Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by j2dogs
I live in a small town, nothing like the crime of big cities. I am 6'2, 245 run 3 miles 2to3 times a week, and lift. I still do not go to the door after dark without a pistol tucked into my waistband. To many home invasions of more then one methhead, once the door is unlocked they bum rush. To many in my area have been left for dead or dead.
I got blasted by a cadre of the "popular girls" here at the fire for stating precisely that a few years ago. It was twisted into my being afraid of girl scouts selling cookies.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I live in a small town, nothing like the crime of big cities. I am 6'2, 245 run 3 miles 2to3 times a week, and lift. I still do not go to the door after dark without a pistol tucked into my waistband. To many home invasions of more then one methhead, once the door is unlocked they bum rush. To many in my area have been left for dead or dead.
I got blasted by a cadre of the "popular girls" here at the fire for stating precisely that a few years ago. It was twisted into my being afraid of girl scouts selling cookies.

one of my houses is in a relative small town, prescott. we are walking distance to a local park, where the tweakers, etc like to hand out. In warmer months it is a trip to sit on the front porch and watch them trying to walk up the street, arms a shaking, talking to God. That park has been the scene of several homicides etc. Evil is present in a lot of communities today, regardless of size. That bum rush was done on my neighbor in phx a few years ago, they were armed. he had a five shot rossi, and was down to one or two rounds. He went in and called the cops, while he was on the phone they came back and got their car in front of his house. We had a long discussion the next day about firepower. I have another neighbor who will remain nameless by description. he walks the neighborhood all hours of the night with a very well trained K9 and a smith semiauto. The werewolves come out in the dark, and the stories he tells and stuff he finds are something. Couple of weeks ago it was a small altoid box with the remains of meth and black tar heroin tossed in the bushes.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/07/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Twat has been the bane of men since time began.
I don't live in the ghetto, but times have changed. That safeway store with the pharmacy robbed multiple times is near my house. About a year ago a 8month pregnant woman walking out of the store had a gun stuck up to her belly by a guy wanting to do a carjacking. My wife had just gotten into her car at a different time at that store, doors automatically locked. Guy starts pounding on the window you have a flat tire. 1. wasn't true, 2. he had no idea that 78year old gramma was packing.
What WE have started doing is i drop her off at the front of the store and watch her enter. Pick her up the same way.
I sit in the car and watch the entrance, as close as i can get. But i am going to change some things. Lately i started carrying a colt cobra again, but limited in rounds. I am going to start taking with us a hi cap something for when i am waiting in the car. It is an issue. One of the current things is Younger people cruising the parking lots on skateboards, bicycles. Finding say an older couple loading good stuff into a suv, they signal their buddies in a van which rolls up to make the hit.
You have to have multiple issues as a juvvie, to get locked up for any amount of time, so the birddog isn't risking much.
with woman, they will leave at a gas pump purse on the seat, and proceed to pump gas. perfect time for a snatch and grab. The meth freaks around a restaurant or other high traffic area will spot a target and be on you real quick.
I have had that happen multiple times. We live near a major freeway, the black canyon, the underpasses/drainage canals had people housekeeping in them, until we got the city to grate them. Not uncommon to find needles, drug stuff, used condoms etc in the street or parking lots. Awareness is a huge thing. My daughter won't get out of the car at a gas station and keeps her doors locked until she surveys the area. She has had men reach through a partially open window at same. Women are particularly bad with cellphones in their ear all the time, driving, getting gas, you name it.
With the drug availability, the problem is just getting worse. My understanding is that around prescott, meth has slid to second place, black tar heroin is cheaper. Thank you mexico.

I realize it's a personal decision, but, when my wife needs a wingman to go to the grocery store, we'll probably be moving. Already BTDT for our child when he was tiny.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No matter what else I may be carrying or not, I have gone to almost always carrying a 442 in a jacket pocket or my front pants pocket & many times as I am walking about, my hand is already on the gun.

Getting jumped by surprise is a difficult situation no matter how you cut it, & in the winter, with a coat on & a holstered gun under a sweatshirt as well as the coat, unless you have sufficient time to get ready, it's hard to get to that gun as fast as you may need it.

Having the pocket gun may give you enough time to get to your primary weapon.

With crime rates going up & druggies coming out of the woodwork, one had better have one's wits about them at all times.

Of course, if you're Superman, Batman, Jack Reacher or Wild Bill none of this applies to you. wink

MM

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This whole story is a hoax. Ain't no indian will be up and about at 0600.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Oh yeah, they just be going to bed. Lol

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I heard on the radio that in 2016 300 people were shot in North Minneapolis. Mostly black gang members shooting rival gang members.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

LOL, I'm the same height and 10 lbs heavier than J2dogs but dont run or workout, and will NOT answer the door after dark, I don't have the time or inclination for that much potential paper work.

I watch them, but don't open the door, If it's someone that knows me they can call, if it's someone up to no good, I'll make the calls for them shortly after.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I lived on the South side of Chicago when I was a kid. During World War 2. Hardly any drive-by's and you could walk the streets in any neighborhood at night and not worry. Now, there are about a dozen or so shootings every week-end. I think the year end figure is around 600. That's only Chicago. Now, that I'm over 80, I would not think of running around there unarmed. I can't run fast anymore. I'm not afraid to get shot at. Had that done to me in Korea in the Corps. But what I do like is to be able to shoot back. As a result of this mentality, I like to have firepower. Simple as that.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You will not get the fight you want. You will get the fight you get, and then have to deal with it.

Personally when discussing these things I try to remind people that "average" fights are in my experience a total fallacy.

