-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 33 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 32 33
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul, when you see Kent please tell him that when the dust settled in the kitchen this morning, the final count was 4 dozen green chile burritos and two fruit cobblers--one peach and one cherry. Thanks!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't get out there with my daughter until Saturday afternoon. If we stay through Sunday, will there be much going on or will everything be winding down beginning Sunday morning? I'm trying to determine if it's worth the drive for just half of Saturday and just one night. I could potentially stay Sunday night, but it doesn't sound like anyone will be left by then.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
OK Guys and Gals - when we try to set up these organized shoots in first class form, thy can gobble up quite a bit of time/energy and sometimes we need to revise. So, here is the latest and (we hope) final poop sheet on the shooting events.

ARMIJO SPRINGS, NEW MEXICO SUMMER 2016 CAMPFIRE GATHERING

Organized Shoot Events – REVISED/ADDED INFORMATION

Friday 3:30 pm – Turkey Rimfire Tune-up Shoot (revised start time)
Shooters may use any rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens sights) from any hunting position, but not from a bench or stationary rest. Sitting, prone, free-standing shooting sticks, tripod, etc. are OK. Once at the firing line, total time allowed is 4 minutes. Target will be a reduced-size picture of a turkey at approximately 30 yards, with a colored dot at a vital place. Smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot scores highest. There may be second and third place winners.

FRIDAY EVENING COMPETITION SHOOT (revised start time)
6:00 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot

(Note: because the challenge level for this shoot rises significantly with wind effects, we planned to take advantage of the normal wind “die down” toward sunset – but recently the breezes have continued until after dark. So, the start time has been moved later with some hope – and some wind flags.)

Shooters may use any .22 Rimfire sporting rifle, any sights and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire five shots at an appropriately sized orange circle at a distance of approximately 150 yards. The shooter firing the smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the orange circle scores highest. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

SATURDAY COMPETITION SHOOTS
8:30 am - Prairie Dog Shoot (revised start time)

Shooters may use any sporting firearm, any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 3 minutes. Shooters will fire one shot from a cold barrel at a simulated PD with 1/2" dot on chest at a distance of approximately 200 yards. Shot closest to the center of the dot is the winner. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

10:30 am (or as soon thereafter as possible) – Steel Shoot
This will be a 6 SHOT match where multiple steel targets of different sizes and at different ranges will be engaged. Scoring is based on the color of the targets. There will be three colors worth 10, 8 and 5 points. Highest point total wins. Match must be shot from a field position (no bench rest). Bags, shooting sticks, bipods, tall tripods are allowed. Adjustable tripod style front bench rests are not allowed. Rifle can be any caliber but is limited to a case capacity similar to a 30-06 (to save the steel). No AP bullets allowed. Rifle must be a sporting rifle, not a match rifle. No sight restrictions. Total time allowed once at the firing line is 6 minutes.

1:00 pm - Dangerous Game Shoot (revised yardage)
This match will involve a moving target at less than 75 yards. There will be a total of 3 shots available. Rifle must be a legitimate dangerous game type rifle. Minimum caliber is 9.3mm. Minimum energy is 3600 lbs-ft. (9.3x62 full power loads) No reduced loads in larger calibers. Shooters must use open or aperture sights - no scopes. Action can be bolt, double or single shot. No lever actions. 45-70s, 405 Winchesters do not qualify. This is a work in progress and will be tweaked as we set up the range.

KEN HOWELL REMEMBRANCE

Ken always did his best to visit us during these summer gatherings, at least for an afternoon or so. It seems fitting, due to his recent passing, that we do something special this summer in remembrance. Following on a great suggestion by one of our loyal and long-distance participants, you are encouraged to bring any Howell rifle – chambered in one of his cartridges and/or one of his many gifts to Campfire folks – to show and share for shooting by others. Bring ammo too. At a later time we will announce just when during the weekend this activity will be featured.

