Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Your own ignorance is clouding your judgement - you're making statements based on facts that just ain't so. Reread my post carefully and compare it to what you wrote. If you can't figure it out from there I don't think I can help you, you either don't comprehend or more likely don't want to.

I didn't criticize las for not using a chronograph - lots of people don't. Lots of people don't use optic sights at all, don't use metallic cartridges, etc...

This wasn't a point of contention about how luddite a system can be and work to kill game. las was making it clear that a chronograph doesn't supply any useful information and that's why he doesn't use one. He's wrong on both counts.
David

You write as though you are an expert on my ignorance and my judgment, as well as my willingness to learn. Some folks are experts on those topics, but you know nothing about those - or me in general. Not a good start.

In an effort to redeem yourself, you might try to identify and dismantle those "statements based on facts that just ain't so".

I did not seek your help, so don't feel too bad about your inability to deliver any.

What I asked for was your justification for labeling las interesting post as "stupid". You have not justified that critique. Bad form.

Just the opposite of your above statement, las did note some usefulness of a chronograph. You can read it in his post.

I may remember your posting the next time I set up my Chrony.

CCCC

I addressed every point in my post, If you want to address any specific comment I made, feel free to quote it and adress it individually. Always amusing to see old men get offended because texhnology has outpaced them, but they are clinging to the technology that was new and innovative for their era. The world won't stop spinning just because you don't want to keep up - it ain't all waiting on you.

David

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GWB - had a K1-A that shot 1.1 @200 using Lapua and IIRC 45.5 H4350 under 130 ABs. Check that load but pretty sure that's correct. Using a G4 FX-III/3. Flattened a WT around 275 yds

Your Sako shoots just fine. Wish I'd tried my NIB 75 SS Lam Varmint 260 before selling. A 75 Gray Wolf shot 1.25 @200 using FC 308 and 7/08 brass. First 2 went in the same hole. Time and again. H4350 (44) and 130AB. Scope for range work was a Leupold 6.5-20x50 Euro

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
geedub,
Love those Swedes of yours. I'm thinking of a Bavarian in 6.5X55 one of these days. If I find myself wavering on that, I will just take another look at your pics on this thread. grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your own ignorance is clouding your judgement - you're making statements based on facts that just ain't so. Reread my post carefully and compare it to what you wrote. If you can't figure it out from there I don't think I can help you, you either don't comprehend or more likely don't want to.

I didn't criticize las for not using a chronograph - lots of people don't. Lots of people don't use optic sights at all, don't use metallic cartridges, etc...

This wasn't a point of contention about how luddite a system can be and work to kill game. las was making it clear that a chronograph doesn't supply any useful information and that's why he doesn't use one. He's wrong on both counts.
David
You write as though you are an expert on my ignorance and my judgment, as well as my willingness to learn. Some folks are experts on those topics, but you know nothing about those - or me in general. Not a good start.
In an effort to redeem yourself, you might try to identify and dismantle those "statements based on facts that just ain't so". I did not seek your help, so don't feel too bad about your inability to deliver any. What I asked for was your justification for labeling las interesting post as "stupid". You have not justified that critique. Bad form.
Just the opposite of your above statement, las did note some usefulness of a chronograph. You can read it in his post.
CCCC I addressed every point in my post, If you want to address any specific comment I made, feel free to quote it and adress it individually. Always amusing to see old men get offended because texhnology has outpaced them, but they are clinging to the technology that was new and innovative for their era. The world won't stop spinning just because you don't want to keep up - it ain't all waiting on you.
David

You don't seem to reason very well, and your spelling needs some work. I have no problem with what you posted about your use of a chronograph, so see no need to quote your post or critique those aspects. Did I (adress?) that OK?

You wrote, wrote, etc. but NEVER have you justified your sleazy comments to las and your calling his post "stupid". You avoid that key challenge like it is a plague. Are you ready to admit you erred in what you said about his post?

And, do you see yourself as a mind reader? Nice if you are "amused", but not in any way can you determine if or how I might be offended because your (texhnology?) has passed me by. Tell me, please, am I offended when using the latest Oehler chronograph and applying that simple MVfps number to work calculations? Goodness sakes - how about when I use a Smarty tuner for my Cummins diesel engine and a CNC device to make something?

