Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Phuq the Front Range.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like most larger cities except for weekend commute and weather.

I live in semirural GA. Work would be in Lakewood.

Then you’ll definitely hate it if you live in semi rural GA.

IMHO, you'd be out of your mind.

You're going from semi-rural GA to a spot where 100's of thousands of Kalifornicators are running to get away from the liberal policies they helped to install, along with the whackos running the state.. and they're quickly accomplishing the same thing in CO, including taxing working people to death.

Look at it from another perspective. You've heard of "Follow the Money". Well, turn that around. Have you checked the salaries of state, county, and local govt workers in California? Different from where you're at, right? Where do you think the money for those salaries comes from? And, what do you think is going to happen when enough CA liberal leftist voters have completely saturated CO?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their idea of low income housing is more than I can afford.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My condolences. Personally I wouldnt live there if they were paying me 250k a year.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like most larger cities except for weekend commute and weather.

Lakewood is a suburb to the west of the city of Denver. Not too bad considering. Colfax (Hwy 40) is a major road. As such it attracts transients of all sorts. Parts of Lakewood are nice, quiet, and have good size lots. A little of everything. Golden, Edgewater, and Wheat Ridge are possibilities. The southwest side of Denver is also a possibility for location, but not for public education. Denver used to have a requirement for city employees mandating they live in Denver. Many police, fire, and utility employees lived in southwest Denver.

Stay away from the city of Sheridan. Prices are low, but it's a dump. Englewood and Littleton are possibilities depending on your work and the house location.

Aurora, Thornton, Northglenn, Brighton, Commerce City, Parker, and most anything north of I-70 or east of I-25 will aggravate the crap out of your commute.

Good luck with your search.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did y’all mention all the Dope dispensary’s there !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
You'll find yourself takin' the midnight train,...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cities With The Most Dispensaries
Marijuana Dispensaries Per 50,000
1. Missoula, Montana 18.1
2. Medford, Oregon 17.0
3. Pueblo, Colorado 16.6
4. Eugene, Oregon 16.1
5. Denver, Colorado 14.9

https://i0.wp.com/www.verilife.com/...State_of_Weed_Final.png?w=1200&ssl=1

Oklahoma has 9 cities in the top 30...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All of the above is true. I have lived in the westside Denver suburbs since 1982. Lived in Colorado Springs and Pueblo for 3 years before that. Have lived as an adult in the Boston suburbs along the south shore also, just for comparison sake. The growth along the Front Range since the 1970's has been appalling. There are bedroom subdivisions even being built 80 miles east of Denver in Deer Trail! That said, if you avoid the newer, larger suburbs (built in the last 20 years, including Highlands Ranch) most older residential areas have multiple "pockets" of niceness surrounded by not so nice pockets. You can live on a nice quiet tree lined block with good neighbors, and 3 blocks away the houses are trashed, and the neighbors similar. At least the older neighborhoods have more than 10 feet between houses, and front and back yards bigger than a postage stamp. So, especially in the Lakewood area, you can find a nice place to live that will not stagger you with its price. You just have to look and get lucky. Even modest rental houses are commanding $2K per month rent, so buying now while the interest rates are historically low makes sense.

That said, if you live and work on the west side you can avoid the terrible traffic north/south on I-25, and can bypass the more intermittent heavy traffic east/west on I-70. The west side puts you 25 miles closer to the mountains. We have a dozen or so decent restaurants in Golden, Lakewood, and Wheatridge, and unless you want to splurge at a new and trendy restaurant downtown, you dont have to go there. I suspect the east side--meaning Aurora--has its nice "pockets" as well, I am just not familiar with them. Denver proper is for those of us who count themselves as "dazzling urbanites." The rich do just fine, but on your budget I would avoid it. It has some very nice neighborhoods, similar to areas in Marietta Georgia, but way too pricey, and you are subject to the liberal Denver city council which is like living in SFO or LAX. No AR's allowed to Denver residents.

If you are going to work at the Federal Center in Lakewood, I would look west from there. Go up into the foothills along 285, or 74, or 72 and see what you can find. Last of all, learn to avoid being on the roads during rush hour, or on the mountain highways on the weekends. Do your skiing, hunting and fishing during the week if at all possible. There is a lot of God's country here, it is just getting harder and harder to get to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not thinking the Denver tourism association is going to be hunting any of you guys down to write pro-mos any time soon. LMAO

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I lived just south of Denver from 1999-2006. It wasn't THAT bad. I moved back to the front range (north of Denver now) in 2012. It f!cking sucks now. The entire front range sucks. As soon as I can sell the house, we are out of CO for good. CO is run by California scum sucking liberal garbage. It's sad, but fact. The only thing that could save CO is a load of daisy cutters dropped strategically.

ETA - 100k here is LOW.

Last edited by notamos; 04/18/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your working on the west side, look further west. Idaho Springs is a cool little mountain town 30 miles west of Lakewood. If you can avoid peak traffic, easy 30 min commute. If not, might take an hour.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by wytex
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by watch4bear
They have a beautiful brown cloud you can actually suck on.

Not any more.

Once again you are about 20 years out of date.

Wrong, just drive down from Wyoming. That brown cloud is still very visible.

We'll be seeing you up here, everyone else form Colorado comes up for the weekends.

Boy, ain't that the truth, greenies everywhere.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by notamos
I lived just south of Denver from 1999-2006. It wasn't THAT bad. I moved back to the front range (north of Denver now) in 2012. It f!cking sucks now. The entire front range sucks. As soon as I can sell the house, we are out of CO for good. CO is run by California scum sucking liberal garbage. It's sad, but fact. The only thing that could save CO is a load of daisy cutters dropped strategically.

ETA - 100k here is LOW.

You mean Eastern Colorado.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If your working on the west side, look further west. Idaho Springs is a cool little mountain town 30 miles west of Lakewood. If you can avoid peak traffic, easy 30 min commute. If not, might take an hour.

Yeah, sure - in the summer

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I’ve just visited a couple of times in the last few years and coming from semi rural Georgia you will be shocked by what a chithole the front range is and what un mitigated arseholes the Californians are. I don’t think I met any actual natives. The brown air is real ! Driving into the Denver metro area is like driving into a tailpipe. Unless this is a forced move by some kind of military commitment or a short term assignment with a big career payoff I’d say no way !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have fond memories of Colorado from years ago but moving out of the "front range"was the best thing I've done in years.
You really need to look at Craigslist for apartments and homes for rent in the burbs, Lakewood, Arvada, Wheatridge, Littleton, Aurora.
Know what you're getting into, it's not gonna be easy on a single income.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Moving to Denver

My sincere condolences............................

MM

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up in CO. My family homesteaded in CO before the Civil War. I was born in 63 and it was a great place to grow up in. I still have family in CO. You could not pay me to ever live there again. I don't even like going back to visit. The CO of my misbegotten cowboy youth is extinct. What exists there now is an eastern province of CA.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (35, BallisticBRYAN, Akhutr, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,878
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.