Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ltppowell: My friends and I were staying on a smaller commercial fishing boat off of Kodiak and Afognak Islands for a week and the fresh caught barbecued Halibut Cheeks were simply outstanding!
I had never eaten these Halibut Cheeks before - sublime!
We were sport fishing and caught fresh King Salmon (both white and orange fleshed species) as well as Halibut and Crab!
We also had fresh Shrimp on board as appetizers.
I must have gained 10 pounds that week - if we weren't fishing we were eating fresh seafood - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Can't wait to do that trip again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not even sure where to go with this. We have people speaking of "Grandma" and showing an assortment of Yoga pants camels that somehow just don't fit in the same thread. smile

I'll go with eland ribeyes over the coals with a cold Tusker in safari camp.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Back cod at Rasika restaurant in Washington DC

Unagi at Shiros in Seattle

grilled oysters in New Orleans

khachi Pori in Georgian restaurant in Moscow

lobster bisque up in Maine.

Canadian shore lunch fried walleye, hashbrowns, fried bannock bread, green beans, leinis beer

And of course any back strap from deer, elk or moose

Last edited by ribka; 05/17/17.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
lobster in Hawaii

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
As others have said, it's hard to choose but two that jump out at me:

As a kid, moose steak seasoned with salt and pepper only.

As an adult, antelope back strap. That is delicious!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Forgot this one. My great-grandmother used to make homemade noodles. I can remember helping her a number of times. Rolling them out, sitting them on linen towels, folding them over and cutting thin strips of noodles. Make chicken and noodles with them and they were phenomenal.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think my best meal ever was elk tenderloin cooked on an open fire. I think it had as much to do with the fact that I was dog ass tired and hadn't eaten all day after hiking out that it tasted so ridiculously good.

I think in a more standard situation, lobster is the best thing I have ever eaten.

Agree. Years ago me and a bud killed my first bow elk and cooked the tenderloin that night caveman style and it was incredible.

I keep seeing posts like this. Every time we've tried to eat meat that has not gone out of rigor yet, its tasted ok, but been very tough. And I prefer to have my meat on the rare side of rare FWIW....

I"ll never try wild game ever again, IE deer/moose etc... unless its been aged at least 48 hours preferably 10 days or more depending...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
[Linked Image]

Hmmmmm.....the one on the upper left looks vaguely familiar. Now, let's see..........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pizza and Lemon Meringue Pie
best drink was well water from the place where my kids grew up

most fun might be fresh caribou around an Alaskan camp fire

Last edited by Ringman; 05/17/17.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Crispy duck at Crescent City Brewhouse in New Orleans. I went back two years later and ordered it again, and it was still the best thing I've ever tasted.

The crawfish pie at Stinky's outside of Destin Florida can come close though.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I had a bison prime rib steak at a place called the powder house in the black hills, 2008 or 2009 I think.

That's the first thing that comes to mind with the question from the OP.

I took a picture of it.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without a doubt Grandma's fried chicken Sunday dinner. Never been so satisfied since.

Honorable mentions to fresh: ripe white peach off the tree, snook, dungeons crab.
Had some exceptional dinners in Switzerland and Germany.
Lastly, KFC after living off the land in Kauai' for 3 plus weeks.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To many choices, but oysters Kilpatrick comes readily to mind !

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lot's of great choices mentioned. Two of my favorites: 1. Shrimp and cheese grits and 2. Hog Snapper.

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Tied... Aged Filet Mignon cooked medium-rare, and/or vine ripened garden tomato sliced 3/4" thick on fresh bread with real mayo...
Just can't top this. Great choices.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by molly
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by molly
My Dads turtle soup..........

You ever try any food or southern fried chicken? smile

When I was a kid in the south, they served turtle soup in the local restaurants, and food too......................

Catfish and hush puppies is a close second............

I can handle good fried catfish and hushpuppies about 350 days a year. Fried crappie or speckled trout about 356 days a yeat. wink

But, i change my mind on the best tasting stuff to mangos, good fried oysters, and king crab. I never got good fried oysters in a resturant or from a supermarket. If they arent fresh from the bay (preferably Matagorda Bay) i can say most people dont know what good oysters are.

Fresh fried shrimp are a favorite, fried in cornmeal for about 1 minute. Most people overcook until they are a little tough and chewey. I never had good fried shrimp in a resturant, either.

I do detect the unusual taste it seems only lobster has but it has never done anything for me.

Otoh, i cant really tell if king or dungess are the best.

Lot of guys could have me put them on a bunch of wild hogs for those things, or smo k ed salmon .

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/17/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think my best meal ever was elk tenderloin cooked on an open fire. I think it had as much to do with the fact that I was dog ass tired and hadn't eaten all day after hiking out that it tasted so ridiculously good.

I think in a more standard situation, lobster is the best thing I have ever eaten.

Agree. Years ago me and a bud killed my first bow elk and cooked the tenderloin that night caveman style and it was incredible.

I keep seeing posts like this. Every time we've tried to eat meat that has not gone out of rigor yet, its tasted ok, but been very tough. And I prefer to have my meat on the rare side of rare FWIW....

I"ll never try wild game ever again, IE deer/moose etc... unless its been aged at least 48 hours preferably 10 days or more depending...

Jeff, ive gotten to where i dont even care for fresh doe tenderloin. I want it aged and aired out and then its great.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A meal I was privileged enough to enjoy many times: fresh elk tenderloin wrapped in home smoked bacon - served rare -with brookies caught fresh out of Big Blacktail creek and my mile-high buttermilk biscuits. Eaten around a huge campfire shared with 8-10 of the best people on planet earth.

Now, My chitty old knees won't let me go up and down the basement stairs let alone the Rockies. Make memories while you can!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will still take that apple pie finisher.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know how I had forgotten, but it came to me; pan fried quail by my Aunt Vera Jean,or a hot dog at the ball park, preferably a World Series from either behind/just off home or between home and first no deeper than 3rd row box seats. Fried eggs over easy, bacon, grits, all cut and mixed into one big plate of goodness.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.