Your opponents are not going to dictate the manner in which they attack you, based on what concealed carry gun you have under your jacket.

Plus, while I advocate J Frames for pocket carry, I sure as heck don't advocate them as a primary or sole handgun for most situations. It is exceedingly easy to pull a trigger 5 times just dealing with one threat, let alone multiples.

Additionally, while one of those 5 rounds may actually kill your attacker, it may take a while, and odds are pretty likely that you are not going to get much of an immediate reaction.

It may take 30 seconds or more for a visible reaction to be evident. That is a LONG time, and many things may change in that course of time. Most competent guys I know who carry a J Frame can empty one in well under 3 seconds.

In the first 30 seconds you may just find that the person you put a few rounds into has just stabbed you multiple times, you may have had a hand or arm receive significant trauma, and no longer be functioning properly, etc, etc.

Anybody ever practice one handed reloads of a J Frame? How about one handed reloads of a J frame when you are shaking, covered in liquid, and still have a situation that is dynamic/rapidly evolving.

These are all reasons why most knowledgeable folks with previous experience being involved in shootings carry high capacity semi autos.

Again, as it has been said before, consider that the reason to carry a high capacity semi auto is not to shoot more, but to manipulate less.

Instead of spending time reloading, you can use your hands to shield loved ones, open doors, block doors, get in a vehicle, or apply a tourniquet or other first aid/trauma care.

A good example is the crossroads mall attack, where the Muslim guy dressed as a security guard attacked and stabbed multiple people.

He was shot over and over and over. He got shot, fell down got up and attacked again and again. That is reality.

Watch here and think about if what you carry would be sufficient:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oRgKglQy0o

There are actually numerous self defense shooting videos where the defender shoots his attacker and there is very little if any visible reaction initially.

Those are with just one attacker. Add multiple attackers and the odds of calmly shooting 2 then giving a 3rd guy "one in the liver" while remaining upright and unscathed is in my opinion exceedingly unrealistic and wishful thinking.

Put away the ego and be prepared to deal with the very messy and less than optimal world of reality.

Additionally when dealing with people at contact distances, pretty much every time the fight goes to the ground. You really need to have some ground fighting skills, both with and without weapons. One should have the ability to shoot from the ground, as well as draw from the ground, in addition to knowing some weapon retention.

Frankly I think the very VAST majority of CCW folks and gun enthusiasts would be FAR better off to attend some ground fighting/shooting classes, rather than buy another pretty pistol that they can play "show and tell" with, both to their friends, and online buddies.

Force on force training with simunitions is a perfect example.

Learn how to manage unknown contacts, and deal with evolving situations. The reality is that even in training, it never goes as smooth as it does while envisioning how you would handle it. Watching a video of yourself and your performance during unknown contact management and simunitions training will very quickly reveal weak areas that can be addressed.

That was long winded, but if it encourages some critical thinking then maybe it was not a waste of time.

No waste of time at all.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I live about 1.5 hrs from the Crossroads Mall in St. Cloud where the knife wielding Muslim was stabbing people.
I have thought long and hard about my ccw choice ever since that happened.
I think that if I do buy a Glock it would be a 10mm or 45 acp.
I am not working for a government agency that dictates what or how I choose to carry.
(Thank God)
Being a civilian is nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
I live about 1.5 hrs from the Crossroads Mall in St. Cloud where the knife wielding Muslim was stabbing people.
I have thought long and hard about my ccw choice ever since that happened.
I think that if I do buy a Glock it would be a 10mm or 45 acp.
I am not working for a government agency that dictates what or how I choose to carry.
(Thank God)
Being a civilian is nice.

Good luck concealing a G20/29 or 21/30. The G36 is pretty easy to carry, but you just negated the high capacity advantage.

There are a lot of reasons the G19 is so damned highly recommended. If you had a clue, you'd understand that.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

What gun do you carry when you run?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe how a man carries himself is an important part of these assaults, it takes a desperate idiot to attack a man that has confidence and stature to defend them selves.

Just like how the thugs where dark hoodies and slime around in the shadows, a man dressed in jeans, Carharts and walking in well lit areas has very little chance of being targeted, if you have your hands in your coat pockets there is a good chance there could be a gun in it.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
Good luck concealing a G20/29 or 21/30. The G36 is pretty easy to carry, but you just negated the high capacity advantage.

In Minnesota, in winter? Lol...

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Lima Charlie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by 4ager

In Minnesota, in winter? Lol...

It's winter there all the time?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It is right now, isn't it? You sure are a knowitall, for an office jockey.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just looked at my G19 & G21.. The size is nearly the same.. The 21 a bit wider and longer.. But the 21 feels larger in my hand.. While the 19 has more ammo, the .45 should have more knockdown given equal bullets.. I know the 9 has been greatly improved with the new bullets, but hasn't the .45 also been improved?? My reason for this q. is a video I watch the other day..

I have no experience in real self defense.. But the other day I was watching a video on Hornady's site.. It show a real shootout between a cop and bad guy.. The cop was killed and the bad guy survived despite being hit solidly with a .40.. I want to go back and look at it again (it is rather long), but while watching it I wondered if highway patrolmen have AR's in their vehicles.. After the shooting started, it appeared the patrolman went to his vehicle.. Had he had an AR it would have been much to his advantage to grab it.. According to the video, the killer ran up the the officer and shot him though the side window.. The officer froze and did not replace the empty magazine with a new one.. Gave me a lot to think about as did this entire thread..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

What gun do you carry when you run?

Dave

Hey Dave, a Kahr PM9 with pinky clip and an extra 6 round clip, I load it with Speer 124gr. GD +P
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,036
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.