Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I used a Randall #10 saltwater with a 5" blade on two deer this year still very sharp, the handale was a little slick. John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm gonna' join this thread in two separate posts...

First, re the Edgepro:

In our shop we have both Wilton and Bader professional class grinders, and My Grandpa-in-law has a 2005 Tormec. With that over $5,000 in tools available to me, I firmly believe the Edgepro is the cat's azz.

DMB if you are looking hard at the edgepro the only stones you really need are the 180/220, the 320 and then skip to the 600. This will cover everything you should need to do. I keep messsing around with the polishing tapes up to a 3000grit to humor myself but reality indicates the 600 is plenty sharp.

I agree with the 600 as the finishing stone on the likes of D2 and S30V. On the coarse end I do not agree that the 220 (the 180 is no longer offered) is adequate. If any reprofiling of the blade is required the 120 is a must. Or, one should order a couple of blank rods and mount DMT XX diamond or Norton coarse stones to them for the reprofiling chores.

Are the stones Diamond, or regular Arkansas?
I have diamond stones with the Lansky, as I think they remove steel faster than the regular ones.

The Edge Pro uses synthetic water stones - silicon carbide in the coarse and aluminum oxide in the others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Secondly. I'd offer some comments on David Boye. It was Boye knives that started my interest in alloys some decades ago. I have had 5 of his knives and currently have a BDS folder and a BDC basic and BDS custom dropped edge fixed blade.

IMO David was a pioneer and is a legend, as well as a hell of a nice guy. That said, My personal opinion is that the dendritic steels have been surpassed today by the CPMs and certain of the Japanese or Euro alloys. That David's son-in-law William "Matt" Conable, the "William" in William Henry knives uses ZDP in his folders, and his fan/disciple (and my favorite knifemaker) Phil Wilson uses primarily CPMs should be evidence of that.

I last spoke with David 2 years or so ago and at that time he was only making his boat knife folders, having ceded his designs and shop to Francine Larstein. I've read online since then that he may make the odd custom for folks, but that is generally rare.

If one REALLY likes David's designs, and wishes them, PLUS the advantage of today's steels I'd offer that Phil Wilson uses the same super thin flat grinds that were the real "secret" behind Boye knive's cutting ability, in combo with the highest tech steels available...and Charles Marlowe offers the classic "dropped edge" Boye signature design, also in CPM S30V....

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have been using Bob Ball's knives for a few years, but got a new one, so I think it is fair to call it a new product review.

Robert Ball, Knifemaker

His three and four-fingered skinner designs are really about as functional as I can imagine a good knife being. I have BG42, 440C and an S30V examples and have been extremely happy with them. The 440C is something Bob has moved away from completely these days.

I used two to completely reduce BW's sheep, several deer, a day cutting moose and grayling's caribou. At the end of it all the knives were in need of sharpening, but still nearly functional. I like my knives much sharper and will not try that test again, but I have never seen a knife that would keep an edge that long... or even close.

His bolsters are undercut and perfectly alilgned and his prices are well in line with many makers without bolsters.

For the money I have not seen a knife that will run with his utility knives and his fancy stuff is pretty stinking fine!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I'm gonna' join this thread in two separate posts...

First, re the Edgepro:

In our shop we have both Wilton and Bader professional class grinders, and My Grandpa-in-law has a 2005 Tormec. With that over $5,000 in tools available to me, I firmly believe the Edgepro is the cat's azz.

DMB if you are looking hard at the edgepro the only stones you really need are the 180/220, the 320 and then skip to the 600. This will cover everything you should need to do. I keep messsing around with the polishing tapes up to a 3000grit to humor myself but reality indicates the 600 is plenty sharp.

I agree with the 600 as the finishing stone on the likes of D2 and S30V. On the coarse end I do not agree that the 220 (the 180 is no longer offered) is adequate. If any reprofiling of the blade is required the 120 is a must. Or, one should order a couple of blank rods and mount DMT XX diamond or Norton coarse stones to them for the reprofiling chores.

Are the stones Diamond, or regular Arkansas?
I have diamond stones with the Lansky, as I think they remove steel faster than the regular ones.

The Edge Pro uses synthetic water stones - silicon carbide in the coarse and aluminum oxide in the others.

Thanks for the info on the Edge Pro. I'm seriously looking at the Australian made sharpening system WMacD mentioned. It is a high class system that is well designed and made.
When I finish a knife, and am ready to sharpen it, I knock the square edge off the blade where the edge bevel starts on a grinder, so I don't have to do all of that work on the Lansky. Just saves time and effort. I start with the coarsest diamond stone in the Lansky to get a good edge bevel profile, then work down through the grits to the finish stone. Keeping that edge bevel flat, on both sides, is so important for a good edge.
I have a Bader grinder I bought 27 years ago, that has a 2 1/2HP motor on it, and all I gotta say is that it is a horse. I have two other grinders that were made up for just doing flat work, and another set up for slack belt sanding, for handles. The platen grinder has an 18" platen that can be rotated from horizontal to vertical and set at all angles in between. It sees lots of use.
Thanks for your input on the Dendritic vs S30V. That good to know.
Phil Wilson did several articles on S30V years ago in Blade Magazine. As a result, I started using it too. I know the edges on S30V blades are excellent, I just hadn't figured out which steel was best for edge holding, it, or Dendritic. David has his picture with one of his knives after cutting 3000 pieces of 1" hemp rope, without having to resharpen it, that impressed me much. David's wife is from Flint, MI, and is a really nice gal to talk to as I always wound up talking to her when I made an order for his blanks.
You're right about David being a pioneer in his line of work. I felt he never got the credit he deserved. David is one very bright guy. And, his father was tug Boat Captain.. grin
The first knife I ground in 1980 was on a Wilton Square Wheel.

Take care,

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Art what model of his do you have in S30V? I see a lot of BG 42 on his site and 440. I like his "my knife" for a big skinner and his 4 finger skinner with the clip point. How big is the LB&T small enough to be a caper or is it a little long? He really doesn't tell you how big they are on the site.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dean
His three finger skinner is the one I have in S30V and Riley has the four finger with a slightly increased drop point in BG42.

The trout and bird knife I have is shorter, a little pointier and a little straighter on the edge than his usual run and it is about perfect IME&O for a caper. His regular LB&T could use a little trimming to be perfect for my taste, but his responses from users tell him they like it that way. I know I could easily make it work... But I am a bit fussy that way!

Give him a call and talk to him... he will give you whatever you need for numbers.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for the unfancy crowd:
my kershaw echo fixed blade worked well - again.
odd looking to some folks, but comes to hand so nicely. takes and keeps a nice edge. for $30 or so, hard to beat ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have picked up several knives this past year in the $50 to $100 range, including Buck's Alaskan Guide in S30V. My biggest suprise is the Stanley heavy folder with German 440SS. Very tight and sharp for $18 at SMKW. A great tool box and work knife that will backup any hunter blade. I ordered some more for gifts.
Good luck.

George

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Late to get in on this, but anybody got reports on 52100 steel. Just looking for guys that use knives and know makers that are familiar to this steel. I forge a good bit and am generally biased toward carbon steel O1 being my pick. Although I bought a EDC with s30v and like it a lot for edge retention, If it wasn't air hardening I would make up a few in it.

Sorry for the hijack.

What does it mean when the primers fall out of the case?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.