I do know folks who will:

take offense when some seeming know-it-all type posts baseless nasty comments about other contributors;

take offense because seeming know-it-all types pretend that they can see inside the minds and feelings of others;

take offense when seeming know-it-all types think that their way is the only au courant way to be;

take offense when seeming know-it-all types use poor spelling.

I choose not to be offended by those behaviors - and try to consider the source.

Would you like to see some photos of my 6.5x55 Swedish rifles and some nice 200 yard groups worked up without the aid of a chronograph?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CCCC, there are many reasons why I have had him on "ignore" for a long time. Glad to see that most are still valid.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, mudhen, thanks. Guess I have not encountered Canazes9 before - and it took a thread on the lousy old 6.5x55 to make it happen.

Looks like I'm way too old and behind the tech curve to catch on to these guys. Finally stumbled there.

Best to you.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Leonten
Let me explain what happened. About 20 years ago I was at the Laguna Seca rifle Range. When we had a cease-fire I asked the guy to my right what he was shooting. He said it was a 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser.

He spent the next 10 to 15 minutes bragging about the rifle it was his father's. At the next cease-fire he again spent 10 to 15 minutes bragging about the rifle.

Then when we started shooting again he noticed I had a chonograph so I let him take a shot through it. Velocity was a little bit over 2400 ft./s. He wanted to know if that was accurate so I let them shoot again. Same results a little bit over 2400 ft./s.

About seven months later I saw him at the range. But now he was shooting a different rifle. I asked him what he was shooting and he said 7MM Remington Magnum. I asked him what he did with the Swedish Mauser.

He said "Oh that POS, I got rid of it."

Everything my wife has killed with her 6.5x55 hasn't taken a step. Maybe he isn't as good a shot as her.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by mudhen
CCCC, there are many reasons why I have had him on "ignore" for a long time. Glad to see that most are still valid.

He's just one of the Campfire clowns that likes to argue....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

David
In an effort to redeem yourself, you might try to identify and dismantle those "statements based on facts that just ain't so". I did not seek your help, so don't feel too bad about your inability to deliver any. What I asked for was your justification for labeling las interesting post as "stupid". You have not justified that critique. Bad form.
CCCC I addressed every point in my post, If you want to address any specific comment I made, feel free to quote it and adress it individually. Always amusing to see old men get offended because texhnology has outpaced them, but they are clinging to the technology that was new and innovative for their era. The world won't stop spinning just because you don't want to keep up - it ain't all waiting on you.
David

You don't seem to reason very well, and your spelling needs some work. I have no problem with what you posted about your use of a chronograph, so see no need to quote your post or critique those aspects. Did I (adress?) that OK?

You wrote, wrote, etc. but NEVER have you justified your sleazy comments to las and your calling his post "stupid". You avoid that key challenge like it is a plague. Are you ready to admit you erred in what you said about his post?

And, do you see yourself as a mind reader? Nice if you are "amused", but not in any way can you determine if or how I might be offended because your (texhnology?) has passed me by. Tell me, please, am I offended when using the latest Oehler chronograph and applying that simple MVfps number to work calculations? Goodness sakes - how about when I use a Smarty tuner for my Cummins diesel engine and a CNC device to make something?

I do know folks who will:

take offense when some seeming know-it-all type posts baseless nasty comments about other contributors;

take offense because seeming know-it-all types pretend that they can see inside the minds and feelings of others;

take offense when seeming know-it-all types think that their way is the only au courant way to be;

take offense when seeming know-it-all types use poor spelling.

I choose not to be offended by those behaviors - and try to consider the source.

Would you like to see some photos of my 6.5x55 Swedish rifles and some nice 200 yard groups worked up without the aid of a chronograph?

CCCC

Sorry about the spelling, sometimes I miss a key when typing in a hurry on th ipad! Just checking into see if you wanted to discuss any specifics - see you are wisely steering clear of all relevant subject matter, but that's what I expected.

