Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 42 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 41 42
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"That's where you are wrong. On the day of judgement there are only two groups, the saved who will spend eternity with God and the lost who will be cast out into darkness. There is no third group who are just on their own."

There's no doubt you truly believe exactly that. That doesn't make it a fact though.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

That's where you are wrong. On the day of judgement there are only two groups, the saved who will spend eternity with God and the lost who will be cast out into darkness. There is no third group who are just on their own.

Please prove this

I don't have to prove it. If billions of us are correct you will find out soon enough. If we are wrong it won't matter at all. If we are right though it is the most important statement you will ever hear.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by victoro
"That's where you are wrong. On the day of judgement there are only two groups, the saved who will spend eternity with God and the lost who will be cast out into darkness. There is no third group who are just on their own."

There's no doubt you truly believe exactly that. That doesn't make it a fact though.

It is a fact though that I don't want you to be in the wrong group.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

MojoHand posted a heart rending photo and asked a good question. Here are some thoughts:

Broadly, there are two themes present in this thread. God or no God. The “No God” side is represented by many here.

Considering the question that MH posed;

“…if there is no God, then there is no difficulty reconciling nature and suffering. Nature (and this world we live in) is indifferent and unintelligent, and that leaves no one to stop the cruel deeds damaged minds or the devastation of natural disasters or disease.”

“The default position of the atheist is one of; ‘I do not believe due to the lack of evidence.” This is often followed by some declaration that a powerful God who lets these terrible things happen is not one to be believed in or worshipped anyway.

This is often followed by some statement that judges God to be not loving, not kind, vindictive and even cruel. The question is posed; “Why should I believe in such a God?”

One is not required to believe. If there is no God then what does it matter? “The suffering and death of children is just a cold fact of nature….nature is unthinking and indifferent.” Our emotional distress over this is simply some natural brain construct that causes temporary feelings of unease, or distress if the loss is close to some person; but that is of no consequence either. The suffering of a child does not really matter and death, of a child or loved one, is really nothing more than the winking off of a light that was no more than small ripple on the ocean of one planet in a universe of billions of planets.

If there is no God, then religion is at best a benign hoax. And who is to say that one religion or set of morals is better than another? We just have competing tribes bound together with some tragic set of common beliefs. It matters not to kill a child or an enemy if he is not one of “your tribe.”

But what if there is a God? I heard a thought on this: “God dwells in obscurity. There is enough light there that we can find Him if we look, but there is enough darkness there that we can miss Him if we want to.”

Alas, this is the internet and this is only one post in a thread of 16 pages. Cannot address all the issues in one post.
If God does exist, these are questions that one would seemingly ask:

Why have we been created? What does He want from us? What does He want for us? Has He indeed revealed Himself to us? How did He reveal Himself? Does He love us? If He answered our questions could we understand or have comprehension of the answers? Will God demand an accounting of our lives?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Ok. New poster here. Long time reader.

The Bible is the inspired word of God. Paul was the murderer of christians made anew by God. After being reborn he said the Lord stretched out his hand and touched his mouth and said "behold, I have put my words in your mouth".
How long did science believe the world flat while the bible said it was round? Job 26.10, Prov 8.27, Amos 9:6.

The water cycle was not understood until 30 bc by Marcus Vitruvius yet all aspects of the water cycle described it as later proven by modern science in Job 26:8, Amos 9.6, Eccl 1.6-7, etc.

If a lady kissed a frog and it became a prince, it would be called a fairy tail, but if supposedly an amoeba transformed into a man over millions of years, its called evolution. Why are there no inbetween animals. All living creatures can reproduce only their own kind and cant interbreed and form a new viable strain as confirmed in the bible.

I know God lives because he lives in my heart. He made me different than i used to be.

Mojo, in the coming heaven and hell, people wont drown. So, you wish it were that way now? You wish we had not been given free reign by God. Thats rather progressive.

Describing what its like to have Christ in me would be akin to telling an old virgin how great it is to have sex.

Flame on.

Yea....

Job 38:22, for example, says that snow and hail are kept in storehouses. Genesis 2:5-6 contradicts the water cycle.

Ecclesiastes 1:7 does not describe the water cycle. It merely says that water returns to the source of streams; it does not say how. It was once believed that the water returned underground.

Interpreting that passage literally completely rejects its context. The chapter says, briefly, that "there is nothing new under the sun," and gives several examples. If, in fact, knowledge of the water cycle were interpreted as a new bit of knowledge, it would contradict the chapter as a whole.

Attributing a requirement of some special knowledge to account for this verse assumes the ancient Hebrews were idiots. Knowledge of a spherical earth is ancient, and with it no edge for water to spill over. It is theologically reasonable to assume that God is not constantly creating new water (Gen. 2:3). It is easy to see mists rising from waters and rain coming from clouds. A water cycle would be difficult not to deduce.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Not teaching your children about religion and God doesn't give them the tools to make an informed decision. Withholding valuable information in order to hide the truth or obfuscate reality so that it doesn't interfere with your world view doesn't promote knowledge, it fosters ignorance. That ignorance doesn't make you or your kids or grandkids enlightened, it makes them ignorant and it makes you guilty of child neglect. 😉

It's quite common for atheists to have high opinions of themselves, because their ignorance is so all encompassing they can't comprehend the totality of their ignorance thereby falsely affirming their superiority.

Really?

All I have to do is let my kids read Ringman's post, and ask them what they think about them, and my work is essentially done.

