Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
RBO, you are in over your head....

I'd stop now...

Guess I should have bumped up my post count on this forum a few thousand before engaging. I know some of the players from other forums, I know exactly who I'm up against.

Last edited by RBO; 10/10/16.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not really. It's short on energy, the most important factor grin

Yeah, but the 129 has MORE than the 140, which makes it BETTER!?!?!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RBO

I'd stop now...

Guess I should have bumped up my post count on this forum a few thousand before engaging. I know some of the players from other forums, I know exactly who I'm up against.

Nice.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?
.30/06
Once I got past chuckling at RBO's claims, I liked elkhunternm's reply because the 30:06 seems like one good response.

Let's put it all into some practical form. We're looking at a big/mature bull elk 350 to 450 yards away and a stiff breeze is blowing across the view. Here sits a .280ai all loaded and sighted in with with whatever is the "optimum" load mentioned earlier. Next to it is a 30:06 accompanied by your choice of 150 gr. bullet loads, 165 gr. bullet loads and 200 gr. (or even 220 gr.) bullet loads - and sighted in accordingly.

I think that the smart hunter/shooter is going to take the shot with the "best" available rifle for that realistic situation, and the other sure looks "better" than that .280ai and its "optimum" load.

Maybe you didn't love hearing about that, but did try to answer the request.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RBO

I'd stop now...

There's a lot of people with lots of posts on this forum in over their heads too. You'll fit right in....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?
.30/06
Once I got past chuckling at RBO's claims, I liked elkhunternm's reply because the 30:06 seems like one good response.

Let's put it all into some practical form. We're looking at a big/mature bull elk 350 to 450 yards away and a stiff breeze is blowing across the view. Here sits a .280ai all loaded and sighted in with with whatever is the "optimum" load mentioned earlier. Next to it is a 30:06 accompanied by your choice of 150 gr. bullet loads, 165 gr. bullet loads and 200 gr. (or even 220 gr.) bullet loads - and sighted in accordingly.

I think that the smart hunter/shooter is going to take the shot with the "best" available rifle for that realistic situation, and the other sure looks "better" than that .280ai and its "optimum" load.

Maybe you didn't love hearing about that, but did try to answer the request.

Have a look at 16bores drop/drift/energy chart on page 9 of this thread. Pick your load?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Jordan,

Speaking of giving unfair advantages you've got the 7-08 lined up with an optimum load and comparing it to a 280ai with an average load. If all things are equal, the 280ai will out preform the 7-08

Not really. I left about 75 fps on the table for both loads, and that is keeping pressure within SAAMI standards for both, which means the .280AI load is pushing about 5000k psi higher pressure than the 7-08! Given equal rifles, we should really be operating at like pressure to give an "apples to apples" comparison. But the pressure differential aside, both loads could get another ~75 fps if using max, redline charges of the optimal powder in each. But the sad news for you, is that if we bumped both loads another 75 fps, the 162AM retains more of that additional speed at the 500 meter line than the 140TTSX does, widening the gap even further in the 162's favour. Sadly, all things AREN'T equal at the 500 meter line when the .280AI is pushing a 140TTSX and the 7-08 a 162AM, and the 7-08 wins in every aspect, including reliable expansion on impact. Now if you were to have the light bulb flicker on for a second, and compare both chamberings in like barrel lengths, at like pressure, using like bullets, then yeah you're going to gain a little performance, at every distance, for the extra premium in recoil, noise, and powder that you pay. But when you fail to mention the bullet you're using while singing the praises of one chambering over all others, guys who know better just chuckle to themselves.

Originally Posted by RBO
Fwiw, I never said the 7-08 wouldn't work out past 300yds, go re-read my post and if you still don't understand what I wrote, let me know and I will explain it to you.

You were doing ok with your argument that the 7rsaum was a good challenger to the 280ai, but it seems you got a little too heavy since then.

