-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 42 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 42
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, it's the perfect book directly inspired by the all knowing Creator of the Universe, but you can essentially chuck all of it but three sentences?

Personally... it matters not if the bible is "perfect, being God breathed". When some of the passages are so elegant, especially those attributed to Jesus, does it really matter WHO said them? SOMEONE said them, and no parallels to His teachings have EVER been found. [before you start listing some,remember that to qualify, the writer must claim to be God, Himself]

When an honest seeker reads the bible with an open mind [a redundancy, for added effect] he will find some passages in both the O T and the N T that impress themselves on his consciousness due to their clarity.

Granted, a man can experience this while reading other material as well. But, considering WHEN the writing was done adds a certain majesty to ancient texts. The fact that some of the truths found in the bible appear in other ancient texts as well only add to, not detract from, its credibility.

It is only due to claims of perfection and the weaving of theologies that the bible becomes an easy target for arrogant, small minded men.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus prioritized 'people' over religious beliefs and values and rules and instructions.

If you don't first and foremost obey His greatest commandment...the one that He said would identify you as His follower *more than anything else* would...then whatever else you say or do pertaining to your Christian faith is a moot point.

Excellent.

Ringman is being assaulted with the Truth by both you and R H. Funny how he is backed up against Antelope Sniper for support in this simulated firefight. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
So, Curdog and RH, what do you think of the scriptures following?
Many honor me with their lips but not with their heart. Does one have to honor him with their heart? Does one have to love one another, or is that works?

Take care that you not only hear the word, but that you do it, that you be not decieved. Does decieved mean Hell, or a lower place in Heaven?

If I tell a righteous man they will live, but they then trust in their righteousness and do evil, none of the righteous they have done will be remembered; they will die for the evil they have done.

Edited to add, antlers, R White, efw, Aces, JG, etc.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/23/16.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Ringman
You guys like the part where you can decide but don't go for the Part where you actually have to obey.

Loving God, and demonstrating your love for God by loving others 'is' His greatest commandment. Doing that 'is' obeying Him.

So then the rest of Jesus' instructions don't apply to us Christians today?

Jesus prioritized 'people' over religious beliefs and values and rules and instructions.

If you don't first and foremost obey His greatest commandment...the one that He said would identify you as His follower *more than anything else* would...then whatever else you say or do pertaining to your Christian faith is a moot point.

Is is possible for someone to start with the first two you folks push and include the rest of the New Testament instructions and commands from a humble loving heart?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

So, it's the perfect book directly inspired by the all knowing Creator of the Universe, but you can essentially chuck all of it but three sentences?

No, I find all of it useful but if you just want to know what to do you can sum it up real easy. Love God with everything you have,and love your neighbor as yourself.

If you "love your neighbor as yourself" do you try to teach them about God's salvation?
Yes, I think so, unless they completely reject any such notion. I think however the how to teach them is a huge question. Sometimes it might be by many words,sometimes only a few in season, sometimes only by appropriate actions.The Holy Spirit must be the guide.

It seems to be something we do so poorly,often using scripture like a hammer when it mostly needs to be a seed.

If your group does it so poorly maybe you should take time to teach them.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This post proves that anytime you'd like to get 700+ replies to a posting....make it on RELIGION!! sleep crazy

[Linked Image]Kansas whitetail 2014 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharpsman; 09/24/16.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
So, Curdog and RH, what do you think of the scriptures following?
Many honor me with their lips but not with their heart. Does one have to honor him with their heart? Does one have to love one another, or is that works?

Take care that you not only hear the word, but that you do it, that you be not decieved. Does decieved mean Hell, or a lower place in Heaven?

If I tell a righteous man they will live, but they then trust in their righteousness and do evil, none of the righteous they have done will be remembered; they will die for the evil they have done.

Edited to add, antlers, R White, efw, Aces, JG, etc.

For me all these scriptures go back to salvation. When a person is saved their heart is changed. That changed heart desires to do what is right,desires to please God. You can have a good talk and a good walk without God.Even Godless people can be good moral people if they have been taught to be. A person knows if he wants to please God in his heart. How much time does he spend with God just talking to him? Is his relationship with God based on what he thinks he has done,or on gratitude knowing what God has done? Think of the words of the Pharisee,"look at what we have done" It was never,"look at what God has done for us." (Luke 18:10-14)

Be doers of the word and not hearers only deceiving your own selves.This scripture speaks of the man who knows all about God but doesn't actually know God. Is a man saved because he attends church every time the doors are open? Many have been taught to do so from birth.No, a man is saved because God has changed his heart,become one spirit with him. The changed heart doesn't worry if it has done enough to please God,it just does things to please God because it is changed. Just like the branch doesn't strive to produce fruit, it produces fruit as a natural result of being connected to the vine.

