Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 70 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 69 70
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm sure guys like the old hunters in Africa shot hundreds if not thousands of buff with POS Kynoch bullets, but time marches on, and the Partition aint even in the same universe as a TSX, Aframe, NF, CEB, etc.

That's your opinion and one based on very little killing of buffalo.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
time marches on, and the Partition aint even in the same universe as a TSX, Aframe, NF, CEB, etc.

What a complete crock of chit.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
time marches on, and the Partition aint even in the same universe as a TSX, Aframe, NF, CEB, etc.

What a complete crock of chit.

Right..in particular an Aframe is a copy of the partition that neither penetrates as deep nor kills as fast.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Ray
One thing that seems lost on some of you is the fa t that the partition is designed to blow off the front core. It is also worth pointing out that there isn't much and in some cases no differance in penetration between a mono metal and a partition, yet the partitions will kill faster IME.

That's true, and that's the reason why I use tougher bullets such as the A-Frame, and now the TTSX. I have shot moose through the lungs with the 250-grain partition (the Federal HE load), and as I mentioned before it broke to pieces inside the moose, probably because it was driven too fast. But the same bullet loaded around 2660 fps and shot through the lungs of the same moose would have done exactly what you said.

I shot another moose with the old Lubalox-coated 230-grain FS, and the moose dropped like hit by lightning, simply because it broke the near shoulder and cut through the heart arteries as it passed though the lungs. I shot another with a 225-grain TSX from around 125 yards, and it dropped right there. I haven't shot anything with the TTSX, but I am certain that it has the potential of killing just as well as other bullets as long as I do my part. Call me chicken if you like, but in bear country I want tough bullets I can depend on to break bone if needed.

That said, I understand that each one of us for whatever reason has one or two favorite bullets, and arguing about which one is best makes no sense. As for me, I prefer mid-weight bullets that retain more of their weight: 225 to 250-grain A-Frame, 225-grain to 250-grain TTSX.

I also wouldn't mind using a 250-grain Partition, or even a 250-grain to 300-grain Woodleigh, but the 225-grain TSX is the best all around hunting bullet for me.

How do you know the partition blew up?

How?

Because of the very small pieces of lead and jacket all over the inside of the moose. It did kill the moose fast enough, so I am not complaining about that. Maybe the 250-grainer loaded at 2800 fps was too fast? I don't really know, except that it expanded too fast. I still have around 10 rounds of the 250-grain NOS HE, but don't want to hunt with them in bear country.

All I am saying is that I prefer another controlled-expansion bullet that is designed to retain a lot more of its weight than the partition. Now, the Partition Gold is supposed to do that (it is tougher), but I haven't use it.

Last edited by Ray; 04/13/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ray, did the bullet exit?

BTW the Partition Gold has been dead for a long, long time. You're out of the loop by a fair piece

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't have the time nor desire to press this, suffice to say the test results of all these bullets regarding penetration are posted over on AR (over a thousand pages of posts, complete with photos and charts) that say just that. As to very little killing of buffalo, it is asinine to say those PHs had "very little killing of buffalo". Further, there are myriad posts over on AR, including the site's owner and Partition users for large, dangerous game are in a very distinct minority.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While I don't personally use RN bullets while I head west, I don't particularly dote on the BC of the bullet either. I have taken elk with the TSX, Partition and Accubonds. I'd gladly run the Northforks or Swifts for the same jobs. My absolute max range that I can practice to is 600 yards. I think a higher BC bullet may assist with a breeze I can't feel from my shooting position, but honestly, if I can feel a strong enough wind, I am holding fire or finding a way to cut the distance. What I won't take a chance of is getting into the timber with elk and being worried about if my bullet will smash the onside and hopefully the far side legs upclose. As so one said, most of the elk hunting kills for me have been around 250-300 yards. If there was a sleek high BC bullet that I knew would expand (and maintain its frontal area) when the speed as dropped off and but still would hold up, up close, I'd run them in all the guns. So far, the closet I have taken animals with is the AB and PT's. Not knocking the others, just haven't used them yet. I will say I tend towards the heavier end of AB's just to hedge my bets and I haven't been bitten yet.

