Page 9 of 42 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 41 42
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by antlers
It's unfortunate, in most instances, that the movement sparked by Jesus’ resurrection has become what it has. In the early years, the followers of Jesus simply gathered together as a dedicated group to learn more about, worship, and carry on the truth of Jesus. But over time, dramatic shifts in emphasis and direction have occurred and these 'gatherings' have become legalistic, hierarchical, ritualized, and politicized institutions.

I agree. I would go to church if I found one like that.

Scott,

There's a few groups like that around here. One such group met at one of our former neighbors house, but as the gathering grew, parking became an issue and the HOA started to make a stink about it. It's for these reasons, that at a certain size, a dedicated spaces is needed, and that cost money. This introduces a church bureaucracy, and all that entails, and the small simple group you joined is no more.

Yep.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
AS, My faith doesn't need proof, that's why it's faith. I'm fine not giving you "proof" since I already believe. You, however, in absence of faith can't prove that God doesn't exist. I acknowledge that my beliefs are based on faith, you believe your beliefs are based on facts yet you offer no proof or evidence to support those facts. Since you fancy yourself smarter than Christians prove that God doesn't exist. I don't have to prove he does because I've seen him and his work in my life, therefore I choose to believe. Go ahead prove God does not exist. After you're done chasing your tail prove that Jesus didn't exist and wasn't the son of God. I have faith; faith that the sun will rise and faith that Jesus was sent for all of us. Even those that CHOOSE not to believe.

Belief without evidence. That's called gullibility. Your is a common tactic for theist. Offer no evidence, don't tell anyone what you belive, nor why you believe it, and shift the burden of proof. Once you've done that, next you endless move the goal posts which is why most Theist won't even define their God to start this discussion. If you wish me to disprove your theistic claims, we must first establish which version of the supernatural we are discussing:

AS, you are again descending to your tired and useless tactics. Either you do not understand "faith" or you refuse to deal with even its most basic nature. Of course, you are free to call it "gullibility", but many excellent and erudite folks understand and apply faith as a lofty and sublime factor - entirely different from the gullibility you profess. No one is trying to shift a "burden" for there is no burden to shift. That is one of the fascinating and sublime facets of faith.

The above gentleman did not deride you in religious terms or ask or express a wish for you to disprove any particular theistic claims. He merely observed the differences between the bases for his position and the bases you express for yours, and he did not claim to prove anything. He acknowledged that he has no burden - therfore there is none to be shifted. He simply invited you to "go ahead" and prove your position on the basis of what you claim to hold. He is not arguing - he has told you to go ahead and argue if you wish.

Faith in an omniscient/omnipotent/everlasting God is a huge and powerful thing - it changes certain lives in ways beyond simple description. If a person does not understand or exercise that, discussions such as this can be be difficult, frustrating and even futile.

Even that is not justification for sleazy tactics.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
AS, My faith doesn't need proof, that's why it's faith. I'm fine not giving you "proof" since I already believe. You, however, in absence of faith can't prove that God doesn't exist. I acknowledge that my beliefs are based on faith, you believe your beliefs are based on facts yet you offer no proof or evidence to support those facts. Since you fancy yourself smarter than Christians prove that God doesn't exist. I don't have to prove he does because I've seen him and his work in my life, therefore I choose to believe.

Go ahead prove God does not exist. After you're done chasing your tail prove that Jesus didn't exist and wasn't the son of God.

I have faith; faith that the sun will rise and faith that Jesus was sent for all of us. Even those that CHOOSE not to believe.

Belief without evidence. That's called gullibility. Your is a common tactic for theist. Offer no evidence, don't tell anyone what you belive, nor why you believe it, and shift the burden of proof. Once you've done that, next you endless move the goal posts which is why most Theist won't even define their God to start this discussion.

If you wish me to disprove your theistic claims, we must first establish which version of the supernatural we are discussing:

Remember this:

[Linked Image]

Can you define your God?

uh, oh no. no way in this world to fully define god. even the ancient hebrews, very close to moses, and the others can do that. it's impossible. but god is a "metaphor" for the reality in which we find ourselves. just remember, we don't know from whence we came, where we are, not where we are headed next. but, we're doing our best to make sense of where we are at this moment. can we agree on that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
You're the only one who can't prove your claim.

