Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Stanimal,

My passion for the big bores has waned somewhat over the years. In fact, I seem to have become a dedicated medium bore slut. smile

However, I have owned two #1s in .375 H&H. I liked them very much. Likely, I'll buy another when I find a "pre-warning" one at a fair price. blush

I find them very shootable with 270 gr. bullets. However, with a healthy dose of IMR-4064 and 300 gr. Hornady RN,s they will definitely get your attention. smile

I have also owned #1's in .416 Rem, .416 Rigby, .416 Taylor. I still own the Remmy, but have yet to take it to the range. I can't see that the recoil will be any different that the Rigby. (same bullets at equal velocity) The Rigby was very shootable with 300, 325, and 350 gr. bullets. But substantially more recoil with the Horn 400 gr. RN. I made more than one "tough guy" a believer with 101 gr. of Re-22 and the Hornady 400 gr. smile I mean talk about a "Come-to-Jesus" meeting, smile They were ready to swear off sinning entirely and get religon. grin Actually the was the best use for that rifle. smile (Especially since there are very few marauding elephants in MI...)

Considering the chamberings that the 1-H is available in, I think the .375 and the .405 Win are the most useful. But I'd bet I'll have a .450/400 as soon as they are available. smile

Gtrasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Stanimal. I have Ruger #1H rifles in .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby. The .375 is rather pleasant and is quite accurate. The .404 jeffery kicks about like a 30-6, but that's because the guy I bought it from put a muzzle brake on the rifle. If I had my druthers, that brake would go. The .416 is flat out uncomfortable, although I can do about ten shots before getting shakey. The .375 has a scope on it while the .404 and .416 have the factory iron sights. Probably all three rifles could benefit from a better system that Ruger's hard little recoil plate. Sorry, I refuse to call it a recoil pad. I don't know what Ruger was thinking when they put those thin pieces of red rubber on the harder kicking rifle, so I must assume that they just like to keep their heads in warm dark places.
Something one should consider. Even ammo for a .375 H&H ain't cheap, and it's getting more expensive. Ammo for my .416 runs $125 and change for a box of Federal Premium which works out to $6.25 every time you pull the trigger. Definitely not plinking stuff.
Of the three cartridges, I'd probably suggest one in .375 H&H. Recoil with factory loads will still get your attention but will probably not damage your body. The .416 in a Ruger #1 hurt one of the shooters in a GUNTESTS article when they were testing the gun and comparing it with two others. They immediately recommended that people not buy the gun until Ruger puts betetr recoil protection on the butt. My thoughts at the time was he held it wrong, but unless you're careful, yes, it will hurt you.
If you decide on the .375, here's a load that is fun, accurate and relatively inexpensive to shoot. The RCBS cast bullet #37-250-FN, nominally a 250 gr. bullet, actual weight using wheel weight metal, 275 gr. over 49.0 gr. of IMR or H-4895. I've never chronied the load but from the bench 1.25 to 1.50" groups are the norm. Estimated velocity is about 1900-2000 FPS. It's a good load to practice rapid reloading with a single shot rifle. Recoil is about like a stiff 30-06 load. I size my bullets to .379"
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Got the blue walnut in a 1H in 405 Winchester. Nice rifle. Good fit and finish, and acceptable wood. Accurate as a drill press. I am also new to big bores, and I can say that the 405 ain't no kitty cat, but it doesn't hurt either. Figure the difference out -- the 405 tosses a factory 300 grainer downrange at 2270 fps from my 24" bbl. To do that it burns about 60 grains of powder, and the rifle weighs about 9.5 pounds all in.

The 416 Rigby in the same rifle is about a half a pound heavier, and it chases a 400 grainer downrange at 2400 fps and burns about 100 grains of powder. Guess which one recoils heavier? laugh

The 458 WM would be comparable I would guess -- heavier bullet, slower speed, and about the same amount of powder. I almost bought a 416 Rigby in the #1H, but the guy that owned it said the Sims Limbsaver took the sting out of the recoil, "but it still comes back pretty good." I passed. If anyone here wants, I will plead guilty to the wimp factor. smile

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If anyone here wants, I will plead guilty to the wimp factor.

What a wuss.... ! grin grin grin

I have yet to take my .405 to the range, so I can't comment on it's recoil... But I will say, that after 12 rounds thru my 1895 Win. in .405, it made an immeadiate detour to the gunsmith for a Pachmayr "Decelerator". smile I can't say that it made a whole lot of difference, tho'. grin

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just a quick piece of feedback from the NRA show (actually 2):

1. I handled a .375 H&H #1H and LOVED it. It may be a while but eventually one of these will most likely follow me home.

2. For those that are interested - the word at the Hornady booth was that the 450/400 NE ammo would be available starting in May (yes, of 2007). They had a dummy round there and I spent some time talking with one of their reps about it. It was the 400gr. soft point and looked like FUN! Don't know if they will be on the shelves by May as promised or not, but thought I'd pass this on in case anyone was interested. This one might give the .375 a run for my money.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info, Stanimal. Good to know I'm one step closer to getting my .450/400! good luck with the .375!

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
When I was quite young, I picked up a custom in .458 win (Douglass barrel built on an Eddystone action). Thing kicked like something awful. Got rid of it after getting the split stock fixed.

I saw a #1 in .458 win a couple of years ago, and found it shoots very comfortably. Since then, I got the bug -- .416 rem in #1, .416 rigby and .458 lott in m77. ALL of them are *pleasant*. What I mean is that I can/have put 15 rounds through my Lott with no bruising -- though my shoulder had a little soreness that passed in a day or so... So much has to do with fit and how you mount the gun (one thing that seems to have impact is clothing that is slippery -- don't know why, but I've found all of these much more unpleasant with my slippery winter coat). A few hints: don't mount the gun on the ball of your shoulder or on your arm... the stock should go in the "pocket" off your joint. Take a position that is a little more open -- with your body facing more towards the target. Make sure your left elbow is still UNDER the gun (THAT may feel a little strange, but you will get good accuracy anyway). Hold the stock SNUG against your shoulder. Boom! Enjoy! At least, that's the recipe that has worked for me.

Dan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (160user, 22kHornet, 257man, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.