Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Always seemed to me that Easter was really more important than Christmas, as it's the actual reason for the whole business.

Need the birth and the death to set up the Resurrection.

All are important. The Resurrection is the crown jewel, no doubt.

A side note: study Agape, that Divine Love, expressed by God becoming man to die in our place, a ransom for our sin. Satan could not defeat Agape, although he gave it his best shot. Because he was self centered and arrogant, Agape was foreign to him. To die for another, to humble oneself in service to another is Agape.

The natural mind can't understand it thru logic. Only the regenerated, Spiritual man can get a glimpse of Agape. St. Paul expresses it much better than I ever could: 1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV) For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

That's strong; meditate on the Word.

You guys have a wonderous and blessed Easter.

DF

Yes, love can overcome Satan. Thus He said, above all things, love one another. The hardest commandment.

. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no Law.…

Self-control, the aspect in whether a believer chooses his own way, or Gods way? Proof of who rules one, the Father or the Flesh.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/31/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Indeed!

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Always seemed to me that Easter was really more important than Christmas, as it's the actual reason for the whole business.

For three centuries it definitely was. Jesus's birth day was not even celebrated. Finally, the church decided to create a holiday honoring Jesus's birth. Unfortunately, by that time, they had no idea when that had occurred. They picked December 25 in order to co-opt a pagan Roman holiday that occurred at the same time.

We have a pretty good idea that the first Easter occurred on April 3but don't know whether it was 30 AD or 33 AD. The reason the date changes every year is because the Jews and the Middle East in general used a lunar calendar instead of the solar calendar(s) that the Romans used. The Moslems still use a lunar calendar.

Anyway, Happy Easter, everyone.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Amen

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

For three centuries it definitely was. Jesus's birth day was not even celebrated. Finally, the church decided to create a holiday honoring Jesus's birth. Unfortunately, by that time, they had no idea when that had occurred. They picked December 25 in order to co-opt a pagan Roman holiday that occurred at the same time.

We have a pretty good idea that the first Easter occurred on April 3but don't know whether it was 30 AD or 33 AD. The reason the date changes every year is because the Jews and the Middle East in general used a lunar calendar instead of the solar calendar(s) that the Romans used. The Moslems still use a lunar calendar.

Anyway, Happy Easter, everyone.

Actually the same dubious timing was also applied to the western church's observance of Easter which ought to be attached to the timing of Passover rather than the spring solstice...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Universe appears to operate on two Divine Laws.... God’s Justice - as ye sow ye shall surely reap - and God’s Infinite Mercy.

These appear to be incompatible, but we can witness both of them throughout our lives.

What appears to happen is that, in the final analysis, God’s mercy trumps His Justice.

Jesus is the embodiment of that.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AMEN

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
God, be merciful to me, a sinner.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

Crazy thing is how this under emphasis upon God’s righteous anger for sin also cheapens grace...

Hadn't thought of it in that way, but I think you're spot on. To be able to appreciate the value of grace and the sacrifice Jesus made of Himself, we need to be able to appreciate the enormity of God's wrath. In truth, I don't think we are capable of that. At least I'm not. Backing away from that a bit, trying to comprehend God's love for what He created in His own image and the lengths He has gone to in order to salvage it...it's just overwhelming. I wish there was a way to make everyone understand this.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

He's Alive!
Happy Easter to you all.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite Bible scripture is Luke 23:39-43. While I certainly do not believe one should wait until the last moment to be saved, as we never know when that last moment will be, it shows that no matter how hopeless our situation may be, it is never too late to ask God's forgiveness.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jaguartx
. 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no Law.…

Here's a neat way to remember the 9 Fruit of the Spirit.

Everyone remembers Love, Joy and Peace. The next six can be remembered as a "package of figs", (PKG, FGS).

PKG, patience, kindness, goodness.

FGS, faithfulness, gentleness and selfcontrol.

DF

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
that quick & easy stuff seems like it was lifted from something john calvin might have said, that is:TULIP.

anyone interested will go to the extra effort to look it up on the internet. it's all there for discussion.

the first black tulip was identified or recognized not many years ago. but now they're common.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My favorite Bible scripture is Luke 23:39-43. While I certainly do not believe one should wait until the last moment to be saved, as we never know when that last moment will be, it shows that no matter how hopeless our situation may be, it is never too late to ask God's forgiveness.

All the rapists and serial killers on death row seem to like that one also.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As do thieves on crosses.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?

41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

My own favorite passage as well.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Happy Resurrection Day y'all!

And to you as well!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence?

[b]41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”[/b]

My own favorite passage as well.

to help all of us neophytes out there who are struggling along, can someone help us with identifying the exact crimes that justify death on a cross? seriously, a lot of folks want to know. if we can bring back such a justice system, might it be a good thingy to do?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Yeah them too. They all go to heaven.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Yeah them too. They all go to heaven.

Travis

Well, one for sure...

DF

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (AB2506, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 21, 8 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,895
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.