-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is't that Timothy Treadwell? I thought he was bear poop.

[Linked Image from ]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'd have ass-shot it with my trusty 600 Dinosaur and then dragged his dead carcass out a few days later with my trusty school bus yellow Uberlaunch...after a friend climbed down the mountain and hooked him up for me and right before a couple of suckers bought some trusts and donated their kidneys. Then I'd have went home and took some sexy pics of my old lady posing in a bikini and posted them before I climbed aboard my (donated) Harley trike and did a couple of donuts.

grin

Good one! I almost miss that dork...

Almost.

Last edited by DocRocket; 12/02/17.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have used my bear spray from inside the tent...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by las

We have a saying up here: “A fed bear is a dead bear” , as they are highly intelligent eating machines, with all that implies. I’d bet that yo-yo in the video had food in the tent, present or past. Bear certainly seemed interested in that zipper - probably contaminated with food smell from hands or clothing.

Agreed, this guy is a yo-yo.

This bruin looks and acts like a young bear trying to figure out his way in the world. The tent appears to be pitched on cleared ground, which suggests a .gov campsite, which means people/food are there often. So this bear is already being habituated to people. He's too young to be a threat now, to this guy, but that will change unless he's taught not to go there.

Chase this little guy off with pepper spray and loud noise, and he'll learn to avoid campgrounds and people. But this videographer's behavior is neutral at best, and may be reinforcing habituated behavior, which may well lead to a problem bear that will need to be killed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DocRocket
This bruin looks and acts like a young bear trying to figure out his way in the world. The tent appears to be pitched on cleared ground, which suggests a .gov campsite, which means people/food are there often. So this bear is already being habituated to people. He's too young to be a threat now, to this guy, but that will change unless he's taught not to go there.

Chase this little guy off with pepper spray and loud noise, and he'll learn to avoid campgrounds and people. But this videographer's behavior is neutral at best, and may be reinforcing habituated behavior, which may well lead to a problem bear that will need to be killed.

This pretty much sums up my view. The bear is young, probably a 2 year old away from mom for the first time. It's small size and demeanor pretty much confirms this. These young bears can be very naive and trusting as they don't have the life experience to stay out of trouble. As they are at the bottom of the bear society totem pole, they are easily frightened and scared off. I would have watched the bear until it appeared to relax and then done my best to give it the scare of its life. I like to wait as I think a greater impression is left once the bear's guard is down. Let it think a scare can happen any time and it is more likely to avoid the situation. Acting as the guy in the video does can increase the likelihood of the bear becoming a problem in the future.

This is a common occurance at our cabin. I'll watch a new bear from the deck and if it ventures towards the buildings I'll give a shout and slap the side of the cabin to discourage it heading that way. A couple times of that is usually enough but I have pulled out the slingshot 2 or 3 times and firecrackers once with that last one being a slow learner. I am armed when I do this but never even felt close to needing to use a firearm on these young bears.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Windfall
WI. is full of bears and like DMc, we would go down to the dump to watch them at night back when they had good dumps instead of landfills. That one in the video is a typical camp raiding bear. We had one tear the top off our cooler and eat all the food for the weekend and drink all the soda. Never touched the beer though. That bear should be relocated, not shot. I had a big one follow me to my bow stand like a beagle on a rabbit and it gave me the feeling that I wasn't on the top of the food chain when it stood at the base of my tree and looked up at me. Later I remembered that I'd worn the same camo pants when I dressed out two bears that my buddies had shot the week before. I don't have much use for bears myself. Kind of like overgrown raccoons.

Relocating bears does not work for very long. The length of time it works is determined by the distance they have been moved.

F&G here has relocated black bear many times. Practically everyone returns to the area in which they were captured.
Relocating a bear depends entirely on where said bear is removed to. If it's removed to your freezer, it works 100%.

There is that!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
IIRC, one black bear ADF&G relocated from near McCarthy up here was moved about 60 miles away by helicopter. He was back 3 days later...

This was a program to promote moose calf survival during calving time, relocating as many bears (excepting sows with cubs), as they could in the designated study area. About twice what they thought they had... I don't recall for sure if it worked or not. I think it did, but expensive.