As for the 300 Wby... Well, I have seen it work EXCELLENT with the 180 PT and 200 AB. So much so there isn't much I would worry about hunting with those two. Same goes for the 200 PT, just haven't taken or observed any elk taken with them.

Someone mentioned the 250 PT from a 338 Win Mag blowing up, and I wouldn't question it, but I have seen that bullet blow through a ton of bone and meat and put it into a bunch of water jugs and never once seen it start to do anything wonky, but just as with anything man made, stuff happens, but for hunting really furry stuff, I'd stake my life on that bullet as much as anything else that is made.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't have the time nor desire to press this, suffice to say the test results of all these bullets regarding penetration are posted over on AR (over a thousand pages of posts, complete with photos and charts) that say just that. As to very little killing of buffalo, it is asinine to say those PHs had "very little killing of buffalo". Further, there are myriad posts over on AR, including the site's owner and Partition users for large, dangerous game are in a very distinct minority.

Those tests where shot into media and AR is a site largely populated by "dude" hunters. Not to mention there are other factors then penetration when it comes to killing critters. Penetration doesn't kill, wrecked vital organs does

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by Ray
One thing that seems lost on some of you is the fa t that the partition is designed to blow off the front core. It is also worth pointing out that there isn't much and in some cases no differance in penetration between a mono metal and a partition, yet the partitions will kill faster IME.

That's true, and that's the reason why I use tougher bullets such as the A-Frame, and now the TTSX. I have shot moose through the lungs with the 250-grain partition (the Federal HE load), and as I mentioned before it broke to pieces inside the moose, probably because it was driven too fast. But the same bullet loaded around 2660 fps and shot through the lungs of the same moose would have done exactly what you said.

I shot another moose with the old Lubalox-coated 230-grain FS, and the moose dropped like hit by lightning, simply because it broke the near shoulder and cut through the heart arteries as it passed though the lungs. I shot another with a 225-grain TSX from around 125 yards, and it dropped right there. I haven't shot anything with the TTSX, but I am certain that it has the potential of killing just as well as other bullets as long as I do my part. Call me chicken if you like, but in bear country I want tough bullets I can depend on to break bone if needed.

That said, I understand that each one of us for whatever reason has one or two favorite bullets, and arguing about which one is best makes no sense. As for me, I prefer mid-weight bullets that retain more of their weight: 225 to 250-grain A-Frame, 225-grain to 250-grain TTSX.

I also wouldn't mind using a 250-grain Partition, or even a 250-grain to 300-grain Woodleigh, but the 225-grain TSX is the best all around hunting bullet for me.

How do you know the partition blew up?

How?

Because of the very small pieces of lead and jacket all over the inside of the moose. It did kill the moose fast enough, so I am not complaining about that. Maybe the 250-grainer loaded at 2800 fps was too fast? I don't really know, except that it expanded too fast. I still have around 10 rounds of the 250-grain NOS HE, but don't want to hunt with them in bear country.

All I am saying is that I prefer another controlled-expansion bullet that is designed to retain a lot more of its weight than the partition. Now, the Partition Gold is supposed to do that (it is tougher), but I haven't use it.

So in all actuality the bullet functioned exactly as it should have...
What you are saying is you prefer a bullet that does less internal damage and kills slower. Whatever floats your boat..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I might also add that the CEB that Jorge seems to like is also designed to blow off its front end just like a partition and all the "dudes" over at AR are keen on them.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Dudes" you mean like the owner of the site with more that 200 buffalo to his credit, or do you mean the myriad PHs who post there? Are there "dudes" ( I guess I'm one of those) who post there? of course. Here's a picture of a recovered Partition (on the right) having lost it's front core (yes, from a dead buffalo). A Frame won't do that, it's an "improved" Partition.

