Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What do I have to understand to be able to observe a higher percentage of undisciplined children?

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All things aside, until they can prove that the parents did not have an active role in the kid being in there, there's no reason to really get into the blame game from a perspective of oversight.

I have seen too many douchenozzle sperm donors and baby factories that would hold a kid over the enclosure for whatever dumbass reason.

Prove to me that the 3 year old climbed all that stuff and fell down into that enclosure on his own, and we can start debating parental monitoring.

I'll put a 40 on the boy having 'help', likely not malicious, on getting into the ape house.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's what a zookeeper who has spent a large part of her career working with gorillas has to say

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1203379586363094&id=100000731932790

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of the "chit happens with kids" factor, at the end of the day, the parents are responsible for their child. This type of event is extraordinarily rare and there's a reason for that. To have such a thing happen takes gross negligence.

When I took my kids to the zoo I NEVER took my eyes off of them. Not because I was worried about them doing something like that, but because I'm always looking out for two legged threats. I don't let my kids run around in a crowd of people I don't know without me being within a few feet at all times.

I don't know what the reason was, but it was a screw up. So glad the kid survived. Seriously sucks they had to put the Gorilla down, but they 100% made the right call.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
What do I have to understand to be able to observe a higher percentage of undisciplined children?

Oh the memories.....
I would not argue the highlighted portion, but children are also just that:CHILDREN. Their mental abilities are lacking. As a parent you live and breath it 24/7. You never know what the best of them will do at any given moment.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

For starteRs a child's reasoning when they get excited

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
You never know what the best of them will do at any given moment.

Like put the truck in drive before I completely get in the passenger seat?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Oh the memories.....
I would not argue the highlighted portion, but children are also just that:CHILDREN. Their mental abilities are lacking. As a parent you live and breath it 24/7. You never know what the best of them will do at any given moment.

That's why parents have to be on top of them and their behavior. Has the DNA of human children changed so much over my lifetime that they're now an inherently more difficult to manage animal? I'm talking about the change, not about the basic fact that children need minding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Why not just make the third barrier an electric fence with 3 wires? Problem solved.

They had to kill the beast. I have no problem with that.

If the enclosure can keep an adult gorilla in it should be sufficient to keep people out???????

Obviously that's not the case

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Has that changed over my lifetime?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Snyper
Why not just make the third barrier an electric fence with 3 wires? Problem solved.

If the enclosure can keep an adult gorilla in it should be sufficient to keep people out???????

Actually that's exactly what the zookeeper in the article I linked states. That zoos need to rethink the safety barriers of their looking areas

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If your three year old yanks the family truckster into gear and it rolls down the street into another car, the parents insurance is liable for the damages. Now beings the kid's actions caused the gorillas death are the parents not liable for the "Replacement cost" of the gorilla.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That zoos need to rethink the safety barriers of their looking areas

If the animals were mounted they would present less problems.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

Has that changed over my lifetime?

Directly, probably not. What has changed is the societal view of what is appropriate in parenting, and (as el can be seen in this very thread) that everyone is a better parent than the next person even those that done have kids...thus if you feel that I'm being to strict and controlling of.my child and don't like it you call the cops and authorities who come and Make a scene all because you don't know how to.kind your own business

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Kid 2 isn't ready to stand still for a minute without a leash then he isn't ready to be out in public without one on one supervision. Whose responsibility is that?

lol

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
If your three year old yanks the family truckster into gear and it rolls down the street into another car, the parents insurance is liable for the damages. Now beings the kid's actions caused the gorillas death are the parents not liable for the "Replacement cost" of the gorilla.....

Probably not, because the zoo did not have a a barrier sufficient to prevent a child from entering the enclosure

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

No, and that makes no difference either.

Sure it does.

Because if you had kids you'd recall one or two "oh schit" moments when they disappeared on your ass.

It happens to the best of parents.

Dave

If one doesn't have them then one can't understand. wink

A kid screwed up, a gorilla was killed because of it. The world kept right on churning round and round.

Similar fallacy: Since I'm not a tenor in a professional opera company I can't say Roseanne's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner was bad.

The only "fallacy" I see is you thinking one can watch their kids every second of every day and nothing unexpected will ever happen.

Your ignorance is based on the fact you have absolutely no experience to go on.

You're just making up your fantasy version of how things "should be"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some observations:

1 - a few years ago a child got into an enclosure with a female gorilla. She held the child and eventually walked it over to the paramedics and handed it to them. Clearly a maternal instinct and this here gorilla deserved the benefit of the doubt, at least initially, and he received that. By some reports, he too, was very nurturing to his brothers and sisters, but probably never nurtured one that was as small as this child. He just didn't know what to do. They had to save the child, but the gorilla did nothing wrong. A real shame.

2 - When some combat rifles were designed, they handed them to young teens, without any explanation of how to operate the weapon. "Here, make this fire." They did that to simulate an adult under stress of incoming rounds, etc. If a 14 year old can make the gun fire in XXX seconds, then the adult under stress can do it in XXX seconds. So, when designing these enclosures, does anyone look at it like a 4 year old? I've asked for advice on these forums and I write, "explain it to me like I'm a 4 year old." Slow it down, be specific. Same here. Design the enclosure like a 4 year old is trying to get in. Or out for that matter.

3 - Children - My wife and I took the children camping this weekend in Lancaster. We have good kids, but they argue sometimes, in public. They're old enough to know better, but still run and tease in the store. Youngest is 10. My wife observed how the Amish children don't carry on like that. We see it as kids being kids, but there's no nonsense with the young Amish children. They play, buy they aren't arguing, running around stores, etc. It's just not accepted in that culture.

I will also say this. Kids can get away from parents, but when you are in a zoo, or in a park, near water, highways, anywhere that a child can get into serious trouble quickly, the parent radar should be on high alert. These venues are not meant to be relaxing trips for the parents. We're going to Disney again - a total stress fest. Parents can vacation when the kids go to college. My wife can finally relax at the beach, because our youngest is 10. That's life.

Last edited by Joseywales; 05/31/16.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You just can't[or won't] ever understand. There is nothing wrong with it, you just cannot understand.
I'm not saying that a certain percentage of parents these days do most anything but parenting, but unless you've 'been there done that' you really just won't understand.
I've been there three times, and no, I cannot understand any parent letting their kid fall into a gorilla enclosure unless a terrorist attack, massive earthquake, or meteor strike was in progress. Come to think of it, not then either.

For the most part, people just don't parent anymore. It's a dying art that progresses right along with the dying culture.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper

Actually that's exactly what the zookeeper in the article I linked states. That zoos need to rethink the safety barriers of their looking areas

What keeps the gorillas in is the 15 foot vertical concrete wall.

What keeps (or should keep) people out is a different system altogether. That's the one that needs modification. In this instance it was a 3 foot fence and some bushes

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.