There's nothing like the true beliefs of a YEC to lead a young inquiring mind down the road of non-belief.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Not teaching your children about religion and God doesn't give them the tools to make an informed decision. Withholding valuable information in order to hide the truth or obfuscate reality so that it doesn't interfere with your world view doesn't promote knowledge, it fosters ignorance. That ignorance doesn't make you or your kids or grandkids enlightened, it makes them ignorant and it makes you guilty of child neglect. 😉

It's quite common for atheists to have high opinions of themselves, because their ignorance is so all encompassing they can't comprehend the totality of their ignorance thereby falsely affirming their superiority.

I have you on ignore for good reason but are you still in that mental institution? You still sound dangerous to me. I think they let you out too soon.

They guy who uses the argument from ignorance, claims it's the other side that is ignorant. How rich!!

I think it was Christopher Hitchens that said indoctrinating children into an oppressive religion is child abuse.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You need to drop the religious thing. Muslims are religious too, ya know?

What if you're wrong though? You didn't answer that.

My answer is another question. What if you're wrong? I'm not worried about going to Heaven or Hell. Muslims believe they're right too and that you belong in Hell. They want to kill you so you'll you get there as soon as possible. All religions are cults, some are just worse than others.

If I'm wrong, then I've lost nothing. Already state that.

Now answer my question with an answer if you don't mind....what if I'm right and you're wrong?

Not true.

If you are wrong, you've lost every minute of your life you invested into a belief that is not true.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I have you on ignore for good reason but are you still in that mental institution? You still sound dangerous to me. I think they let you out too soon.

They guy who uses the argument from ignorance, claims it's the other side that is ignorant. How rich!!

I think it was Christopher Hitchens that said indoctrinating children into an oppressive religion is child abuse.

C Hitchens did not know how many hairs were on his head, when he would die or where he would go. He "knew" he was nothing but an animal but his knowledge of right and wrong disputed that erronious conclusion and he was too stupid to reconcile the truth he knew with the choice he elected.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/15/16.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
You need to drop the religious thing. Muslims are religious too, ya know?

What if you're wrong though? You didn't answer that.

My answer is another question. What if you're wrong? I'm not worried about going to Heaven or Hell. Muslims believe they're right too and that you belong in Hell. They want to kill you so you'll you get there as soon as possible. All religions are cults, some are just worse than others.

If I'm wrong, then I've lost nothing. Already state that.

Now answer my question with an answer if you don't mind....what if I'm right and you're wrong?

This question was not directed at me, but I will take a shot at it anyway.

I can find nothing more ludicrous than the idea of an immortal soul. But the concept that there is an entity in the universe listening in on my every thought and giving a rat's behind one way or the other about my life runs a close second.

Now, if I am right, I end up dead and buried in he ground.

And, according to he Bible I have read, if I am wrong, I end up dead and buried in the ground.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx

C Hitchens did not know how many hairs were on his head, when he would die or where he would go. He "knew" he was nothing but an animal but his knowledge of right and wrong disputed that erronious conclusion and he was too stupid to reconcile the truth he knew with the choice he elected.

I'll let him speak for himself:

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
But what if there is a God? I heard a thought on this: “God dwells in obscurity. There is enough light there that we can find Him if we look, but there is enough darkness there that we can miss Him if we want to.”

Your God seems so obscure as to be irrelevant:

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That's where you are wrong. On the day of judgement there are only two groups, the saved who will spend eternity with God and the lost who will be cast out into darkness. There is no third group who are just on their own.

Please prove this

I don't have to prove it. If billions of us are correct you will find out soon enough. If we are wrong it won't matter at all. If we are right though it is the most important statement you will ever hear.

More threats via Pascals wager?

How Christian of you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your God seems so obscure as to be irrelevant:
[Linked Image]

The 'logic' says if God is good, He would get rid of all pain, suffering, and injustice. The logic says if God could, He would get rid of all pain, suffering, and injustice. So the logic says either He lacks 'good', or He lacks 'could'...there is either a problem with His willingness or His ability...or...there is no God at all.

That's what some people's logic tells them. And I can understand some people thinking that way.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One more time then I will shut up for a while. At least a little while. wink

There is no proof, that is why they call it faith.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AS - maybe a good thing that you granted Hitchens permission to "speak for himself". Although adding nothing convincing to this discussion, those clips are a good reminder. Even a witty, learned and well-spoken person will take some personal view and generalize nastily to set up his premise and then use that to ridicule folks he neither knows nor seems to understand.

Yes - a smart man - but seemingly not smart enough to decipher that his take on life and Christianity, his experience and views, even when uttered in his final breaths are not at all compelling to other learned people who are as smart or smarter - but more humble in the face of the Creator whom they have come to know and in whom they place their faith.

You simply revealed more of why you do not succeed in these discussions.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that I can read the sign:

"Epicuris was logical and empirical - and he is long dead"

GOD

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
AS - maybe a good thing that you granted Hitchens permission to "speak for himself". Although adding nothing convincing to this discussion, those clips are a good reminder. Even a witty, learned and well-spoken person will take some personal view and generalize nastily to set up his premise and then use that to ridicule folks he neither knows nor seems to understand.

Yes - a smart man - but seemingly not smart enough to decipher that his take on life and Christianity, his experience and views, even when uttered in his final breaths are not at all compelling to other learned people who are as smart or smarter - but more humble in the face of the Creator whom they have come to know and in whom they place their faith.

You simply revealed more of why you do not succeed in these discussions.

Those were actually some of his more mild clips, and they did address the previous statement regarding his knowledge of his destination. Of course you are probably not very enamored with the person who wrote the book, "god is not great", but like him or not, he certainly could turn a phrase.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
I think that I can read the sign:

"Epicuris was logical and empirical - and he is long dead"

GOD

The difference between Epicuris and God, is we have evidence Epicuris existed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Please prove this

More threats via Pascals wager?

How Christian of you.

Who is making threats? I considered it a warning.

Page 20 of 42 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 41 42

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (308xray, 1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,085
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.