I wonder where that bear kept his GPS..... smile

Last edited by las; 12/02/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do you mean McGrath?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just a curious, young bear... Spray him? Maybe. Shoot him? No.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DMc
When I was a little tyke, my fam was making a drive through Yellowstone Nat'l Park. Mom got out of the car to film a moose with her 8mm camera. One of those handheld camera's with 3 lens built onto the front of the camera that you could twist to change focal lengths. So my dad yells at my mom that she's getting a bit too close to the moose. She pay's him no mind. Looking through the lens of one of those antique camera's, everything looks much further away. Anyway Dad climbs out of the car and starts walking toward her. Finally she turns around and screams. A bear climbed into the backseat of our car and took a package of potato chips out of my hand, as both my mother and father ran screaming and hollering toward the car. The bear scurried off with my bag of chips. My sister was alone in the front seat. Neither of us were frightened, just surprised, however no one exited the car again before leaving the park.

In the mid 1950's my parents bought the Evergreen Lodge in W. Yellowstone, MT. We had a bear that would come to our back door and beg for Orange soda pop. You'd hand the bear the opened pop bottle and it'd stand on it's hind legs, guzzle down the whole soda pop, then saunter off.

In those days we had to take our own trash to the local dump. There were always bears at the dump. My most vivid recollection was an albino bear we'd see there. White as snow. My dad would make molotov cocktails to scare the bears away so we could safely empty our trash.

The good ole days...

DMc : )

LOL That bear looks and acts like one I once saw my grandma chase off the porch of her cabin with a broom and a foul mouth.

The best bear story I have ever heard though, is from before my dad was drafted and deployed to the South Pacific in WWII, he was working for a civilian contractor for the Army on the Alaska highway. They built and moved a tent town along as the highway progressed. When we used to watch M*A*S*H* on tv, he said that base looked sort of like what they were moving. There were a lot of bears he said, so their trash dump was always a few miles from camp and one of his jobs was hauling the trash out to it in a dump truck. He said they seldom got out of the truck because the dumps were always teaming with bears. This one time him and this other fellow were pulling back into base and saw several people running off. My dad and his passenger kept looking out the windows and around trying to figure out what was spooking people. They didn't figure it out till they parked the truck, and just as my dad rounded the corner behind the truck three big bears jumped out of the dump bed of the truck -- they had hauled trash to the dump and bears back to camp. He laughed when he told me that story and added, "We sure coulda used your grandma and her broom there that day".

Last edited by Jacques_La_Rami; 12/02/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by las

We have a saying up here: “A fed bear is a dead bear” , as they are highly intelligent eating machines, with all that implies. I’d bet that yo-yo in the video had food in the tent, present or past. Bear certainly seemed interested in that zipper - probably contaminated with food smell from hands or clothing.

Agreed, this guy is a yo-yo.

Doc, it looked like a big mean dangerous 200 lb black to me. Just sayin.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not hardly, sir. Having a bit more experience with bears in the wild than you, which is entirely due to my northern mountain upbringing, and not to any moral superiority, I would ask you to defer to that experience as well as that of some others here on the 24 HCF and hold your fire, my friend!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
You bet, spooky deal all around, another reason I carry a sidearm when bowhunting anymore.

I bet Gunner! And a experience I had with a mountain lion is the reason I don't bow hunt anywhere in the lower 48 without my Glock 20 10mm on my hip.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx
20 yards was close enough for me back in the 90's elk hunting out in Colo Jag, hit him in his left eye with my bow as he kept advancing forward, I couldn't run him off, I have no experience around bears, and that was by-god close enough.

I had a similar and fatal, for the bear, encounter in that country with with a bow while hunting elk about 7 years ago. Now i carry when in that country and shine ahead for eyes when walking trails or logging roads out after dark. If it can happen with a bear it can happen with a cat. wink

Yup, check them trees too. eek grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
You bet, spooky deal all around, another reason I carry a sidearm when bowhunting anymore.

I bet Gunner! And a experience I had with a mountain lion is the reason I don't bow hunt anywhere in the lower 48 without my Glock 20 10mm on my hip.

You bet CHLI, two leggers anymore can be more of a threat than wildlife!

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

344 members (163bc, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 35 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,333
Posts18,505,972
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.