Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 42 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 41 42
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Gus, I think you nailed it. Your analysis of AS is spot on. No matter what argument is presented a defense has been established. Rabbit holes abound...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I have room for the illiterate brethren in my world view.

Me too,but that doesn't mean I have to be.

I never said the Bible was necessary for salvation. In fact I said in one post that it wasn't. That however does not mean that any Christian should just dismiss the Bible of any of it's teachings.

I actually don't hold any views that aren't supported by Scripture, but that's a far cry from believing that everything in ANY version of the bible is a direct revelation from God.

And I'd not suggest the bible as proof of anything.

I believe this about scripture, how about you?

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 (KJV)

6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

So tell me cur, how do you determine which "words" are true, and which ones are not?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have asked that before. Still waiting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well in the interest of keeping the discussion alive and moving forward, until he gets back to us, i'd fill in by suggesting it'd be related to current info downloaded from the Holy Ghost. others might call it intuition or that small quiet inner voice.

of course i could be wrong. his explanation might be totally different than anything i could even conceive of.

we're beginning to dance around the rose bush that relates to whether God came here, established things, and put the operation in motion and moved on to other parts of his empire. Or, is he or his representatives still in the neighborhood and maintaining contact with as many Earthlings as they possibly can? so in essence, God came and put things in motion, and pulled out after educating his care-takers; or, he's still here, and calling the shots. i suppose it could be either way? or even other additional ways?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
...how do you determine which "words" are true, and which ones are not?

"I will put My Laws in their hearts and inscribe them on their minds." - God

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I never said the Bible was necessary for salvation. In fact I said in one post that it wasn't. That however does not mean that any Christian should just dismiss the Bible of any of it's teachings.

I actually don't hold any views that aren't supported by Scripture, but that's a far cry from believing that everything in ANY version of the bible is a direct revelation from God.

7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

So tell me cur, how do you determine which "words" are true, and which ones are not?

Well........ I have a choice. I can rely on people like you and Ringman to interpret the bible for me or I can rely on the Spirit of Truth which can instruct us in all things. And He doesn't lead me into Deuteronomy much.

Maybe He is waiting for me to to get those pesky Two Great Commandments perfected in my life before He leads me into the realms of knowledge occupied by you and Ringman.

Oh..... and by the way... I've posted many times that I don't divide the bible into "true" or "untrue". "Useful for me" and "otherwise" are the categories I use.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw

...believing that everything in ANY version of the bible is a direct revelation from God.

I don't believe I've ever met anyone who believed that, nor am I aware of any churches that hold that as official dogma.

Ps- I bed your pardon; I read that "any" incorrectly sorry... I read it to mean any version (including translations) not ANY version... caps for emphasis mean a lot there...

I could have said "any particular version" and it might have been better understood.

And, Yes, there is at least one denomination I know of that holds it as Dogma that a man can only receive Divine inspiration from God thru the bible, preferably a KJV.

For them, it would be impossible for God to "talk" to me thru you, or, for me to receive inspiration from reading C.S. Lewis or some other writer. [they haven't been subject to the "peer review" necessary to be declared "Inspired"]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

I've explained it each time I've been asked, by you and everyone else. Been going on for years, now.

A year from now you'll be making this same post...

"I have asked that before. Still waiting."

I find it odd that you, J G Raider etal seem never to have heard of The Holy Spirit.

Last edited by curdog4570; 09/20/16.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I've explained it each time I've been asked, by you and everyone else. Been going on for years, now.

I find it odd that you, J G Raider etal seem never to have heard of The Holy Spirit.

You still obfuscate on the answer. But you seem to decide today what is true and tomorrow what is true. But it may not be true the next day. It seems the Holy Spirit will teach us from the Bible.

John 14:16
"'I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth,'"

John 16:13
"'When He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth;'"

John 17:17 Jesus speaking
'"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.'"

1 John 2:27
"As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him."

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Oh I'm quite familiar with the Holy Spirit, and how He works, how he speaks to me, etc. Very familiar, but always eager to learn more.

I'm also quite familiar with the great deceiver, Satan, who "prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking to destroy" Satan is very familiar with scripture too, and tries to deceive us by twisting the words in our minds, presenting doubt, etc.

It's this spritual warfare thing that every Christian fights.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/20/16.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by baltz526
Using religious text to show an idea to an atheist, is like trying to strain spaghetti with a base ball bat. It is the atheists free will to not seek god. It is your free will that allows you to seek god. Bickering about each others free will is a waste of both of your time. If a person is unwilling to seek, that person will never find.

