Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I'm a Vet, but I've never used the VA.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might consider AF Metrology, that is Not meterology. AF career in it and multiple areas to work when you get out. I was fortunate to get into it and enjoyed almost everything. Get the field in which you are enlisting in writing. If he enlists tell him to get in the habit of keeping copies of personell actions and in particular everthing for which he gets medical treatment. Having said all that a commision is far better than an enlistment, primarily from a financial aspect. I turned down a commision twice and never regretted it until my first retirement check. The AF was good to me and my family.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Signed up for delayed enlistment on Nov 24,1976 to get the Vietnam era GI Bill. Came from a family of 12, so college wasn’t in the cards.

Was enlisted for nearly 10 years and an officer (USAF Civil engineer) for almost 32 years now.

Almost 16 years active, 9 inactive reserve, 10 in the USAF reserve and the rest in the Air Guard.

I’ve held three commands, one while deployed to northern Iraq.

Was selected for another promotion, but I’m an old man, and it’s time to let the young guys and gals have their time.

I relinquish command and retire on August 11, 2018. What’s that? 18 more days. I’m looking forward to it.

Wouldn’t trade a day.

It’s been a blessing, and the only people on the face of the earth I am even remotely jealous of are kids like your son, who are just starting their journey.

It’ll be what he makes out of it. Let it be an adventure.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being a vet myself, and knowing many other veterans, I'd never try to dissuade anyone from serving in the military.
I've often said of my service that I wouldn't do it again for a million bucks, but I wouldn't trade the experience for 10 million either.
It's not an easy thing to do, most worthwhile things aren't. But it's what it does for you that far outweigh the few drawbacks.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by okie
Our youngest had a year in college then went into the AF. Had high ASVAB scores and got the job she wanted. She got out last year and is working as a Cardiac/respiratory therapist doing very well for herself....

Last weekend in September. I miss you guys.

I"ll check the calender...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's hard at 17 to know what you want to be in 20 years. It's important to pick an MOS that will translate directly into a job when he get's out. Anymore it makes sense to stay in for the 20 then go directly into a civilian job. Maybe FAA, or Radiology, respitory thereapist, keep the education going the whole time. I have a friend who was a Ranger and went right into civil service, then retired with three retirements, military, CIvil Service, and Social Security. He and his wife live well. It used to be do what you like and you never work a day in your life. Now it's find a job that makes a lot of money and stick it out, being careful and save money for retirement. I doubt there will be many pensions after all that time.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Nebraska
My 17 year old is weighing college, trade schools or military service after high school and seems to be leaning towards the military so I'd appreciate hearing the pros/cons on your experience with the different branches. Also, any advice on what to consider before/when signing the contract are also appreciated. BTW - thank you in advance for your service!

Air force, Navy, Coast Guard...I spent 6 yrs. in the navy...I got to see all of the scitthole countries that Trump talks about....most were fun, others, not so much, but I always had a dry bed....while the army and marine corps. might seem like a good idea they're not... If you can talk him into it, I'd suggest a trade school (welding/fabrication)...
FWIW, I'd do it all again

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a new retirement system in place now. Blended retirement it has replaced the high 3 system. It's a good system for those youngsters who only do a few yrs and ets. Far as what service I'm in the Army I always tell people looking at joining, join the Airforce the standard of living is definitely a lot better. But if you want to get promoted join the Army come in as a combat arms guy. Also the whole transgender thing all but a mute point now. Anyhow join do 3yrs yeah a guy like me will bug them to stay in but do 3 get out and go to college.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Did 6.5 years active duty Army and 21 years Army National Guard. First 3 years were enlisted as a Track Mechanic.
After a 9 year break I joined the Army National Guard and received a direct commission as a Warrant Officer. In Tank
Automotive Maintenance, plus much latter the Army also added Ordinance Officer. Bottom line is its easier to get rank in
the Army but living conditions are not as good. Lots of people get to be Warrant Officers flying helicopters. Saw mostly
deserts and jungles in my career. I liked the Guard because you could have a civilian job at the same time. Getting called
up in the Guard is no if but when.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My son wants me to sign him over to the Marine Corps this year but I'm reluctant to do so. The experiences I had with ultra-young enlistees weren't good. They typically lose their minds and spend every cent and fall in love with souvenir's.