NOTE REGARDING ANY TOP PRIZE AWARDS
We hope to be able to award some significant first prizes for the competition shoots. Of course, ALL attendees are welcomed and encouraged to shoot for score and recognition – but award of any actual prizes for the top performer in any competitive shoot will be limited to persons, or family members of persons, who are registered and participating members of the Campfire at the time of this posting (early evening, July 11, 2016)

Whilst I am thoroughly enjoying my time here at the north Idaho property this summer I am missing the above, Kent's cooking and all the rest is killing me. Have safe fun gentlemen.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If anyone happens by a sports goods store, I could use a box or two of Sierra .224 Matchking 77gr HPBT - #9377GT. Will trade for 75gr AMAX if interested.

See you 'birds tomorrow morning -

Last edited by DARBY; 07/13/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are sitting at a .gov roadblock on U S 380 between Carrizzozo and I 25. The Clintons must be having a sale on our nuclear secrets at Alamogordo.

They must think we enjoy traveling in triple digit temps since we did it all day yesterday so they will keep us here until it warms up more.

They claim we will be better off waiting here for the blockade to lift than to backtrack and find an alternate route. Te guys here are contract rather than .gov employees so I'm more inclined to believe them.

It will be tempting to just keep going North up to I 40 and head back home if and when they lift the block. This has become a trip to hell with the heat, headwind, constant upgrade keeping my temp gauge waaay higher than I've ever seen.

and two disgruntled ladies.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by curdog4570
We are sitting at a .gov roadblock on U S 380 between Carrizzozo and I 25. The Clintons must be having a sale on our nuclear secrets at Alamogordo.

They must think we enjoy traveling in triple digit temps since we did it all day yesterday so they will keep us here until it warms up more.

They claim we will be better off waiting here for the blockade to lift than to backtrack and find an alternate route. Te guys here are contract rather than .gov employees so I'm more inclined to believe them.

It will be tempting to just keep going North up to I 40 and head back home if and when they lift the block. This has become a trip to hell with the heat, headwind, constant upgrade keeping my temp gauge waaay higher than I've ever seen.

and two disgruntled ladies.

I recommend a green chili cheeseburger at the buckhorn for lunch!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
jmgraham1986
Assume that is in San Antonio.
Hard to believe they are still famous for that.

Curdog4570
Roadblock there you may want to watch to the WNW an see if you see a big metal tube flying away from you or coming at ya!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
yup.

Hey Paul, does Dennis need me to bring my machine??

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wish I was there!

Maybe next year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As usual, my memory seems somewhat less than perfect.

When I left the gathering this afternoon, my newish/used Stoeger/Uberti Model 1873 .45 Colt carbine clone did not make it into the car.

I think I left it on one of the picnic tables, in a Sports Afield canvas case.

If anyone is passing through my area -- Route 14 north of Route 40 east of Albuquerque -- or otherwise through Albuquerque or Santa Fe, could they drop it off at some mutually convenient place and time? Maybe Jon if still at Kirtland AFB??

You can reach me at solberggaiben.com or 505-239-4526. My address is 11 Tewa Court, Sandia Park, NM in the so-called Paa-Ko residential community there.

As expected, it was very good for me to return, since my 17YO son forgot to do all the simple list of chores I had left him, including feeding the four dogs. He could remember soccer practice, of course, but not taking out the trash for the weekly pickup!

Last edited by Anjin; 07/15/16.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should add that the food was delicious! I would have had more, but I was so busy listening and talking with so many folks.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Norm, you left it on the tailgate of my white truck. It is enroute Albuquerque with Mark Shubert.

Nice rifle cool

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I made it home about 12:30 AM. Had to dodge elk most of the way! Had a great time. Wish I could have stayed longer. Someone needs to get a few pics up.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,waiting on the pics and BS....ummmm.....stories.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Me too!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We had 50 people this year. We had a LOT of shooters too. Me made a lot of smoke!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for a great time. It was great to meet everyone. My daughter and I look forward to next year. Sorry my apple cobbler didn't turn out - maybe next year.

Also, when we were about to leave, my daughter asked me a question: "Daddy, do men with white beards and mustaches like to go camping?" I said: "Yes indeed."

- Kevin

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
We start Friday's meal with the pledge of allegiance and a prayer/blessing... if that offends anyone tough chit...

I especially want to thank the women and kids that make this event well rounded.

Another great time and goodbyes with heartfelt, 'see ya later'... damn good friends.

See ya later.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
It was hot and dry but finally hit some rain on the way home today...

[Linked Image]

Page 25 of 33 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.