Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 42 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 41 42
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
To think you can understand everything God thinks and/or does is a little arrogant, and wrong.

Isaiah 55:8-9King James Version (KJV)

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

It's all true. You can't pick and choose.

That's YOUR belief, It is not a requirement to be a Christian.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
To think you can understand everything God thinks and/or does is a little arrogant, and wrong.

Isaiah 55:8-9King James Version (KJV)

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

It's all true. You can't pick and choose.

I agree that we don't know all of God,if we did he wouldn't be God. i do want to point out however that the verses you refer to don't just say that God is smarter than us. Read before and after those verses and you will see that God is saying for us to forsake our ways because his ways are better and that he will send us his word to show us his ways.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
R_H_Clark,

We have to stand and give voice to what is right and what is wrong. We have to use the authority and ability God gave us.

Would this include running for public office?

One would hope so.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I Cor 2:9

New International Version
However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him--

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,

You are correct. As I have posted here previously when I was a fairly new Christian I used to ask people almost everywhere I went if they were a Christian. The vast majority said, “Yes.”

Then one day, to make conversation, I asked how long he had been born again. He didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.
So I started asking people what it takes to be a Christian. There was a world of answers. You need to know only the actual born again Christians will be with Jesus.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
antelope_sniper,

The idea of an intelligent, universe-creating god "just existing" is far more difficult to explain than the universe itself "just existing".

Certainly you accept entropy. If the universe is "just existing" the available energy would have totally dissipated into unusable entropy an eternity ago.

An Infinite Intelligent Energy Being would be just that: Infinite. By faith you choose to believe what you believe contrary to established scientific observations.

I'm well aware of the effects of entropy on this universe and how current scientific models predict it will end in "The Big Chill". There is nothing in this model contrary to the current scientific observations. It really would be beneficial to you if you started getting your science from real scientist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
antelope_sniper,

The idea of an intelligent, universe-creating god "just existing" is far more difficult to explain than the universe itself "just existing".

Certainly you accept entropy. If the universe is "just existing" the available energy would have totally dissipated into unusable entropy an eternity ago.

An Infinite Intelligent Energy Being would be just that: Infinite. By faith you choose to believe what you believe contrary to established scientific observations.

I'm well aware of the effects of entropy on this universe and how current scientific models predict it will end in "The Big Chill". There is nothing in this model contrary to the current scientific observations. It really would be beneficial to you if you started getting your science from real scientist.

I guess you didn't get the part about infinity. If it was infinitely old it would have already reached "The Big Chill" as you call it.

It is interesting that "real scientists" are those you agree with. God tells us the earth started out cool and will end hot. Your "real scientists" tell us the earth started out hot and will end cold.

Everyday Hunter
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Parts of the bible that paint a picture of God which are contrary to what a man knows God's nature to be should be counted of no worth to him.

Of course, if a man is hung up on theology, he will try to make ALL of it fit God's nature which requires all sorts of mental contortions.

An alternative way to look at it might be that we in our nature as men hold preconceived notions of who God is or who He "ought" to be, and need a revelation outside our heads that helps us see Him as He truly is.

Perhaps it isn't that some are merely "hung up on theology" but that they know THEMSELVES too well to believe they can be trusted with deciding who God is or is not... For themselves even?

Just another way to come at this.

Personally I have no doubt that a God who can create the universe (in whatever fashion and over whatever time frame He chose to do it) and who can make right this mess of a world can also sustain a reliable written account of who He is and what He is doing in History (His story). I am sure that it all fits; I am also sure that my perspective is not broad enough for it to "make sense" to me so an awful lot is still shrouded in mystery. That helps keep me humble. I REALLY need that.

Besides... who could worship a God they could understand? Not me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah, let's get our facts from scientists, the same bunch of clowns that brought us global warming. Great idea.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Any HONEST scientist, when confronted with a Creation - all that there is - would either adopt a default position of SOMETHING or SOMEONE must have started this and thus deserves to be called God, or........

He would readily see that since the "Creation moment", by its nature, can never be observed or duplicated and thus is not a fit subject for Science.

Only an arrogant, ego driven Humanist would argue that there simply MUST be an explanation for Creation other than a Creator even though that explanation DOES NOT EXIST.