Personally I think a year or two on your own (between living with mom and dad and enlisting) is greatly beneficial. It allows a young man to be wild without the concerns of alcoholic related incidents and all the other very strict rules that come with being an enlisted kid overseas. It is not your grandpappy's service. Nobody will laugh off your blacking out and getting into a fight at the e-club.

The absolute smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do is go to college, and then when they're done go in to become an officer.

The 2nd smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do, is join the Coast Guard. They are a highly underrated organization and perform real world tasks on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
My son wants me to sign him over to the Marine Corps this year but I'm reluctant to do so. The experiences I had with ultra-young enlistees weren't good. They typically lose their minds and spend every cent and fall in love with souvenir's.

Personally I think a year or two on your own (between living with mom and dad and enlisting) is greatly beneficial. It allows a young man to be wild without the concerns of alcoholic related incidents and all the other very strict rules that come with being an enlisted kid overseas. It is not your grandpappy's service. Nobody will laugh off your blacking out and getting into a fight at the e-club.

The absolute smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do is go to college, and then when they're done go in to become an officer.

The 2nd smartest thing a kid that wants to serve could do, is join the Coast Guard. They are a highly underrated organization and perform real world tasks on a daily basis.

I think someone hacked deflave account.. maybe it was his wife???? This is the most sane post he's ever made..

Last edited by 79S; 07/24/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I agree a year to 2 after high school helps. I went one year to college before 3 years in the Army.
the more mature you are the better. I almost went Coast Guard, it was my second choice. But
that's water under the bridge. We had the youngest kid in our unit shoot it out with some Insurgents
in Iraq one day and get a Bronze Star the next day told his platoon sergeant he didn,t have follow his orders
anymore. Next day he had one less stripe than he had before. Just immature.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S

I think someone hacked deflave account.. maybe it was his wife???? This is the most sane post he's ever made..

I can't get drunk in Florida. I sweat everything out just walking to the garbage can.

Kinda boring.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Pick something with trade potential or something he/she might enjoy. Any of the branches can be a great place to learn a lot of life's lessons, earn a little money with few real expenses, and figure out what one wants to do with the rest of ones life. Came out of high school here, did 4 years in Navy aviation that I greatly enjoyed leaving as an E5, the GI bill paid for 1 and 1/2 college degrees, I got an assistantship for a third, and I retired at 62 with 32 years in the equation because my service time counted. There is no real reason to rush through life, especially if one has not settled on a direction yet.

Been trying to encourage my son to take a similar route, as he is pretty much a lost sheep at picking a direction in life.

I would have considered the military as a career had one a little more say in selecting duty stations. A few local kids have taken the career route and are in mos's that
are putting out serious cash for reenlistments. If anywhere near frugal, they can easily retire when they wrap up.

Good luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 07/25/18.

1Minute
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Air Force or Navy as an Aircraft Mechanic, ATC.
Coast Guard too maybe also I have NO experience/knowledge there.

Whatever you do pick and require guaranteed school that will translate to the outside world.

Airborne Ranger sounds real cool to a youngster and is KEWL, but not a career unless you stay in and never in the best of living conditions.
Grab all the civilian applicable training you can and especially if ya stay for 20.
17-18 plus 20 is only 38. Plenty of time for a second career while collecting a retirement.
Just an opinion mind you and we all know about Opinions.

Year or two learning what grown-ups do first before any choices are made will not be a bad choice either.
Lots of good paying jobs after trade school also.

MAYBE THE MANTRA SHOULD BE . . . DON'T RUSH INTO ANY CHOICE

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Join the Navy, see the world.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Have him choose something that won't ruin his health before he is 40..
If he wants to go into the Military, find something that he can do for 20 years, then use his training to find a second career afterwards.

Some personalities works inside the Military, some absolutely do not!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of good advice but certain cautions.

Join whichever service he likes AND will give him in writing his MOS of choice. Double check what that MOS actually is on google versus what the recruiter says.