First of all, we've been talking about 500 meters because you mentioned 500 and 600 yards with your mighty .280AI and 140TTSX. Now let me quote you...

Originally Posted by RBO
If the maximum range for an average hunter in North America was 300yds I would choose the 7mm-08 all day long, but I think 500yds is a more realistic maximum range for the average hunter, for deer might be ok but I wouldn't try it on a moose or elk at that range with a 7mm-08.

You can try to backpedal at this point, but it ain't gonna work. Fact is, you're still in the rifle infancy stage where you see chamberings as the "end all, be all." You'll eventually realize that bullets matter a whole lot more than the brass vessel they're launched out of. Hopefully our little performance comparison demonstrating the 7-08/162AM outpacing the .280AI/140TTSX at 500 meters has opened your eyes to that fact.

All that is not to say that the 7-08/162 is superior to the .280AI/140 in every situation and in every way. In fact, for shooting large critters at 300 yards or less I'd take the 140TTSX over the 162AM every time, in either launching platform. But when you start suggesting that the 7-08 is best suited to hunting big game under 300 yards and that your .280AI/140TTSX is the quintessential, idealistic combination out to 500 or 600 yards, well I just can't let that slide.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jordan, all things being equal means ALL things, all things being equal between the 7-08 and the 280ai, the 280ai wins with about 4ft lbs more recoil, but still under the proverbial 20ft lbs mark.

Both rifles shoot the same projectiles, its the charge that sets them apart. I haven't looked too much into the 7saum but with only a grain or two difference between it and the ackley, I imagine it would be getting pretty close to the maximum recoil range where shooting gets a little uncomfortable. My only question would be on brass and barrel life, granted for a hunting rifle that wouldn't be much of a worry, provided you don't need to do any load development.

With a choice between a 7-08, a 280ai, and a 7stw to go hunting with, I'd pick the 280ai every time, the 7saum sounds almost like the ballistic twin to the 280ai only in a short fat case.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 7 Saum is about as gay as the 270 but will make do until you can save up your lunch money to afford a 30-06.

300-600...got friends with 900+ yd DRT Elk kills with their 270 WSM, but they'll be crawling back wringing their hands and crying when their supply of 165gr Matrix Magic Bullets dry up.

But until that happens that's the Magnum Force!

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by RBO

RBO: How would you expect anyone to respond to this?

Your post sounds like the add copy for some new Nosler cartridge in the back pages of Petersens' Hunting......You can't really expect me t take any of what you wrote seriously can you? confused

If you want a (partial) list of cartridges that will and have accomplished all the same things that you say the 280AI is suited for we can think about the 270, 7x57, 280, 284, 7SAUM,7mm WSM, 270 Weatherby,7mm Weatherby, 7mm Rem Mag , 7x61 S&H,7mm Dakota,28 Nosler, 30/06, 300 WSM, 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby,30 Nosler, etc etc.

I'd toss in the 338's. They can do the same things but I always regarded them as specialized sluggers in a different category.

I didn't include the 6.5's because the list would start to get ridiculous and you have to draw the line somewhere but obviously many of them are capable of taking exactly the same game you mentioned and at the same distances as well. An old now deceased acquaintance of mine killed a couple of grand slams and all the African plains game with a 264 Win Mag....so....... whistle

If you want to talk about wildcats the list gets longer and the low pressure fire form loads for my 7mm Mashburn with 140 gr bullets easily equals the performance of the 280, and at less pressure,...... while leaving the 280 AI completely in the dust with anything from 140 to 180 gr bullets with full house Mashburn loads. That's from rifles with the same action length and a 24" barrel weighing 8 pounds and under. The 7mm Weatherby, 7 Rem Mag and STW will do the same things.

Some of these cartridges are a bit slower in velocity than a 280 AI, some are a bit faster with the same or heavier bullets and have the case capacity to meet or exceed 280AI velocities very easily....and with heavier bullets to boot, but all kill the same animals in much the same fashion if you pick a good bullet and place it right.