A righteous man isn't righteous because of what he does or doesn't do. A righteous man is only righteous because righteousness has been granted to him by God through his rebirth. That rebirth created a new heart and a Spirit one with God. (1Cor.6:17,John17:20-21)

Does a righteous man do evil,most assuredly yes,but he does not habitually practice evil. The Holy Spirit who is one with his spirit will correct a righteous man. The Holy Spirit is continually working to change the saved man so that he walks and acts like the man he has already become on the inside.

That is where most Christians miss it. Most Christians are continually trying to become what they already are.If they actually knew who they are because of that connection to Christ,they would act like who they are. Instead they try to attain and live in discouragement and self doubt because of their failure. Put simply,if a man thinks he is a hog trying to become a man,he will continue to wallow in the mud with the other hogs. It is only when he realizes that he is a man that he will remove himself from what the hogs do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is is possible for someone to start with the first two 'you folks' push and include the rest of the New Testament instructions and commands from a humble loving heart?

Take it up with Jesus, as *He's the one* so eloquently pushin' "the first two" that you mention above...and He's pushin' em' above ALL other instructions.

His entire ministry on earth centered around *the one thing* that He said mattered more than anything else - loving God, and demonstrating your love for God by loving others.

It is at the very center of the center of the center of what it means to be a follower of Jesus.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You guys like the part where you can decide but don't go for the Part where you actually have to obey.

Loving God, and demonstrating your love for God by loving others 'is' His greatest commandment. Doing that 'is' obeying Him.

Is is possible for someone to start with the first two you folks push and include the rest of the New Testament instructions and commands from a humble loving heart?

I don't know? Do you know every NT Commandment? Is it possible you missed any or misinterpreted any? If you did then does that mean you aren't saved? If you spend that much time being concerned that you missed or misinterpreted any commandment are you then placing your faith in your obedience saving you,rather than simply trusting in God's grace to save you?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

lol

Just like the OT doesn't apply?

For Christians the Old Testament instructions were "abolished having been nailed to the cross."

Including the Ten Commandments?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

For Christians the Old Testament instructions were "abolished having been nailed to the cross." [/quote]

Including the Ten Commandments? [/quote]

Yes,Jesus paid the price for every sin,the price for every broken commandment.Is there any sin or broken commandment you can't receive forgiveness for? Did you have to list them all without fail to be forgiven when you made Jesus your Lord?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My early religious learnings spoke at length of the great deceiver, the anti christ. The one who would gather multitudes of worshipers who actually believed he was God.

What of these poor souls who think the God they love and worship is true. Who proselytize their belief. Who love their neighbor and share their love of this false God.

But yet, they fail to follow even the most basic and earliest of the true God's teachings?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't know? Do you know every NT Commandment? Is it possible you missed any or misinterpreted any? If you did then does that mean you aren't saved? If you spend that much time being concerned that you missed or misinterpreted any commandment are you then placing your faith in your obedience saving you,rather than simply trusting in God's grace to save you?

Are you asking so I can help you begin to obey from a humble loving heart?

Hebrews 5:11-14; 6:1-3
"Concerning Jesus we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment. And this we will do, if God permits."

Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

For Christians the Old Testament instructions were "abolished having been nailed to the cross."

Including the Ten Commandments? [/quote]

Yes,Jesus paid the price for every sin,the price for every broken commandment.Is there any sin or broken commandment you can't receive forgiveness for? Did you have to list them all without fail to be forgiven when you made Jesus your Lord?

[/quote]

I am not speaking of a sin committed and forgiven. I am speaking of a commandment broken repetitively through life and never repented, because it has never been recognized as a sin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

[/quote]

I am not speaking of a sin committed and forgiven. I am speaking of a commandment broken repetitively through life and never repented, because it has never been recognized as a sin. [/quote]

1 John 3:7-8a
"Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil;"

Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Okay Rich, the question remains. Is it a sin to blatantly disobey the commandments?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

lol

Just like the OT doesn't apply?

Yep,

God is so perfect and all knowing, that his original instructions were "abolished". crazy

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Except slaves, who he instructed to obey their masters, even the cruel one's, and everyone who doesn't believe in him, who will be tortured FOREVER.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

[/quote]

I am not speaking of a sin committed and forgiven. I am speaking of a commandment broken repetitively through life and never repented, because it has never been recognized as a sin. [/quote]

Give an example of such a sin.

Do you think it is necessary to ask forgiveness for a sin before it is forgiven?

Your question sounds like you are basing said person's salvation on his not committing sin,and if he does on his ability to ask for forgiveness.

Setting all that aside and honestly trying to answer your question without picking it apart to illustrate it's fallacy, I don't believe that it is possible for a saved person to commit sin without the Holy Spirit trying to lead them out of that sin.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

If the other 603 were eliminated, why would there be a case for special pleading for these 10(and which version of these 10)?

Page 39 of 42 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 42

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 9 invisible), 910 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,101
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.