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCCC
Sorry about the spelling, sometimes I miss a key when typing in a hurry on th ipad! Just checking into see if you wanted to discuss any specifics - see you are wisely steering clear of all relevant subject matter, but that's what I expected. David

This old fogey can't think of anything relevant or worth discussing about what you posted other than the fact that I can use a top quality chrono when interested in a snapshot of MV.
OTOH, he world seems to be wondering when you are going to provide self-justification for your miserable post about las.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
CCCC
Sorry about the spelling, sometimes I miss a key when typing in a hurry on th ipad! Just checking into see if you wanted to discuss any specifics - see you are wisely steering clear of all relevant subject matter, but that's what I expected. David

This old fogey can't think of anything relevant or worth discussing about what you posted other than the fact that I can use a top quality chrono when interested in a snapshot of MV.
OTOH, he world seems to be wondering when you are going to provide self-justification for your miserable post about las.

CCCC

You argue like a liberal - nothing substantive, just imagined offense. It's really quite amusing to watch you work yourself into a progressively bigger snit over the perceived slander to las. At least Ptarmigan straight up admitted his sole reason for posting was to pitch a fit.

David

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I bought my chrony to check the velocity of a 257 JDJ, contender barrel. The expected velocity was around 2500 fps, but the chrony recorded just under 5000 fps. I wish I would have keeped it as it was to show off the the max velocity crowd, but I sent it back for calibration.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by geedubya
My two POS Swedes......

GWB

They're very pretty cow pies!

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

David

In an effort to redeem yourself, you might try to identify and dismantle those "statements based on facts that just ain't so".

I did not seek your help, so don't feel too bad about your inability to deliver any.

What I asked for was your justification for labeling las interesting post as "stupid". You have not justified that critique. Bad form.

CCCC

I addressed every point in my post, If you want to address any specific comment I made, feel free to quote it and adress it individually. Always amusing to see old men get offended because texhnology has outpaced them, but they are clinging to the technology that was new and innovative for their era. The world won't stop spinning just because you don't want to keep up - it ain't all waiting on you.

David

And only demonstrated ignorance and stupidity while never proving it with regard to las or his statement.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jaguartx

And only demonstrated ignorance and stupidity while never proving it with regard to las or his statement.

I actually explained things quite clearly. Feel free to refute what I wrote - or ask for help with any of the big words.

David

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

If you don't know the velocity of your round you're just guessing. Fundamentally more important, you're guessing about wind drift as that is a function of time of flight, wind vector(s) and BC. As long as your practice includes 2 uncontrolled variables you will have a fundamentally difficult time - easily eliminated with a relatively cheap chronograph.

David

You still have to shoot at known distances to figure out POI. Doesn't matter how fast your bullet is going if you don't practice at comfortable distances, you wont know where it is going to hit, even with a chronograph.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Help me! I've fallen and I can't get up....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65

You still have to shoot at known distances to figure out POI. Doesn't matter how fast your bullet is going if you don't practice at comfortable distances, you wont know where it is going to hit, even with a chronograph.

If you can't see the Flaw in that Slaw, you won't be able to think your way out of a paper bag !

Knowing the velocity eliminates a lot of guessing and saves components.

I'm not going any farther.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65

If you can't see the Flaw in that Slaw, you won't be able to think your way out of a paper bag !

Knowing the velocity eliminates a lot of guessing and saves components.

I'm not going any farther.

Jerry

So,,,,,,,,,, all of the targets that I shot groups at 200 and 300 yards dont mean squat if I didnt shoot them through a chrono?

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I for one admire people like Las. There is a difference between education and wisdom. Education is filling your world with 10,000 useless things when only 3 of them are actually needed. Wisdom is being smart enouph to weed out all the useless bullshit. So you have a chrono and Las doesn't. The only difference is you both likely eat the same amount of wild game, one fella just has an extra $100 in his pocket. ☺

Back to the subject, I'm liking my 6.5X55 swede a lot. Its easy on the shoulder, doesn't require a lot of powder, has a great selection of good bullets to choose from, and is enouph to get the job 100% done if you do your part. That's a good place to be IMHO.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (2ndwind, 1minute, 673, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 17 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.