Antelope Sniper finds it more to his liking to shoot holes in posts submitted by the Biblialators than to respond to posts such as mine. He knows that if he continues a dialogue with me that he will finally have to admit to some sort of "first cause" for all that there is,ie Creation, but he can't refer to that "first cause" as "God".[we have come to that point before, you see]

It's scary to consider that the "first cause" might take a personal interest in him, but not be impressed by his intellect.

No. I just don't feel the need to substitute a supernatural being in the place of "We don't know." Whether or not I have an alternative is of no relevance to the truth of your explanation. Your hypothesis must rise or fall upon it's own evidence, for which you have none. All you've presented is the "Cosmological Argument" which has changed little since it was presented by Thomas Aquinas in the 13th Century. It still suffers from the same logical problems now, that is did 700 years ago, an infinite regress, (where did God come from), follow by special pleading (God's exempt from the rule that everything needs a cause), it's parsimonious (as I was alluding to before, something so complex it requires a creator that is even more complex, but doesn't itself require one), and none of the a-priori arguments can be established as fact.

In addition it now has further problems since science has discovered that some events on a quantum level can occur without a cause. Add in Larry Krauss's Hypothesis (it has not graduated to the level of a scientific theory) for a universe from nothing, and the Cosmological Argument is weaker than ever, and not sufficient evidence to believe in your god.

Even if you could establish as a fact the Universe was created by a supernatural being, you would still have all your work ahead of you demonstrating it was YOUR supernatural being, an not one from some-other belief system, perhaps even one that would send you straight to their version of Hell.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
AS, My faith doesn't need proof, that's why it's faith. I'm fine not giving you "proof" since I already believe. You, however, in absence of faith can't prove that God doesn't exist. I acknowledge that my beliefs are based on faith, you believe your beliefs are based on facts yet you offer no proof or evidence to support those facts. Since you fancy yourself smarter than Christians prove that God doesn't exist. I don't have to prove he does because I've seen him and his work in my life, therefore I choose to believe.

Go ahead prove God does not exist. After you're done chasing your tail prove that Jesus didn't exist and wasn't the son of God.

I have faith; faith that the sun will rise and faith that Jesus was sent for all of us. Even those that CHOOSE not to believe.

Belief without evidence. That's called gullibility. Your is a common tactic for theist. Offer no evidence, don't tell anyone what you belive, nor why you believe it, and shift the burden of proof. Once you've done that, next you endless move the goal posts which is why most Theist won't even define their God to start this discussion.

If you wish me to disprove your theistic claims, we must first establish which version of the supernatural we are discussing:

Remember this:

[Linked Image]

Can you define your God?

uh, oh no. no way in this world to fully define god. even the ancient hebrews, very close to moses, and the others can do that. it's impossible. but god is a "metaphor" for the reality in which we find ourselves. just remember, we don't know from whence we came, where we are, not where we are headed next. but, we're doing our best to make sense of where we are at this moment. can we agree on that?

Than instead of saying "God", why not just say, "We don't know." Why the need to substitute a supernatural being in the place of "I don't know"?

thanks, Antelope Sniper for leading us through the discussions related to the ins and outs of our religious beliefs.

we don't know is the best answer available to us at the moment, and for the last 10,000 years more or less. it's the best horse in the stable at the moment.

for all i know when the space aliens visited earth, the locals thought they were all Gods because of their advanced technology (and power), compared to humankind, even the kings of the tribes. little could the locals imagine these were folks just like them, come to help advance the human species.

but, there's a dilemma in that analysis. that the space aliens came to visit while possibly true, would posit the question "who created the space aliens?" that would remove us at least one step further away from God, wouldn't it? so, no matter how appealing to me that we were seeded here by extraterrestrials, who in the world created them?

Gus,

Why would it be necessary to assume it was a "Who", and not a how? When you pick a rounded pebble from a stream it is not the product of an intelligent mind, but natural processes.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Oftentimes, the reason a person is wrong is more important than the fact that they are wrong.

Then perhaps you wish to tell us why you cling to idea's that fail to hold up to scrutiny.