[Linked Image]

And here's the link to the thread from hell. Plenty of dead animal and tissue analysis by vets as well.
link

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
"Dudes" you mean like the owner of the site with more that 200 buffalo to his credit, or do you mean the myriad PHs who post there? Are there "dudes" ( I guess I'm one of those) who post there? of course. Here's a picture of a recovered Partition (on the right) having lost it's front core (yes, from a dead buffalo). A Frame won't do that, it's an "improved" Partition.

[Linked Image]

And here's the link to the thread from hell. Plenty of dead animal and tissue analysis by vets as well.
link

That bullet is about as good as it gets performance wise. The Swift Aframe is an improvement that isn't. It succeeds only in having less penetration and less abrupt killing. And I have used them. I in fact just sold off my last stock of them on the classifieds here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
While I don't personally use RN bullets while I head west, I don't particularly dote on the BC of the bullet either. I have taken elk with the TSX, Partition and Accubonds. I'd gladly run the Northforks or Swifts for the same jobs. My absolute max range that I can practice to is 600 yards. I think a higher BC bullet may assist with a breeze I can't feel from my shooting position, but honestly, if I can feel a strong enough wind, I am holding fire or finding a way to cut the distance. What I won't take a chance of is getting into the timber with elk and being worried about if my bullet will smash the onside and hopefully the far side legs upclose. As so one said, most of the elk hunting kills for me have been around 250-300 yards. If there was a sleek high BC bullet that I knew would expand (and maintain its frontal area) when the speed as dropped off and but still would hold up, up close, I'd run them in all the guns. So far, the closet I have taken animals with is the AB and PT's. Not knocking the others, just haven't used them yet. I will say I tend towards the heavier end of AB's just to hedge my bets and I haven't been bitten yet.

As for the 300 Wby... Well, I have seen it work EXCELLENT with the 180 PT and 200 AB. So much so there isn't much I would worry about hunting with those two. Same goes for the 200 PT, just haven't taken or observed any elk taken with them.

Someone mentioned the 250 PT from a 338 Win Mag blowing up, and I wouldn't question it, but I have seen that bullet blow through a ton of bone and meat and put it into a bunch of water jugs and never once seen it start to do anything wonky, but just as with anything man made, stuff happens, but for hunting really furry stuff, I'd stake my life on that bullet as much as anything else that is made.

The AB and PT are fine bullets. Keep in mind even at 300 yards a bullet with a medium BC like an AB will be running away from a brick like an Aframe or a NF.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sure.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

There are differences in the way Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames do their job, but they are more varied than you suggest, and often more subtle.

First, penetration is at least as related to frontal area of the mushroom as weight retention, which is exactly why A-Frames don't penetrate any deeper, on average, than Nosler Partitions or equal weight and diameter. This is especially true of heavier, larger-caliber Partitions, which have the partition moved forward so they'll retain more weight. Nosler designs them to retain at least 75% of their weight, even if they lose the front core, but if they do retain some core they normally retain about as much weight as A-Frames.

Second, the shape of the mushroom also has considerable effect on the wound channel. If flat or "cupped" (like a Partition that's lost its front core) damage from cavitation is increased considerably beyond the diameter of the bullet. This is why flat-nosed or cupped solids do more internal damage than round-nose solids, but also applies to expanding bullets. A-Frames end up with a rounded mushroom, which creates a hole in vital tissue almost totally due to the wide diameter of the expanded bullet. Partitions damage considerable tissue too, but more of it results from slightly more "shrapnel" and a flat/cupped mushroom.

Third, apparently the vast majority of shooters aren't aware that only the FRONT end of A-Frames is bonded. The rear end isn't, which is why the rear half often bulges widely when the bullet hits larger bones, or even softer tissue at close range. This also reduces penetration, but helps makes a bigger hole.

The jackets of Nosler Partitions are made of gilding metal, which is harder than the pure copper of A-Frames, and the jacket over the rear core is thicker as well. Consequently it's rare to see a recovered Partition with even a slight bulge in the rear core, and I have yet to find one where the rear core punched through the partition, but have seen that with the occasional A-Frame.

