Print Thread
Hop To
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Read that the Sightron S11 is a good scope.If anyone has used the above 3 scopes,where would you put the Sightron at?.How much eye relief on it.Would it do well on a 300 Win mag?.I am looking at a 3-9x40 scope.
Appreciate any info on these,thank you.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Sightron SII Big Sky
Zeiss Conquest
Sightron SII
Nikon Monarch

In that order, based upon personal preference.

None of them are bad scopes at all.

FWIW, there's a helluva deal on a Sightron SII in the Free Classifieds right now; I'd snag that one and not think twice about it, if I were in your market.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I rank them performance wise:
Zeiss Conquest
Nikon Monarch
Sightron SII

This has nothing to do with performance, but I personally don't like the way the SII looks as well.

Good Luck

Reloader7RM

R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thank you both.
VAnimrod,thanks for the heads up on the classified.That is a 3.5x10-44 wth side knobs .The price is good as you had mentioned.But I was looking at a Sightron S11 3x9-42 without the sideknobs(which is at a much lower price).Is this also a good enough scope.I see that you rank the Sightron bigsky even higher than the Conquest!!!!.
How is the eyerelief on the Sightron as compared to the Conquest with 4" of eyerelief?.
Reloader 7RM,I have zero experience with the Sightrons.I like the Zeiss and the Nikon Monarch.Only thing is that the Nikon is much cheaper than the Conquest.So debating whether to save up for the Conquest or go with either the Nikon or the Sightron S11.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Personally, I do rank the Big Sky a touch higher than the Conquest. The glass, when you get into this range, is superb, and to one person's eyes one scope or the other might have the edge.

The Sightron has 3.9" to 4.1" of eye relief on the SII Big Sky 3-9x42 model. Their eye relief is also measured from the back edge of the ocular rim, not the glass. Some find that important, some don't.

I also like the low-profile target turrets. Mucho handy....

The Zeiss runs about $500. The Nikon about $250.... the Sightron, in the middle.

If funds are the deciding factor, the Nikon is a good scope. If funds aren't that much of a deciding factor, I'd go with the Sightron. And, I have.

Also, if you go with the Sightron, go with the Big Sky versions. The older SIIs are and were great scopes. The Big Sky versions are just better.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Raj
Thank you both.
VAnimrod,thanks for the heads up on the classified.That is a 3.5x10-44 wth side knobs .The price is good as you had mentioned.But I was looking at a Sightron S11 3x9-42 without the sideknobs(which is at a much lower price).Is this also a good enough scope.I see that you rank the Sightron bigsky even higher than the Conquest!!!!.
How is the eyerelief on the Sightron as compared to the Conquest with 4" of eyerelief?.
Reloader 7RM,I have zero experience with the Sightrons.I like the Zeiss and the Nikon Monarch.Only thing is that the Nikon is much cheaper than the Conquest.So debating whether to save up for the Conquest or go with either the Nikon or the Sightron S11.

I have a SII 3-9x42 on my .243 as you mention. It has very good glass and here is what she looks like....On the far right, sorry for lack of a close up...Very clear optics and for under 200$, not sure how you could go wrong...Customer service has already been tested on my end as the eyepiece adjustment was stuck when I got it. New scope was on my doorstep in 4 days....

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Raj Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
GMoney,thanks for the picture.Glad to hear that Sightron has good customer service.Been reading about the poor service from Zeiss and Leica on some of the threads here.The good customer service and the price(not to mention the positive inputs from all you gentlemen) make me think more towards the Sightron.Hope to hear from more people here, regarding these scopes.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have never had the chance to look through a Sightron but hope to someday. I did just buy a Zeiss Conquest from Doug and he had it to my door for under $400 shipped. I am very happy with it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just think the conquest is the great hands down best value out there for premium optic at a non premium price

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Disclaimer - haven't tried the Sightron Big Sky.

But I have an SII and so does a buddy - very nice scopes, but optics are not even close to the Conquest. I have Leupold VXIII's, Zeiss Conquests, Bushnell Elite 3200's, and the Sightron. I would rank 'em this way based on optical performance - 1. Conquest, 2. Leupold, and a tie for #3 between the SII and Elites, but quite a ways behind #1 and #2.

Reliability wise, I have only had issues with the Elites - have had to send two back, and customer service stunk.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gmoney. You already broke it!? as you say, grin.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ken,

Sent it back before I even mounted it atop my rifle. The eyepiece adjustment was frozen....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an SII and now own a Monarch. Never looked through a Conquest. For what it's worth, I'd buy an SII again. In my experience the SII is every bit as good as any other scope in their respective price ranges.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Does Sightron make a straight 6X with turrets? How does it compare with the Leupold 6X with target turrets? It is for a .308 winchester rifle.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Their Big Sky 6x42 has a standard hunting type turret that is re-indexable to zero, so can be used in the same capacity as a tactical/target turret. VANimrod has a bit of experience with Sightrons and thinks highly of them. Here's a couple of links:

6x42 Big Sky

some pictures

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 72 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,049
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.