So...in all those categories you mentioned, I could just as easily apply a 30/06, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Winchester mag,270, 280, 7mm Mashburn or Weatherby..... or any of the others mentioned above and stack animals on top of one another from one end of the continent to the other. I could do the same thing with a 280 AI but there isn't anything particularly distinguishing about it except in the bowels of the imaginations of fans like you.

Magnums are powder burners that offer no advantage at 600yds or less which I would guess 95% of hunters never reach out to in the first place, plus with a magnum you get a magnum recoil which i would guess subconsciously causes a flinch in most hunters taking any hunting advantage that magnum rifle might of had and throws it out the window.

I never said the 280ai was the only rifle capable of being a killing machine out to 600yds, I said when you average all things it was the best in my opinion.

The 280ai is a wildcat that is starting to make mainstream with manufacturers mass producing them, and now Nosler is now making factory brass and ammo for them. You know why? Because they realize the efficiency of this cartridge.

What is a "better" all round cartridge and why? I don't want a generic list of all the cartridges in its class, give me a specific cartridge and the reason it's better. I think the 30-06 and the 270 are as close as you can come to being the perfect hunting rifle, with the 280rem taking the best of both worlds then PO Ackley came along and improved it, with even Parker admitting he thought the 280 was the most efficient of his creations.

Get upset with my post, call me a crazy fan boy, but at least back it up with some with some facts and reasons. Like I said, flat like a 270 and hits like a 30-06 with no magnum recoil and factory chamberings. I don't need to hear about the cartridges that can do it, I want to hear about the ones that can do it better, and why.

How do you know all this? have you hunted with and killed much game with all those cartridges,especially the magnums?

Or are you just repeating what you have read?

Im not upset with your post; I just think it's ridiculous.

Cant seem to get RBO to answer this question.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you want to know bob? Have I killed animals with magnum rifles?

Yes, I have killed animals with magnum rifles, when the bullet hits its mark they die. The only magnum rifles I didn't mind shooting for any amount of time finished off around 10-11lbs, which isn't my idea of an ideal hunting rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8# McSwirly'ed R700 7RM with 162's @ 3,000fps is a pussy cat.

But I missed the part where you mentioned your 280AI load.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RBO

Yes, I have killed animals with magnum rifles, when the bullet hits its mark they die. The only magnum rifles I didn't mind shooting for any amount of time finished off around 10-11lbs, which isn't my idea of an ideal hunting rifle.

I'm trying to figure out how you know there is no advantage to (say) a 300 or 338 magnum on a 500 yard elk vs a 270 or 280. I know a few folks who would disagree with you. I'm wondering if you've killed enough of them with those cartridges (or at least seen it done) and dug through enough elk carcasses to know the difference?

The obvious advantage to a magnum chambering is that it holds more powder, so can move heavier bullets to higher velocity than the standard chamberings with less capacity. f you think that's not an advantage, i disagree.

The limiting factor in the recoil issue is "you",and has nothing to do with the advantages offered by the bigger case.You need to find your limitations and live with them,it doesn't change the facts that the bigger case does offer advantages.

10-11 pounds isn't an ideal hunting rifle weight. But that's a rifle you inflict on yourself. If your 7mm or 300 magnum weighs 10-11 pounds it's your fault and no one else's.

None of this, however, elevates a 280AI to the ideal or perfect all around BG cartridge. That's just your own opinion and nothing more.

It wouldn't make my top 5 for a bunch of reasons.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tend to think that for every rifle/chambering, there are choice loads that are right at the sweet spot of performance and nothing is "King" across the board.

"Performance" being subjective....

120 TTSX in a 7RM is a loser in my opinion compared to 110 TTSX in a 270. 162's in that same 7 RM are stellar.

Soooooo much schit overlaps and is insignificant that it's true value is purely campfire fodder.

Suns out, guns out, rock out with your cock out......