I sought, and there was no evidence.
If you found no evidence, you did not look very hard.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I guess you never studies how the cannon was put together. It resembled the peer review process, in the religious sense more than you realize.

There you go again.... responding as if I am defending the bible, WHEN YOU KNOW THAT IS NOT THE CASE.

That "peer review" that you claim I know little about is the primary reason the bible is NOT the foundation of my faith as it is for some.

I wish you would participate honestly or leave the conversation.

I did not say you were defending the Bible, I just pointed you that you made a factual claim that was not true.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by carbon12

Adam's sin created a situation where it would be impossible for anyone to live without sin. It changed the nature of man to desire sin.

Why didn't God just change it back? He did in the only way possible without going back on his word.

Really? A God that spoke a universe into existence had only one way possible?

Are you implying that God's omnipotency has limitations?

Yes. He is just.

No,

He's not.

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Everything takes on a different light if you really understand The Law,why it was given,and what it caused.

I'm not going to write a thesis here but I will give you a path to follow if you so choose. Look at how God treated man before the law. Learn why the law was given, what it accomplished,and how it changed God's relationship to man.To guide the quest I'll tell you that God never wanted to give the law and never gave it expecting that men should keep it.

In order to understand why the Law does not really fit with the New Testament, you must first realize you are really discussing two separate religions, with the older welded to the newer, to make the new religion appear older and give it more gravitas.

In this regard Marcion was right, Christianity should of just ditched all the Old Testament baggage and started fresh. If they had done so, it would be much easier for it practitioners to do as you suggest and focus on your understanding of Christ.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There are none so blind as he who will not see.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I actually don't hold any views that aren't supported by Scripture ...

I suspect Ringman would disagree with you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Gee, antelope_sniper, what ever gave you that idea? grin

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Well........ I have a choice. I can rely on people like you and Ringman to interpret the bible for me or I can rely on the Spirit of Truth which can instruct us in all things. And He doesn't lead me into Deuteronomy much.

Maybe He is waiting for me to to get those pesky Two Great Commandments perfected in my life before He leads me into the realms of knowledge occupied by you and Ringman.

Oh..... and by the way... I've posted many times that I don't divide the bible into "true" or "untrue". "Useful for me" and "otherwise" are the categories I use.

Curdog,

If you are going to pick as choose from the Bible according to your own sense of what's just and right, why do you even need the Bible.

In doing so, you are already half way to creating your own brand of secular morality. Why not just admit you are more moral than the human authors of the Bible.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Everything takes on a different light if you really understand The Law,why it was given,and what it caused.

I'm not going to write a thesis here but I will give you a path to follow if you so choose. Look at how God treated man before the law. Learn why the law was given, what it accomplished,and how it changed God's relationship to man.To guide the quest I'll tell you that God never wanted to give the law and never gave it expecting that men should keep it.[/quote]

In order to understand why the Law does not really fit with the New Testament, you must first realize you are really discussing two separate religions, with the older welded to the newer, to make the new religion appear older and give it more gravitas.

In this regard Marcion was right, Christianity should of just ditched all the Old Testament baggage and started fresh. If they had done so, it would be much easier for it practitioners to do as you suggest and focus on your understanding of Christ. [/quote]

No sir. The old is there to lead men into the new. It's not two different set of rules or two different religions.

The law was a tool used by God to prove to men that they couldn't attain righteousness by their actions. The law was given to show men that they couldn't be good enough to keep all of it. God even made a law that if you broke one ,you were guilty of all, so men wouldn't think 90% was good enough.

When the law was broken, a sacrifice had to be made. The only way to be right with God again was to have faith that the sacrifice was good enough. All of this was to lead men to see Jesus as the sacrifice that would do away with sin for all who would have faith in his sacrifice.

God actually did not want to give the law but the people were so adamant that they could do anything God said to do that the only way to show them they couldn't was to give a set of laws showing what would be necessary to be righteous by works.

That's it in a nutshell. Sorry but I don't really want to get any more detailed right now.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 09/20/16.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I don't know, maybe just because you know the actual text of the New Testament better than anyone else on The Fire, and of the believers, have the most honest reading of the actual words on the paper.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I don't know, maybe just because you know the actual text of the New Testament better than anyone else on The Fire, and of the believers, have the most honest reading of the actual words on the paper.

Any Pharisee can quote scripture but not one recognized Jesus as Lord.

Page 34 of 42 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 41 42

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,089
Posts18,521,999
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.