Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by las
In 50 plus years of shooting/hunting I've yet to crony a load. If it works, it works. It's up to me to position it. I don't need to obsess over speed.
Good groups, bullet construction/performance, and knowing the trajectory of the round is far more important than speed.
The crony will only tell you how it should perform according to the charts. You still have to shoot it at ranges.
The other thing it might tell you is the consistency of your loads, which can be a good thing. Again provable otherwise by actual shooting. I cut out the chrony middleman....tho I do use the factory statistics and charts- which seldom exactly match the gun/me /range live shoots.

Wow! David

Hello David. Would you mind explaining what is "Wow" about las post?

Sure.

I don't think I've ever read so much stupidity regarding the use of a chronograph in such a short post.

David

David, Perhaps you might also be surprised at 'the stupidity' of those, I venture to say, "more than a few" who have killed our truckloads of game without worrying about whether the scope tracks...because we never touch it after it is sighted in where we want it. (What the hell does a hunter need turrets for anyway?)

And ...... have never pointed a rangefinder at an animal before the crosshairs of the scope get so directed.

But yeah, I have owned and used chronographs for over 30 years, but many of the loads I use to hunt with have never been chronyed .... can't really say why but they work every bit as well as anything I used before I owned a chrony.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Dad can beat your Dad up. There. We are done. Please stop bickering like kids in the backseat of a 1960's station wagon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
My Dad can beat your Dad up. There. We are done. Please stop bickering like kids in the backseat of a 1960's station wagon.

Your dad will need to exhume my dad if he's going to pummel him......might be more trouble than he wants or needs....

But the point that las was being taken to task for is still quite defensible especially considering that this thread was started around a cartridge which is hardly a contender for being in top-three contention as "the best" (arguably). (I will admit that I love my 6.5 Swede M70 anyway.)

I'd rather excoriate las for shooting a 17" barreled 30-06, but he likes it, so who am I to say what's good for him? wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I won't fault Canazes. Anyone can have a bad day. I personally look forward to much of what he says and the angle that he does know the man knows very well. Trying to blend those lines into Las's world sure isn't going to go well though. Lol

For anyone who's been in Las's shoes however, it is an uncomplicated form of getting it 100% done and often with ease. Las likely lives in wooded terrain such as I. I've killed freezers apon freezers full of game with loads that I never Chronoed. For the last 10 years or so however a good buddy brings his chrono to the range and chronoes some of my loads for me. Funny thing is I already pretty much had my velocities pegged based on trajectory that I had recorded. I haven't put anymore game in the freezer either.

As far as shooting long range? I've got a load I've been stretching out to 700 yds with a 143 eld. According to trajectory I'm pushing that load about 2780 ish. When I put it to the chrono I'll bet I'm within 20 fps. For the record I do intend to buy a chrono this year but only for the sake of useing recorded velocity as a pressure indicator as Mule deer often points out.

With that said I do love my 6.5X55 swede. I've just ordered 100 more Lapua brass and 300 147 Eld-M Hornady's to give a try.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Trystan
I won't fault Canazes. Anyone can have a bad day. I personally look forward to much of what he says and the angle that he does know the man knows very well. Trying to blend those lines into Las's world sure isn't going to go well though. Lol

Trystan

Can't imagine you typing that with a straight face.......WOW

IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,766
Posts18,515,376
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.