Perhaps it's a fear of death, or a longing something better than the life you lived? Please enlighten us.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I would if I understood it.

If knowing what a "logical fallacy" is were to become a prerequisite for posting on these type threads, they would be pretty short.

It's not important enough to google.

You really should.

You might learn something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

As much as you go on, you continue to demonstrate you do not understand Infinite. There can only be One. Infinite does not allow for something greater from which to spring.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I'll give it a shot if you don't mind:

9) How can a baby or young child be saved from going to your Hell when they can't possibly understand your religion? I believe that God is fair and just. If a young child hasn't reached the age of reason and accountability (varies for each person) then God will extend grace and mercy to that individual.

10) Do you really believe that EVERYBODY that doesn't believe what you believe is going to burn in your Hell for eternity? Yes I do. The rules are explained in the Holy Bible, and I believe every word.

11) Are there animals in your Heaven? They're your God's creatures too. There is no mention in the Bible of animals being in heaven, so I can't say. It really doesn't matter though, does it?

Raider,

Do you see your contradiction between 9 and 10?

And could you really call it Heaven without hunting dogs?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by victoro
victoro,

The good you do in your short life is all that really counts. Believing in an invisible guy in the sky (or wherever you believe he is) isn't important at all and doesn't make you a better person.

It looks like you finished this thread. smile

I hope so! I wish all religious posts were banned on this forum.

I say let them post, so long as those with different beliefs are allowed to debate them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by doover72
I hope God has his lawyer with him when all the Atheists hold Him to account.Otherwise, He won't have a chance with the likes of Antelope Sniper and victorio sitting as judges,

Well, if he is all knowing and powerful, etc., shouldn't he be held accountable for all of the bullschit going on?

It's called free will, which is what God gave all of us. Some use it wisely most of the time, others...not so much.

What does free will have to do with earthquakes, tsunami's, floods, droughts, malaria etc?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You didn't ask me but I'll tell you.

A man should have a close enough relationship with the God of his understanding that he has an idea of His nature.

Parts of the bible that paint a picture of God which are contrary to what a man knows God's nature to be should be counted of no worth to him.

Of course, if a man is hung up on theology, he will try to make ALL of it fit God's nature which requires all sorts of mental contortions.

So if a Bible passage doesn't say what you want it to say, just chuck it?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Personally, I find most of Genesis to be somewhat true in the sense that most of the characters of Aesop were based on truths, but you can't take it literally. It probably was from oral traditions that morphed who knows how much, or from too many misinterpreted or otherwise untranslatable rewrites. Most of you read King James bible or more modern versions that were mostly taken from there. Heck I can't hardly understand Chaucer and that wasn't much before King James,They even claim that it is English smile but Jame's scholars translated words from Arabic, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Latin, and other languages that were more than a thousand years old in times that language changed much faster than it has since the written word has become much more widespread, I believe they got it all mixed up literally, even if the gist of it all is still there.

Just look at the first few pages if you don't think so. In Genesis 1, God made man and woman, then Adam named stuff and etc. In Genesis 2, Adam is lonely so God makes his rib into a woman (what happened to the one he made in book 1?) Then there is Cain and Able, and Cain's wife - who is she, where did those people in Nod come from? That is just for starters all of Genesis follows this pattern, but it is really old, and as I said before, probably largely an attempt to first write an oral tradition. The closer we get to the era of Christ the more accurate, and the better the writing skills of the chroniclers gets. We know plenty of Cesar, Alexander, Cicero, and many others, Christ as well, but most of the things that are considered silly by Atheists are all found in Genesis. It comes at the very dawn of written history which explains why it can't be taken literally in my opinion, but that doesn't necessarily make it false in essence. That probably is not what many other people believe, but it is my belief and allows me to be religious, non-denominational and rational.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
curdog4570,

You are correct. As I have posted here previously when I was a fairly new Christian I used to ask people almost everywhere I went if they were a Christian. The vast majority said, “Yes.”

Then one day, to make conversation, I asked how long he had been born again. He didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.
So I started asking people what it takes to be a Christian. There was a world of answers. You need to know only the actual born again Christians will be with Jesus.

Please prove this.

Page 13 of 42 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 41 42

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,088
Posts18,521,961
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.