They will try and get him to sign that day when he goes to MEPPS and tell him only available now. IF not what he wants have him tell them he will take a later class date and go home. Do not sign that day unless 100% sure that is what he wants. Do your research on MOS before he goes to MEPPS

More importantly, once in and out of training tell him to hit the local education center and take every College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test he can and end of course tests. There are 33 different CLEP tests that offer up to 3 hours each. I have seen guys get an associates in 4 months just doing that. I accumulated over 90 hours doing that myself. When he gets out, he can start at least as a junior in college.

Second most important thing is tell him to start the TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) immediately. The military matches 100% dollar for dollar up to 3% of his pay and 50% after that up to 5% of basic pay. It is great 401 and he can take it with him later and transfer once out to standard IRA. At his age, if he gets out and just lets that accumulate with no other contributions until 60 he will be millionaire when he retires.

Do the early enlistment where he enlists and stays in reserves until he reports for active duty. That time for pay accumulates and gives him more money when he goes in ahead of everyone else.

Get him setup once enlists with USAA for insurance and banking. They refund his ATM fees.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 07/25/18.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A lot of good advise in this thread.

Myself, Served a 5.5 year enlistment in the Marine Corps as a helicopter mechanic. Loved it. My MOS was transitioned into the V-22. That was a NO-GO for me and there was no boat spaces left for any other helicopter platforms I wanted, so I got out. I was immediately picked up by a helicopter OEM on terminal leave. Been working for them for the last ten years. I have traveled the world and enjoy my line of work. It pays well and there are many opportunities for growth.

I tried to join the USCG (aviation) and was rejected at MEPS because of a minor food allergy. The USAF seems too easy and the Army I saw around me was full of dumbasses and pedos. (grew up near JBLM) The USN recruiter didn't know anything about aviation MOS options and I don't shoot a 270... wink

That left the Marines. One of the best decisions of my life.

The point folks have made about going in as an Officer is a good one to look into. That will be the direction I point my sons. It gives them a chance to grow up a bit before the enter the service. If they are still committed to joining after two years of college there are programs that will allow them to join the services and finish their degree while the service pays for it. Kind of like the GI Bill upfront. I do not know all the details but have had some friends do it this way. Saved them tons of money and the went to OCS and TBS in the summer when college was not in session. Officer or enlisted it seems it would be easier to get a degree done upfront that try to do it later after getting out of the service. At least that has been my experience.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I went into the military after college...

My undergrad degree was in Pre Law, and then got accepted to several Law Schools.. Univ of Va, William and Mary, and Georgetown....then I pissed my parents off ( who are military)... and went into the Army, who had the best medical programs at the time...I went full boat with what they offered.. after 91B and 91C, I was offered PA School at Ft Bliss TX or they would put me thru a Civilian Program at the University of Washington...I was signed up for that, and working as a Nurse at the Univ of Wash Hosp, waiting for the next PA class to start... then did the dumbest thing of my life... dropped out and got married....switching to the Reserves....

My time in the Army, I was highly trained in the medical field...worked as a nurse but then got into Medical Sales as it paid much better....finally wound up in Cardiology which I loved... worked for companies, that were on cutting edge technology so I was selling products and scrubbing in to surgical cases at teaching hospitals, almost 5 days a week. wonderful experience and very rewarding... all because of my Army Medical Experience...

Should have stayed in the Reserves, and should have taken a commission which was offered many times...regret no doing so now... not for anything but missing the experiences it would have offered... I just got tired of the morons who work for the Reserves and Guard full time, who are too stupid in most instances to hold a real job in the real world...at least the enlisted ones it seems..

I went medical corps strictly because I had two instances in college where I was the first on scene at car accidents and couldn't save someone's life as I didn't know what to do... after the second, my mind was quickly made up... most empty feeling I've ever had....The military will give access to medical training far beyond what you can usually find in the civilian world....

That's my point to pass on... but then again, I am in the minority that believes that there should be compulsory military service for any able bodied young man....would make the country stronger and we'd have a lot less snowflake and Antifa pukes on the street corners bad mouthing our nation....teaching them a work ethic....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 50 invisible), 3,157 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,660
Posts18,534,038
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.