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RBO

I'm trying to figure out how you know there is no advantage to (say) a 300 or 338 magnum on a 500 yard elk vs a 270 or 280. I know a few folks who would disagree with you. I'm wondering if you've killed enough of them with those cartridges (or at least seen it done) and dug through enough elk carcasses to know the difference?

The obvious advantage to a magnum chambering is that it holds more powder, so can move heavier bullets to higher velocity than the standard chamberings with less capacity. f you think that's not an advantage, i disagree.

The limiting factor in the recoil issue is "you",and has nothing to do with the advantages offered by the bigger case.You need to find your limitations and live with them,it doesn't change the facts that the bigger case does offer advantages.

10-11 pounds isn't an ideal hunting rifle weight. But that's a rifle you inflict on yourself. If your 7mm or 300 magnum weighs 10-11 pounds it's your fault and no one else's.

None of this, however, elevates a 280AI to the ideal or perfect all around BG cartridge. That's just your own opinion and nothing more.

Hells Bells,my .300 Wby weighs 8 3/4 lbs that is with a Leupold 3.5x10. My 7mm Dakota weighs a hair over 9 lbs and it has a Leupold 4.5x14.

Unless his rifles have barrels that are varmint contour I don't see how they can weigh 10-11 lbs.

The two heaviest rifle I own are a .460 Wby (11 lbs) and a .375 RUM (10 lbs.)

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO

Couple things,

I never said that a magnum rifle wouldn't have an advantage at killing animals, I said that with its added recoil it can make the hunter develop a flinch, in turn making them less accurate. A good shot with a lighter cartridge is beter than a bad shot with a big gun. I have owned several magnum rifles and I'll tell you that spending a day on the bench with a light weight magnum developing loads isn't my idea of a good time.

The magnums I didn't mind shooting a few dozen round through were the ones that weighed 10-11 pounds finished, more geared towards bench work, with that weight they spent little time in the woods.

Obviously all this is and ever was, was my opinion, and it still is my opinion that the 280ai is quite possibly the best all round North American big game hunting cartridge. I know you and a few others have taken offense to my opinion, however none of you have suggested a better alternative, but rather tear up my opinion. My opinion is what the OP was asking to hear about, I gave reasons why I like the 280a and told him what I think about iti, after that most all I've read is a bunch of guys crying over my opinion.

You say it doesn't make your top five for a number of reasons, do you care to tell me the bunch of reasons, then tell me the 5 that top it?

Last edited by RBO; 10/10/16.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO

Hells Bells,my .300 Wby weighs 8 3/4 lbs that is with a Leupold 3.5x10. My 7mm Dakota weighs a hair over 9 lbs and it has a Leupold 4.5x14.

Unless his rifles have barrels that are varmint contour I don't see how they can weigh 10-11 lbs.

The two heaviest rifle I own are a .460 Wby (11 lbs) and a .375 RUM (10 lbs.)

You have an accumark that weighs 8-3/4lbs with a scope on it??? Did you swap out the hydrogen with helium? You gotta give me your secret of how you get a rifle that weighs 8-3/4lb out of the box to weigh 8-3/4lbs with a scope, ammo, and a sling on it? There is only two ways that could happen, magic being one of them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The obvious advantage to a magnum chambering is that it holds more powder, so can move heavier bullets to higher velocity than the standard chamberings with less capacity.

Dang, I was wrong, I am smart enough to say which cartridge is best. All it takes is looking up the one with the most case capacity in any given bore size, and the .50 BMG is king of the hill.

The limiting factor in the recoil issue is "you",and has nothing to do with the advantages offered by the bigger case.

Yes, except for the fact that recoil affects everyone, at some point.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image]

smile

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 16bore
Never even seen me a reloading press. Fingers crossed that you're at least smart enough to be shooting something with a .625 BC.

Lol....I do get a kick out of guys chanting about one bore dia being better than another and they don't even load the bullets that do make it "better".

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 33 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.