in your hands & arms. A heavy rifle becomes a burden during hours of Still Hunting/Stalking. In a Stand (shooting house as some call them) a heavy rifle doesn't make a diff.

This pic is of my backpack and what I "normally" tote ON MY BACK for a Day Hunt. It 'averages' 12 lbs. It'll vary a little but not a whole lot. I also carry light shooting sticks but they are NOT usually in the pack.

[Linked Image]

The pack itself is a 'Remington' brand and has multiple pockets. There is 1 pocket in the very top + 2 side pockets & 1 interior divider.

From the Back-Left to Back Right.

Thermos - Cold Days>>>>Grunt Tube >>>Rattle Bag
Water >>>>Comp Binos >>>Snacks
Coke >>>>Ammo pack >>>Chips (not in pic)
L R F >>>>Pruner
Headlamp >>>>Saw
>>>>Drag Rope<<<<

The drag rope is not essential but I've been packin one so long it has become a habit. I do use it often enuff to justify packin it.

If you use a smart phone, you can enlarge and see more details of the pic.

Jerry

edit to SAY what I's thinkin! smirk

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carry less and less, but I do carry a sandwich size zip lock bag to put my punched tag in and then use a large safety pin to pin the bagged tag inside the ear.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Headlamp, leatherman, game bags, rubber gloves, a few water bottles, rain coat, spotter and tripod, black tape, stocking cap, plenty of azzwipe(just in case...grin), extra ca'tridges for whichever rifle I am packing, couple granola bars, a smooshed up bologna sandwich, open reed coyote call, and my camera..

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In my daypack: Headlamp and spare AA's, tag and holder, extra ammo, grunt tube (sometimes), face mask, drag rope, buck folder knife, GPS, H20 in collapsible canteen, folding saw, TP, snacks, Heavy duty Garbage bag, emergency space blanket, fire starting kit, fleece vest, (sometimes a poncho).
Depending on the season i sometimes have Glovemitts, knit hat, heat packs, and a small thermos of black coffee.

No butt out though!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Food , knife, food, small binos, food, water, food, rope, food, flashlite, food, grunt, food, TP, food, gloves and usually some food.

FJB & FJT
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.