Both are great bullets, but the A-Frame cannot be simply termed an "improved" Partition, because of the several other differences, especially in materials and jacket thickness. Partitions work in other ways that affect both penetration and wound channel, far more than merely bonding the front core. I know this because I've tested a bunch of both in various kinds of media, including animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, John. We've discussed the Partition/Aframe differences and similarities before, and having used both, I can certainly agree with what you wrote. My comments (and links) to different POVs were provided to show different perspectives and performances, as well as what the conventional wisdom and predilections are for not only Big Game hunters but Professionals as well. There is no denying Noslers are great bullets, but in *my* opinion (for what it's worth) there are better bullets out there. j

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Meanwhile, back at the elk topic...I guess I am less inclined to worry about all the nuances of one bullet over another. I have killed a bunch of elk with a Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt bullet and there are lots of people badmouth that bullet.

I still have hundreds of rounds loaded with that bullet and you won't be seeing me throw them out anytime soon...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shrapnel,

One one elk hunt I encountered another hunter who killed a cow from about forty feet! He was using a .30-06 with 180 grain Core-Lokt. That bullet entered the near shoulder and was found against the off side of the pelvis. I do believe a .300 Weatherby would have killed it much faster since the elk went at least 300 yards and maybe 400 after being hit.

He had a young son with him so I gave them a hand getting it out.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jorge,

There are differences in the way Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames do their job, but they are more varied than you suggest, and often more subtle.

First, penetration is at least as related to frontal area of the mushroom as weight retention, which is exactly why A-Frames don't penetrate any deeper, on average, than Nosler Partitions or equal weight and diameter. This is especially true of heavier, larger-caliber Partitions, which have the partition moved forward so they'll retain more weight. Nosler designs them to retain at least 75% of their weight, even if they lose the front core, but if they do retain some core they normally retain about as much weight as A-Frames.

Second, the shape of the mushroom also has considerable effect on the wound channel. If flat or "cupped" (like a Partition that's lost its front core) damage from cavitation is increased considerably beyond the diameter of the bullet. This is why flat-nosed or cupped solids do more internal damage than round-nose solids, but also applies to expanding bullets. A-Frames end up with a rounded mushroom, which creates a hole in vital tissue almost totally due to the wide diameter of the expanded bullet. Partitions damage considerable tissue too, but more of it results from slightly more "shrapnel" and a flat/cupped mushroom.

Third, apparently the vast majority of shooters aren't aware that only the FRONT end of A-Frames is bonded. The rear end isn't, which is why the rear half often bulges widely when the bullet hits larger bones, or even softer tissue at close range. This also reduces penetration, but helps makes a bigger hole.

The jackets of Nosler Partitions are made of gilding metal, which is harder than the pure copper of A-Frames, and the jacket over the rear core is thicker as well. Consequently it's rare to see a recovered Partition with even a slight bulge in the rear core, and I have yet to find one where the rear core punched through the partition, but have seen that with the occasional A-Frame.

Both are great bullets, but the A-Frame cannot be simply termed an "improved" Partition, because of the several other differences, especially in materials and jacket thickness. Partitions work in other ways that affect both penetration and wound channel, far more than merely bonding the front core. I know this because I've tested a bunch of both in various kinds of media, including animals.

John, I have seen the Aframe pancake on am elk shoulder ND fail to reach the opposite shoulder. This happened to a friend and the recovered bullet was nearly the diameter of a quarter, but only an 1/8 inch or less tall. This was a 200gr 30 cal slug.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Meanwhile, back at the elk topic...I guess I am less inclined to worry about all the nuances of one bullet over another. I have killed a bunch of elk with a Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt bullet and there are lots of people badmouth that bullet.

I still have hundreds of rounds loaded with that bullet and you won't be seeing me throw them out anytime soon...

I Would not lose any sleep about using them up on game.

Page 28 of 70 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.