Many keep saying "the evidence is everywhere" but oddly they can't seem to show it to anyone else.
He's proved it to himself.So have I and billions of others as well. And there is nothing odd in not being able to prove anything to anyone whose mind simply will not believe.Sad, yes, but not odd.

You can't "prove it to yourself"
That's just psychobabble that ignores reality

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Preview of what the US would look like if the religious right ever got the power they seek...

The Christian right would only want to be left to their own.

As in "mind your own business"?
Where have we heard that before.

The "christian right" is as oppressive as the Saudis in many ways, but they won't admit it to themselves.

BS.

No, it's really not.
They would be if they could get away with it, but they can't.

I'm raising the Bull $hit flag too. I'm a believer but its not my place to push my beliefs on anyone and I don't know anyone outside the Baptist Church who does either, lol...

Last edited by seal_billy; 09/11/16.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My best friend doesn't believe in god. but believes in ghosts. He doesn't try to prove to me that ghosts exist and I don't try to prove to him that nothing exists.

We do come up with some good one liners about religion that get a "You two shut the f u c k up!" from his wife.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
AS, My faith doesn't need proof, that's why it's faith. I'm fine not giving you "proof" since I already believe. You, however, in absence of faith can't prove that God doesn't exist. I acknowledge that my beliefs are based on faith, you believe your beliefs are based on facts yet you offer no proof or evidence to support those facts. Since you fancy yourself smarter than Christians prove that God doesn't exist. I don't have to prove he does because I've seen him and his work in my life, therefore I choose to believe.

Go ahead prove God does not exist. After you're done chasing your tail prove that Jesus didn't exist and wasn't the son of God.

I have faith; faith that the sun will rise and faith that Jesus was sent for all of us. Even those that CHOOSE not to believe.

Belief without evidence. That's called gullibility. Your is a common tactic for theist. Offer no evidence, don't tell anyone what you belive, nor why you believe it, and shift the burden of proof. Once you've done that, next you endless move the goal posts which is why most Theist won't even define their God to start this discussion.

If you wish me to disprove your theistic claims, we must first establish which version of the supernatural we are discussing:

Remember this:

[Linked Image]

Can you define your God?

uh, oh no. no way in this world to fully define god. even the ancient hebrews, very close to moses, and the others can do that. it's impossible. but god is a "metaphor" for the reality in which we find ourselves. just remember, we don't know from whence we came, where we are, not where we are headed next. but, we're doing our best to make sense of where we are at this moment. can we agree on that?

Than instead of saying "God", why not just say, "We don't know." Why the need to substitute a supernatural being in the place of "I don't know"?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by doover72
My best friend doesn't believe in god. but believes in ghosts. He doesn't try to prove to me that ghosts exist and I don't try to prove to him that nothing exists.

We do come up with some good one liners about religion that get a "You two shut the f u c k up!" from his wife.

Just because someone's right on one subject doesn't mean they are not totally wrong on another. Look at all the atheist who are Marxist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I'm raising the Bull $hit flag too. I'm a believer but its not my place to push my beliefs on anyone and I don't know anyone outside the Baptist Church who does either, lol...

I guess you've never met a Pentecostal, nor any of the Millerites, i.e. Jehovah witness, 7th day Adventist etc.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
AS, My faith doesn't need proof, that's why it's faith. I'm fine not giving you "proof" since I already believe. You, however, in absence of faith can't prove that God doesn't exist. I acknowledge that my beliefs are based on faith, you believe your beliefs are based on facts yet you offer no proof or evidence to support those facts. Since you fancy yourself smarter than Christians prove that God doesn't exist. I don't have to prove he does because I've seen him and his work in my life, therefore I choose to believe. Go ahead prove God does not exist. After you're done chasing your tail prove that Jesus didn't exist and wasn't the son of God. I have faith; faith that the sun will rise and faith that Jesus was sent for all of us. Even those that CHOOSE not to believe.

