Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by deflave
LT,

Is that a constant or do they just do that for PR events?

I think I've only been around one and he was wearing some stupid ass 1911 in a Yaqui or similar.

It's for show. Why else would anyone carry a 1911 in the 21st century?

Because they have dignity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the time I was on active duty with the Coast Guard we were using the Beretta 92. I got state certified and started working as a reserve officer with Harrison County MS. We were allowed to carry whatever we wanted to within certain parameters. I went with a 9mm 92 (in stainless because I worked with their marine division) Not because I thought the 92 was superior or the 9mm better, but because it made sense from a muscle memory/familiarity standpoint to keep things consistent. I still have that 92 as my primary "service sized" sidearm. I have found that my Ruger SR22 goes with me more than anything else as I am out and about.

We went from the 45 when I first entered the CG to the 9 and then just as I was getting out we went to the 40. I only went to one qualifying session with it. I have never been top gun at the range, but I did as well with it as I did the 9. I generally do better with milder recoiling handguns. I think most folks do. Given the same exact gun, one in 40, and one in 9 most people will put more rounds on target with the 9. That's what the FBI learned. Given that, the efficacy of modern 9 bullets and the increased capacity (it matters because 70-80% of shots officers fire miss the mark) the move back to the 9 is a good decision.

Someone mentioned women shooters earlier. Many really struggled with the Beretta. It's a really large gun, and people with smaller hands really struggled to control it. I can't quantify it either, but the muzzle flip on it seemed more pronounced than other similar weight 9s.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cs2blue
The multi caliber/ gun option is the way to go. I attended a training with a fellow LE from San Diego County Sheriffs office ,his department had three caliber options and five handgun options. I thought that was awesome. he carried a Sig 220 with 6 spare mags. He was a big guy so weight was not problem. He was very confident with his choice.

Ummm, NO.

SDSO carried S&W 66 .357's till 1991 when they transitioned to the Glock 22 .40 cal. That is still the ONLY handgun authorized to this day.

SDPD on the other hand allows for officers to choose from a few different pistols.

SDSO '79-'04

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCS271
Originally Posted by cs2blue
The multi caliber/ gun option is the way to go. I attended a training with a fellow LE from San Diego County Sheriffs office ,his department had three caliber options and five handgun options. I thought that was awesome. he carried a Sig 220 with 6 spare mags. He was a big guy so weight was not problem. He was very confident with his choice.

Ummm, NO.

SDSO carried S&W 66 .357's till 1991 when they transitioned to the Glock 22 .40 cal. That is still the ONLY handgun authorized to this day.

SDPD on the other hand allows for officers to choose from a few different pistols.

SDSO '79-'04

Yeah, but what do you know about that?

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Sycamore
seem like a lot of .40 on sale as used police turn ins.

Sycamore

You're not exactly Mr. Current Events are you?

Ha that’s pretty much what I thought seems this has been going on for quite a while.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by moosemike
LT,

I think I've only been around one and he was wearing some stupid ass 1911 in a Yaqui or similar.

Trying to recall the name of the Texas Ranger who was asked, “ Why do you pack a.45”?
His answer:
“Because they don’t make a .46”.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by moosemike
LT,

Trying to recall the name of the Texas Ranger who was asked, “ Why do you pack a.45”?
His answer:
“Because they don’t make a .46”.

Gonzales...he may have been Irish

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 45 Colt auto and a Browning HI-Power in 40 caliber.
The Browning came from a PD,years ago,never shot more than one box.
Like them both even if the Browning is only a 10 rounder.

Wife likes the HI-Power as well.
Sure don't want her shooting at me with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suppose to some degree it's like a favorite rifle caliber that you've carried hunting and been successful with. Confidence is a big factor. I never had a lot of confidence in the 9 (my CG unit gave up our .45s in 1987 and got the 9mm) My off duty carry is a Sig 239 in 9mm. I was carrying that before the transition to the 40 and didn't switch largely because I couldn't justify the expense. We buy our own off duty guns. I've seen the 9mm come up short. I've carried and used the 40. It's earned my confidence. I'd carry my Sig 220 if I could but unfortunately that's not an option. I understand caliber is sometimes a personal choice. I'm not against the 9, it's just not my choice. Hell, I understand some guys even hunt with a .270!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

why ? 40's rock..........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
.40's are fine but in a light gun like a Glock they are fairly snappy. I think 9mm's are a bit easier to shoot accurately and the same size gun will hold more rounds in 9mm.

After looking at data from different sources over the years my conclusion is that there is not a large difference in effectiveness. The only caveat is that it's probably more important to use the best ammo in 9mm in order for effectiveness to be similar. I've been using Federal HST 147 grain and 124 grain +P in shorter barreled guns. There are several other good choices.

I think that a lot of people and Police Departments have concluded that there is not a lot of difference in effectiveness between .40 and 9mm assuming good loads are used.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
LT,

Truer words...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If I was elected Supreme Ruler of all the Earth the only three guns that would be purchased by any military or LE entity would be the Glock 17, Ruger LCR's, and AR's.

How "liberal" of you. laugh laugh laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 9 holds more rounds because it needs more rounds!

"the .30-06 is never a mistake"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Must be rough to be trapped in the 80's.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Must be rough to be trapped in the 80's.

LOL. grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Have these admin types taken college physics?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (22250rem, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,364
Posts18,506,392
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.