Belief without evidence. That's called gullibility. Your is a common tactic for theist. Offer no evidence, don't tell anyone what you belive, nor why you believe it, and shift the burden of proof. Once you've done that, next you endless move the goal posts which is why most Theist won't even define their God to start this discussion. If you wish me to disprove your theistic claims, we must first establish which version of the supernatural we are discussing:

AS, you are again descending to your tired and useless tactics. Either you do not understand "faith" or you refuse to deal with even its most basic nature. Of course, you are free to call it "gullibility", but many excellent and erudite folks understand and apply faith as a lofty and sublime factor - entirely different from the gullibility you profess. No one is trying to shift a "burden" for there is no burden to shift. That is one of the fascinating and sublime facets of faith.

The above gentleman did not deride you in religious terms or ask or express a wish for you to disprove any particular theistic claims. He merely observed the differences between the bases for his position and the bases you express for yours, and he did not claim to prove anything. He acknowledged that he has no burden - therfore there is none to be shifted. He simply invited you to "go ahead" and prove your position on the basis of what you claim to hold. He is not arguing - he has told you to go ahead and argue if you wish.

Faith in an omniscient/omnipotent/everlasting God is a huge and powerful thing - it changes certain lives in ways beyond simple description. If a person does not understand or exercise that, discussions such as this can be be difficult, frustrating and even futile.

Even that is not justification for sleazy tactics.

CCCC,

I'm well aware of the implications of Faith. Faith is a believe held despite a lack of evidence, or in the face of evidence to the contrary. Gullibility is "related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence."

As for how you belief has affected your life, what I care about is, is this belief true, or is something else, such as a placebo effect, or positive selection bias at work.

As for who has the burden, Ace made the postive claim, (God exist), so he has the burden. Anyone who understand the example of Rustles Tea Pot knows why this is the case. I would expect a man of your education to be well aware of this, so again, as is the case with most apologist, it is you skirting the issue.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
God isn't punishing anyone by sending them to Hell. Hell is already your destination. God is only offering you a way out of Hell.

Who created Hell and the rule that everyone who does not believe in him goes there?

If any of this was true, and there's no good reason to believe it is, your god would be responsible for this unjust system and every soul destined to Hell. Of course this is all because a woman created out of a rib stole a piece of fruit before being imbued with the knowledge of right and wrong.

So if you believe in original sin, do you believe Adam and Eve were literal historical people?

The Bible itself says that Hell was created for the devil and his angles.

Yes, I believe Adam and Eve were actual people. As to original sin,I do not believe that a baby or anyone not beyond a certain age would go to Hell if they died. Whatever age that is would be just when God decided that person was accountable. I believe that people Go to Hell for their own sins,no original sin needed. What I think happened when Adam sinned was that men inherited the propensity for sin. There's no one that hasn't sinned. By sin and rebellion a person ally's themselves to Satan and thus to his punishment.

So, you believe Adam and Eve were real people, but the story of Original Sin is figurative, and not literal. When creating Man, God created them in his own image, but in doing so, made them the natural ally of Satan?

Is that an accurate summary of your position?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I guess you've never met a Pentecostal, nor any of the Millerites, i.e. Jehovah witness, 7th day Adventist etc.

He knows me and I am what you might refer to a Pentecost, as in a Spirit filled Christian. smile

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

He knows me and I am what you might refer to a Pentecost, as in a Spirit filled Christian. smile

Scott, your not like any of the Church going, born again, evangelical Pentecostals I've know. But, than again, there's a couple of reasons for that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I might call it sanity but some here who know me well might argue wit me. grin

I ana Spirit filled tongues speaking kind of guy i just usually keep it to myself. There is a time and a place for most everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any HONEST scientist, when confronted with a Creation - all that there is - would either adopt a default position of SOMETHING or SOMEONE must have started this and thus deserves to be called God, or........

He would readily see that since the "Creation moment", by its nature, can never be observed or duplicated and thus is not a fit subject for Science.

Only an arrogant, ego driven Humanist would argue that there simply MUST be an explanation for Creation other than a Creator even though that explanation DOES NOT EXIST.

Antelope Sniper finds it more to his liking to shoot holes in posts submitted by the Biblialators than to respond to posts such as mine. He knows that if he continues a dialogue with me that he will finally have to admit to some sort of "first cause" for all that there is,ie Creation, but he can't refer to that "first cause" as "God".[we have come to that point before, you see]

It's scary to consider that the "first cause" might take a personal interest in him, but not be impressed by his intellect.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
God isn't punishing anyone by sending them to Hell. Hell is already your destination. God is only offering you a way out of Hell.

Who created Hell and the rule that everyone who does not believe in him goes there?

If any of this was true, and there's no good reason to believe it is, your god would be responsible for this unjust system and every soul destined to Hell. Of course this is all because a woman created out of a rib stole a piece of fruit before being imbued with the knowledge of right and wrong.

So if you believe in original sin, do you believe Adam and Eve were literal historical people?

The Bible itself says that Hell was created for the devil and his angles.

Yes, I believe Adam and Eve were actual people. As to original sin,I do not believe that a baby or anyone not beyond a certain age would go to Hell if they died. Whatever age that is would be just when God decided that person was accountable. I believe that people Go to Hell for their own sins,no original sin needed. What I think happened when Adam sinned was that men inherited the propensity for sin. There's no one that hasn't sinned. By sin and rebellion a person ally's themselves to Satan and thus to his punishment.

So, you believe Adam and Eve were real people, but the story of Original Sin is figurative, and not literal. When creating Man, God created them in his own image, but in doing so, made them the natural ally of Satan?

Is that an accurate summary of your position?

No that's not accurate at all. I thought you had read the Bible. God didn't make man an ally of Satan. Man did that himself when he decided to obey Satan rather than God.

What I think about original is too much to discuss in this format.If you say that original sin means we are all born as sinners destined to Hell then I don't exactly believe that with a slight distinction. To say we are all born to Hell would mean that innocent children would suffer Hell without being saved. I do not believe that.

What I do believe is that because of Adam's sin we are all born with the propensity for sin. We will all sin,and whenever we reach an age of accountability,or you could say the age that our choice to sin becomes our own, then that sin has destined us to Hell.

No one can enter Heaven who has committed sin. Jesus is the only man never to have committed sin.Jesus having been born of God's word and not by the seed of Adam ,did not have that propensity for sin as do natural born men.

The only way to enter Heaven is in Jesus. To be saved is to be married to Jesus, to become one with him. When a person is one with Jesus the attributes and nature of Jesus is bestowed upon the person who is one with him.

I hope that makes sense. I tried not to use words the Christian completely understands but the unsaved may not,like redeemed and justified,made righteous.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Any HONEST scientist, when confronted with a Creation - all that there is - would either adopt a default position of SOMETHING or SOMEONE must have started this and thus deserves to be called God, or........

He would readily see that since the "Creation moment", by its nature, can never be observed or duplicated and thus is not a fit subject for Science.

Only an arrogant, ego driven Humanist would argue that there simply MUST be an explanation for Creation other than a Creator even though that explanation DOES NOT EXIST.

Antelope Sniper finds it more to his liking to shoot holes in posts submitted by the Biblialators than to respond to posts such as mine. He knows that if he continues a dialogue with me that he will finally have to admit to some sort of "first cause" for all that there is,ie Creation, but he can't refer to that "first cause" as "God".[we have come to that point before, you see]

It's scary to consider that the "first cause" might take a personal interest in him, but not be impressed by his intellect.

The idea of an intelligent, universe-creating god "just existing" is far more difficult to explain than the universe itself "just existing". Intelligence is one of the most complex things we are aware of in the universe. To assume the existence of a being who is so intelligent that it can design an entire universe, as well as micromanage the personal lives of billions of people on earth through prayer, would require an enormous amount of explanation, which you have not offered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The idea of an intelligent, universe-creating god "just existing" is far more difficult to explain than the universe itself "just existing".

lol

So the universe and intelligent life can 'just exist', but a divine awareness who created all of it could not...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The idea of an intelligent, universe-creating god "just existing" is far more difficult to explain than the universe itself "just existing".

No...... it is not. In fact, your statement borders on being ridiculous.

Neither proposition is understandable. Both are beyond our comprehension.

But..... if I accept the first proposition on faith, the second is explained. The reverse is not true.

A "just existing" universe raises more questions than it answers and does not even merit consideration.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers

lol

So the universe and intelligent life can 'just exist', but a divine awareness who created all of it could not...?

Which is more complex, the Universe or the entity you propose to have created it?

Page 9 of 42 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 41 42

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,967
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.